News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[SW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons - "2:00 A.M." by Whoppybones

Started by Zeta, June 05, 2021, 10:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Animal Crossing
Game: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: 2:00 A.M.
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Whoppybones

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

It's helpful if you provide us with a link to the original audio, it just makes the checking process that much smoother. In this case, I have some files here. (if anyone needs these in another format let me know)

This is in pretty good condition, especially compared with your previous sheet, so nice work! Even so, I took care of some extra formatting adjustments that you can find in the file linked below. Now for some feedback:
  • You're missing a tempo marking.
  • The 8th rests in the LH should be aligned horizontally.
  • The chord on beat 3 of m4 and similar also has a D an octave above the bass, but I think it's fine to not include it. It makes it simpler to play, and more importantly - including every note doubling can sometimes be a detriment to a piano-only arrangement. For this piece, a more sparse texture is appropriate.
  • It would be less confusing if you just put this chord in the RH, since it fits snugly within the melody part. In addition, this should be a Dmaj7 chord instead of just Dmaj, so C#-F# instead of D-F#.
  • The Rainy/Snowy label should ideally be just one box instead of two.

Here's a .mus file for you with all the above changes, plus formatting adjustments (text is within the margins, improved staff and system spacing, page margins, etc.). Any future changes you should be able to make with just NotePad. If these changes look good to you, generate and upload the other files and I can approve.

Whoppybones

Quote from: Static on June 22, 2021, 11:15:18 PMIt's helpful if you provide us with a link to the original audio.
    That would be why I didn't notice that someone responded... I forgot to add my links, so it didn't show up in my inbox. Oops.

Quote from: Static on June 22, 2021, 11:15:18 PMThis is in pretty good condition, especially compared with your previous sheet, so nice work!
    Thanks!

Quote from: Static on June 22, 2021, 11:15:18 PM
    • You're missing a tempo marking.
    Again? I always get it right in the system, but forget to note it on the sheet.  :P

• The 8th rests in the LH should be aligned horizontally.
    • The chord on beat 3 of m4 and similar also has a D an octave above the bass, but I think it's fine to not include it. It makes it simpler to play, and more importantly - including every note doubling can sometimes be a detriment to a piano-only arrangement. For this piece, a more sparse texture is appropriate.
    • It would be less confusing if you just put this chord in the RH, since it fits snugly within the melody part. In addition, this should be a Dmaj7 chord instead of just Dmaj, so C#-F# instead of D-F#.
    No clue what you're talking about, so thanks for fixing it!

• The Rainy/Snowy label should ideally be just one box instead of two.
    Yeah... Originally it was going to be 2 separate parts, but then I realized that the difference between the two was basically impossible for solo piano, so I combined them. I can't make those myself (that I know of) so I was unable to change that. Thanks.
    [/list]

Looks good now! Thank you so much! Files have been updated.

Static

Quote from: Whoppybones on June 25, 2021, 08:34:36 AMNo clue what you're talking about, so thanks for fixing it!

- For the rest alignment, I mean that they should generally all be lined up with each other, usually flush with the top of the staff when multiple layers are present. Take a look at this screenshot and compare it to the current sheet:
    Spoiler
    [close]
    - For the chord in m8, i simply mean there's a D that plays in the guitar part an octave above the bass. You didn't include it, and I don't think you should, so not much to say here.
    - For the third point, I meant m20 specifically; hopefully by seeing the new version you can see what I meant here. The 2nd layer whole notes were originally played by the LH, but fit more naturally in the RH part.

Hope that all makes sense. I'll approve now

Edit: as for the snowy variation, you could reasonably add the upper voice if you wanted to. I think it's OK to leave it out, but it wouldn't be impossible to play it with the RH alongside the melody. Maybe someone else can weigh in as well.

Whoppybones

Just realized I forgot to correct the composer, so I have now edited the .mus and .pdf files. Hopefully the formatting is still correct... :)

Static

Quote from: Whoppybones on July 01, 2021, 09:44:22 AMJust realized I forgot to correct the composer, so I have now edited the .mus and .pdf files. Hopefully the formatting is still correct... :)
    You were actually right the first time, composer credits are here. Should just be Kazumi Totaka.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on June 25, 2021, 09:09:26 AMEdit: as for the snowy variation, you could reasonably add the upper voice if you wanted to. I think it's OK to leave it out, but it wouldn't be impossible to play it with the RH alongside the melody. Maybe someone else can weigh in as well.
    I think it could go either way, you can probably fine a way to work it in most places but I don't mind it being absent. Whoppybones, any comment?

Aside from that it looks good, just a couple of spacing things:
    - Composer info is super close to the game title and could be lowered a bit
    - There's an extra space before the 8va in the expression text at the beginning, and it should also be moved to the right more to visually separate it from the tempo marking.
    My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
    who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
    [close]
    turtle

Whoppybones

I'm fine just leaving out the upper voice. Also, should I be changing the composer back? I'm kind of confused now, especially since what I changed it to is what was accepted for my previous sheet.

Finally, any chance one of you guys could fix the formatting? I use Notepad, and I don't really know what I'm doing... :D

Static

Quote from: Whoppybones on July 13, 2021, 02:51:23 PMI'm fine just leaving out the upper voice. Also, should I be changing the composer back? I'm kind of confused now, especially since what I changed it to is what was accepted for my previous sheet.

That album wasn't released yet when you had submitted that sheet, so we didn't know lol
    I'll be editing the on on-site shortly, along with a few others...

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on July 06, 2021, 04:47:49 PM- There's an extra space before the 8va in the expression text at the beginning, and it should also be moved to the right more to visually separate it from the tempo marking.
    Quote from: Whoppybones on July 13, 2021, 02:51:23 PMFinally, any chance one of you guys could fix the formatting? I use Notepad, and I don't really know what I'm doing... :D

Quote from: Static on July 01, 2021, 10:17:07 AMYou were actually right the first time, composer credits are here. Should just be Kazumi Totaka.

I've made these updates to the files. Good to go!
    My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
    who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
    [close]
    turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot