Game: Pokémon Colosseum
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Friendly Battle
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

The theme of Zigzagoon (if you know, you know).

I spent a lot of time on an accompaniment for this one; I posted in Discord previously lamenting the bass part.  After trying about 4 different things of varying faithfulness, I like this one enough (thanks also to Olimar for helping).

Outside accompaniment, most notable stuff is that I pulled up the piano line to wherever the melody was; I generally tried to keep it to three fingers in the RH having to do anything at one given time.  I also omitted the acoustic guitar runs going on at m25-30 because I didn't think they looked great/fit in with the other RH chords.

Kind of a full circle homage to my first arrangement with this one, as it was about a year ago I submitted Normal Battle haha

Latios212

Nice, your sheets are really looking good lately ;)

Not checking the sheet right now, but just a few things as I pass by:
- I think you should be able to fit this on 2 pages with 5 systems each
- Is the bass displaced an octave downwards in m. 9 just because the RH gets low there? I actually think all the places with a C bass would sound good lowered like m. 9.
- Misaligned dyad at the end of m. 13
- Rest placement of most/all of m. 16-20 should be center staff as normal
- Watch your chord spellings in m. 27-30. The bass is playing A so write that first chord as an A chord (C# instead of Db). Respell the next few to have B, C#, and B as the root
- Having two layers in the right hand in the last few measures doesn't make any sense from a performance standpoint. It'd be better off in one layer and you can use some articulation marks to differentiate how to play the chord strikes.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212 on July 01, 2021, 04:09:24 PMNice, your sheets are really looking good lately ;)

Clearly, I have mastered the MuseScore conversion  :-X

Not checking the sheet right now, but just a few things as I pass by:
- I think you should be able to fit this on 2 pages with 5 systems each

Quote- Is the bass displaced an octave downwards in m. 9 just because the RH gets low there? I actually think all the places with a C bass would sound good lowered like m. 9.

This was the reasoning, but I have now made all of the rhythms like this.  Though I did pull the C up an octave on beat 4 from how it was in m9 originally.

Quote- Having two layers in the right hand in the last few measures doesn't make any sense from a performance standpoint. It'd be better off in one layer and you can use some articulation marks to differentiate how to play the chord strikes.

I put a tenuto mark over the now dotted quarters- left the eights untouched.

Everything else not addressed in this post should be fixed though

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on July 01, 2021, 04:09:24 PM- Watch your chord spellings in m. 27-30. The bass is playing A so write that first chord as an A chord (C# instead of Db). Respell the next few to have B, C#, and B as the root
I didn't mean just the root, but the spellings of all the notes in the chord :)

These triads don't make a lot of sense as written:
B Eb Gb -> rewrite as B D# F# which spells a B major chord
C# E Ab -> rewrite as C# E G# which spells a C# minor chord

Further reading in this topic (particularly points 4 and 6 for this)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

*Facepalms*

I should have known to do that haha I literally sat there and almost changed those ones too but didn't

Fixed

Latios212

Cool cool

Other feedback for the rest:
- I'm not sure that there should be an extra G at the end of m. 6; it sounds like the G falls on the first beat of the next measure (where it resolves to a C chord).
- You might want to give that segno sign above measure 7 a bit more vertical space - it's as close to the measure above it as it is to the RH staff. You can raise the first system a bit or maybe slightly reduce the LH/RH staff spacing a bit in some systems that don't need as much in order to make some room.
- I'd suggest keeping the rest heights in m. 13 and 16 at a consistent height (either filling up the lower two staff spaces, or off the staff).
- You can certainly afford to use more varied dynamics. I'd recommend f instead of mf at measure 1 and 17. The section at m. 23 seems more like mf, with the last few bars being a buildup back to the f at the beginning of the loop.

I don't have too much else to say, this is pretty well done :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote- I'm not sure that there should be an extra G at the end of m. 6; it sounds like the G falls on the first beat of the next measure (where it resolves to a C chord).

It initially sounded like the last run in m6 was a little faster but I can hear the resolution (G) being in m7.  Fixed

Quote- You might want to give that segno sign above measure 7 a bit more vertical space - it's as close to the measure above it as it is to the RH staff. You can raise the first system a bit or maybe slightly reduce the LH/RH staff spacing a bit in some systems that don't need as much in order to make some room.

