[N64] Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - "Battle Among Friends: Adeleine" by LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, May 26, 2021, 08:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Kirby
Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Battle Among Friends: Adeleine
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Zeila

Not much to say about this, good work!

• 2/2 or cut time instead of 4/4?
  • The pickup sounds like G-A to me instead of G-Bb but I'm unsure...
  • I don't know why you wrote m8 with an F# but then wrote Bb-Bn or Eb-En in measures 2/4/etc. instead of A#-Bn or D#-En
  • Also following up on that, it sounds like those Bb's are A's like the pickup anyways
  • The only difference between m1-12 and 13-end seems to be the 8va at the end, so maybe you could just write a note saying to do that the first time only in order for the sheet to fit on one page

LeviR.star

Quote from: Zeila on June 02, 2021, 09:50:04 PMNot much to say about this, good work!

Thanks! This one was fun :D

Quote from: Zeila on June 02, 2021, 09:50:04 PM
  • 2/2 or cut time instead of 4/4?
  • The pickup sounds like G-A to me instead of G-Bb but I'm unsure...
  • I don't know why you wrote m8 with an F# but then wrote Bb-Bn or Eb-En in measures 2/4/etc. instead of A#-Bn or D#-En
  • Also following up on that, it sounds like those Bb's are A's like the pickup anyways
  • The only difference between m1-12 and 13-end seems to be the 8va at the end, so maybe you could just write a note saying to do that the first time only in order for the sheet to fit on one page

- sure, I can roll with 2/2. I'm assuming the tempo marking can stay as it's written?
- I listened to it again, I'm sure that it's a B-flat/A-sharp
- IIRC, I did that to match the B-flats in the right hand. But that was a silly reason, I'll re-write it with sharps instead
- again, I'm certain that it's not an A natural
- as much as I'd like to keep it all on one page, that's not the only difference. The other is the figure in the second half of left hand part in measure 16

Thanks for the feedback, Zeila! Files are fixed.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Zeila

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 06, 2021, 08:24:29 PM- sure, I can roll with 2/2. I'm assuming the tempo marking can stay as it's written?
Yup that's right

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 06, 2021, 08:24:29 PM- I listened to it again, I'm sure that it's a B-flat/A-sharp
- again, I'm certain that it's not an A natural
Yikes uh, idk how I heard it as A natural at that point in time when it's pretty clear to me now. So yeah you're right

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 06, 2021, 08:24:29 PM- as much as I'd like to keep it all on one page, that's not the only difference. The other is the figure in the second half of left hand part in measure 16
My mistake, it's always annoying when there's a tiny difference in the whole repeat

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 06, 2021, 08:24:29 PMThanks for the feedback, Zeila! Files are fixed.
Np! :3

Latios212

This looks great. Just one thing, the 8vas start a bit far to the left; they should start above the noteheads instead of hanging out to the eighth rest before.

Will sign off for someone else to take a look!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

This looks great, just two things from me.

1. I know Zeila suggested you change this, and the reasoning does kind of make sense, but I feel very uneasy seeing the A#s and D#s written in this.  This is standard 12 bar blues, and the blues scale is always written C Eb F F# G Bb C.  The Bns and the Ens are chromatic passing notes fitting in to this scale, so I really think it should be written C Eb En and G Bb Bn to follow this.  You'll notice that the C F F# already fits into the blues scale.  (The grace D#s in 7 and 19 are fine.)

2. The left hand is pretty intense, and also I feel like it's a little lacklustre just hammering away at the same note constantly.  One thing you might want to try out is imitating the snare pattern by raising every beat 2 or 4 note up the octave.  This should also make it a bit easier for the performer to play.  Something to think about, anyway.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on June 22, 2021, 04:30:39 PMThis looks great, just two things from me.

1. I know Zeila suggested you change this, and the reasoning does kind of make sense, but I feel very uneasy seeing the A#s and D#s written in this.  This is standard 12 bar blues, and the blues scale is always written C Eb F F# G Bb C.  The Bns and the Ens are chromatic passing notes fitting in to this scale, so I really think it should be written C Eb En and G Bb Bn to follow this.  You'll notice that the C F F# already fits into the blues scale.  (The grace D#s in 7 and 19 are fine.)

2. The left hand is pretty intense, and also I feel like it's a little lacklustre just hammering away at the same note constantly.  One thing you might want to try out is imitating the snare pattern by raising every beat 2 or 4 note up the octave.  This should also make it a bit easier for the performer to play.  Something to think about, anyway.

Did both of these!

LeviR.star

Oops, I missed a comment.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 22, 2021, 03:47:01 PMThis looks great. Just one thing, the 8vas start a bit far to the left; they should start above the noteheads instead of hanging out to the eighth rest before.

Are you sure? Last time I was asked to adjust an 8va, I was told it wasn't far enough to the left, and that 8vas need to start before the first notehead to be clear.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 27, 2021, 09:05:27 PMOops, I missed a comment.

Are you sure? Last time I was asked to adjust an 8va, I was told it wasn't far enough to the left, and that 8vas need to start before the first notehead to be clear.

Yeah, the ones in this sheet start a bit too far to the left. They need to start just before the first notehead—the ones here are extending all the way out to the previous eighth rest. Examples:

[close]

[close]
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 27, 2021, 09:05:27 PMAre you sure? Last time I was asked to adjust an 8va, I was told it wasn't far enough to the left, and that 8vas need to start before the first notehead to be clear.
Ah sorry if this was unclear. Here's what we mean.

Finale's default places the 8va a bit much to the right, which is why we suggest that people bump it left a bit:
You cannot view this attachment.

What you have is too much to the left, so that the 8va actually extends as far as the previous beat:

What we're suggesting is only a slight nudge from Finale's default position so that the 8 is slightly left of the notehead and the note "feels fully covered" by the marking. The positioning doesn't have to be pixel perfect but something along the lines of what MSF showed above will do:

Behind Bars says...
[close]

I've updated the files accordingly (along with the v26 articulation reset).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Levi said he was happy with these edits on the server, so I'll accept now and Levi can review Latios' post in the archive.  Feel free to ask questions about it in the server as well, if you need to.

Zeta