Game: ToeJam & Earl
Console: Sega Genesis
Title: ToeJam Jammin'
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Nine Lives

[attachment deleted by admin]

NineLives

Source:
Just so mods, updaters, etc. know, some low notes on the right hand part and high notes on the left hand part have had some octave changes so the two parts don't clash and the piece is a bit easier to play. Just thought I'd put it out there in case that initial question would've come up.

Static

Quote from: NineLives on June 04, 2021, 11:16:36 AMJust so mods, updaters, etc. know, some low notes on the right hand part and high notes on the left hand part have had some octave changes so the two parts don't clash and the piece is a bit easier to play. Just thought I'd put it out there in case that initial question would've come up.
I think the way you moved around the parts completely makes sense here from a performance view.

• This piece actually uses mostly the G blues scale, so I'd recommend G major or minor as the key signature. Major is technically the "correct" one but minor is probably easier to read.
  • The bassline looks great all the way through, but the melody starting at m17 needs some attention. There's quite a few differences I'm hearing in the original, so here's m17-20 as an example (last G is moved up an octave):

I know it's hard to hear that synth clearly, but I think you should go through the m17 section one more time. Maybe raise the track up an octave in Audacity, or split the tracks using some external program or emulator. If you want help let me know.

Otherwise, not much to say here. Looks pretty good!

NineLives

All right. I took a few minutes to look over the section and have come up with what I have in the sheet now. Hopefully, it's a bit more accurate. Also, I'm not too sure on changing the key signature, since if I did either G minor or major, there'd be tons more accidentals to be written in and E flat nor F sharp are common at all in the sheet.

Static

m17-32 sounds much better! Just a few extra things to clean up:
  • m24: Gb should be F# (D7 chord). Also, the C on beat 2.5 should be D, and the C on beat 4.5 should be Bb.
  • m28: The D on beat 2 should be flat, and it sounds like there's an 8th note F on beat 4.5 (or maybe it's a D). Kinda hard to hear.
  • m32: I don't hear the G on beat 4.

Regarding the key signature, that's just how a lot of blues pieces are gonna look on paper unfortunately. But key signatures shouldn't be chosen simply to eliminate accidentals, they should tell the reader something about the tonal center (at least most of the time). It's OK to have many accidentals in these cases.

NineLives

All right. I've made the couple of changes. For the G in m32, it's there, it's just an octave lower in the source, so it's hard to hear.
Quote from: Static on June 22, 2021, 10:02:52 PMRegarding the key signature, that's just how a lot of blues pieces are gonna look on paper unfortunately. But key signatures shouldn't be chosen simply to eliminate accidentals, they should tell the reader something about the tonal center (at least most of the time). It's OK to have many accidentals in these cases.
Mkay then. I changed the signature to G minor.

Static

Sweet, looks good to me then. I'll give this one an approval

Latios212

Sorry for the wait! This one's almost ready to go, just a few small comments:
- Make sure your staff spacing is consistent on page 2 - m. 41 system has too much space above it. You can also probably move the music down a bit on page 3 away from the header.
- I recommend a D.C. at the end since there's already a repeat bar in the middle
- In m. 6-7 and 38-39, the low G actually falls on beat 4.5 of the first measure instead of beat 1 of the second measure.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot