News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Games Make You Smarter

Started by MasterPenguin, August 19, 2008, 05:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterPenguin

QuoteAccording to a blockbuster presentation at the American Psychological Association convention in Boston recently, it turns out video games can actually make you smarter, reported by Boston Herald.

The details are as below:

Researchers detailed a series of studies showing that today's gamers could well be tomorrow's surgeons. Their surprising conclusions included:

The popular multiplayer online game "World of Warcraft" can improve scientific thinking.

Laparoscopic surgeons who play video games are 27 percent faster at advanced surgical procedures and made 37 percent fewer errors than non-gamers.

"There are some very compelling cases that video-game playing leads to advanced problem-solving in math, science, and spatial skills," said Fordham University psychologist Fran C. Blumberg. "I do think it has benefits."

The study of surgeons was conducted by Iowa State University psychologist Dr. Douglas Gentile; Dr. Paul Lynch, associate professor of anestheology at the Mayo Clinic; and other researchers.

"I noticed that, invariably, the doctors who played video games were better at surgery," Lynch said.

Gentile and Lynch argue that video games are producing a generation of more adept surgeons. And here's the good news: The rest of the game-playing world is reaping benefits too.

With 92 percent of kids playing some sort of video game, Gentile says it's become a "natural learning tool" for younger audiences.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2008-08-19/20080819010725743.shtml

Read more about it Here.

Games make you smarter.

Jamaha

QuoteThe popular multiplayer online game "World of Warcraft" can improve scientific thinking.

Here we go.

Mike

Quote from: JaMaHa on August 19, 2008, 06:25:24 AM
QuoteThe popular multiplayer online game "World of Warcraft" can improve scientific thinking.

Here we go.

Haha yeah right. Good luck applying "WoW science" in real life.

"I'll go beat up some hobos so I can level up and add +1 to my surgeon skills."

Composer #40

Now they should study what happens to those that play mindless hack-y-slash games.

It happens Every. Day!

Davey

no wai! i new dat playin vidja games wur onli helpin mai readjing and righting scills.

WiiMan96

^ lol!!!

And now with Brain Training and Trauma Center (and Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon, to a lesser extent) gamers (or rather casual gamers) can learn momre! Just looe at me writubce skeadadv jneifjnbqeke;d jnegbjnwut4nuiojba...

Old jitter's tube socks, I need to get those games out of their box again...   :-[ ;)

Dude

For the love of god...

READ THE DATES OF POSTS BEFORE YOU POST!!!

God damnit!

acropol

Quote from: Dude on September 20, 2008, 02:15:53 PMFor the love of god...

READ THE DATES OF POSTS BEFORE YOU POST!!!

God damnit!

it's not like one month is that far away..

Dude

If it's one page back, or at least a month old, then it doesn't need to be posted in anymore, unless the post is worth posting.

WiiMan96

Thanks, one day older that a month  >:(

Harvest

-

WiiMan96