How do you credit a transcription of an arrangement?

Started by Alpacatron, June 08, 2021, 06:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpacatron

So for a submission, let's say the piece is already a piano arrangement of an existing theme from an earlier game, and I'm transcribing this, as opposed to actually arranging the theme for piano myself. Do I just put the original composer and arranger on there, or also include myself as "Transcribed by"?
BFa Music (Jazz Bass)

Kricketune54

Quote from: Alpacatron on June 08, 2021, 06:49:11 AMSo for a submission, let's say the piece is already a piano arrangement of an existing theme from an earlier game, and I'm transcribing this, as opposed to actually arranging the theme for piano myself. Do I just put the original composer and arranger on there, or also include myself as "Transcribed by"?

If I understand correctly- this is song from a game OST that is a theme originating from another game in a series.  Here's an example from Smash Bros. that I think should answer your question:

Maelstrom

Just a reminder that we only host arrangements of songs directly from video games, not transcriptions of other arrangements from a piano collection arrange album or something. You're still welcome to transcribe and share it, even if it won't be hosted on the site.

Alpacatron

Thank you!
This is a transcription of a piano arrangement from the PC sequel to an NES game.
So, my transcription is still directly from the PC game soundtrack, even though it is itself a piano arrangement of an NES theme.
How would this work?
BFa Music (Jazz Bass)

Kricketune54

Quote from: Alpacatron on June 08, 2021, 03:06:53 PMThank you!
This is a transcription of a piano arrangement from the PC sequel to an NES game.
So, my transcription is still directly from the PC game soundtrack, even though it is itself a piano arrangement of an NES theme.
How would this work?

I mean from the sounds of it if it is a piano song from a game they can submit this fine. 

It really doesn't matter that the theme originated on the NES (example, see all the various Mario themes that were on the NES and now proliferate as new versions/remixes through games on the Wii, Switch, etc.).

The arrangement you have made, is by NSM standards, a song from a PC game and you would indicate the theme is from that PC game.

As I indicated in the screenshot I attached, if there's a different composer for the PC game than the original theme, than put it on your sheet the way it is shown in the screenshot.

To save further confusion, could you drop a link to this song you have arranged?

Alpacatron

Sure thing! It's the "Piano Theme" from Bionic Commando for PC.
So there's the original composer, the arranger for the PC game soundtrack, and then my transcription of his arrangement.
BFa Music (Jazz Bass)

Maelstrom

Yep, that's fine.

Edit: assuming this is the 2009 remake, it might be better to say it's from multiple consoles, since it was a multiplat release