Raised first system, lowered the third a bit.  Not sure if system 1 is too high now though

Quote- I'd suggest keeping the rest heights in m. 13 and 16 at a consistent height (either filling up the lower two staff spaces, or off the staff).

fixed

Quote- You can certainly afford to use more varied dynamics. I'd recommend f instead of mf at measure 1 and 17. The section at m. 23 seems more like mf, with the last few bars being a buildup back to the f at the beginning of the loop.

I'm assuming you meant m7 on this- m17 didn't sound like it warranted a dynamic change imo. I added F to m1 and m7, also made m23 mf.  I added a crescendo at m31- do you have to have dynamics at either end of it?  I wasn't sure if I needed to note like cres. to forte for when the sheet loops back.

Latios212

Oops yeah I meant to say 7 instead of 17. Adjusted dynamics look good!

The other changes look good too!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212 on July 19, 2021, 08:06:22 PMOops yeah I meant to say 7 instead of 17. Adjusted dynamics look good!

The other changes look good too!

Epique

mastersuperfan

- It might be nice to move all the systems on the first page up a bit; you have a bit of extra space below the composer/arranger info, but the score gets very close to the copyright info at the bottom.
- Could you move the dynamic in m1 right just a tiny bit so that it's centered with the noteheads on beat 1?
- The repeated C on beats 3.75 and 4 in m1-4/7-14 LH may be tiring. How about moving 3.5 up an octave and 3.75 down an octave in these measures?
- In m1-4/7-14 LH, it sounds to me like the LH might be alternating between C and Bb, but it's hard for me to tell because the bassline isn't clear. Another voice might just be getting in the way for me. So just go with whichever way you like better.
- Maybe consider a tremolo in the LH in m5-6 to enhance the buildup?
- How do you intend for m12 RH to be played? Do you intend for the pedal to be held down? If so, I would suggest writing Layer 2 as a half note instead of a dotted quarter just to be cleaner. If not, then I would suggest making it a shorter note length so the player isn't trying to hold it down while simultaneously playing the scale.
- I would suggest moving the G on m15 RH beat 1 to Layer 2 so that it's clear that it's part of the accompanying harmony, not the melody.
- Any reason why m15 RH beat 2.5 is written as a C-Eb dyad? There's definitely a G on top there as well.
- m15-19 would be significantly easier to play if you moved beat 4.5 up an octave so that the LH wouldn't have to keep jumping down every measure.
- In m17 RH, I hear G's instead of Ab's.
- Any reason why Layer 2 contains triads instead of dyads in m18? I would try to be consistent unless you have a reason otherwise.
- Courtesy naturals to the LH (both octaves) in m20 might be helpful.
- The chord in m21 sounds like it has a C under the Eb that you could write in on Layer 2 beat 1.
- In m21, you could also add Bb (one octave below the high Bb on beat 1) to beats 2.5 and 4 to add some extra punch to the rhythm.
- You could move the dynamic in m23 up a bit.
- m31-34: I personally dislike using tenutos in piano arrangements except in rare cases because they're so notationally ambiguous and ill-defined, but... it's fine. Just my two cents.
- The crescendo should extend a bit further in the last measure, through the last notehead.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Kricketune54

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 28, 2021, 10:41:18 PM- It might be nice to move all the systems on the first page up a bit; you have a bit of extra space below the composer/arranger info, but the score gets very close to the copyright info at the bottom.
- Could you move the dynamic in m1 right just a tiny bit so that it's centered with the noteheads on beat 1?
- The repeated C on beats 3.75 and 4 in m1-4/7-14 LH may be tiring. How about moving 3.5 up an octave and 3.75 down an octave in these measures?

fixed

Quote- In m1-4/7-14 LH, it sounds to me like the LH might be alternating between C and Bb, but it's hard for me to tell because the bassline isn't clear. Another voice might just be getting in the way for me. So just go with whichever way you like better.

I'd recommend using audacity and pitching up an octave, it was pretty clear for me there that it's C

Quote- Maybe consider a tremolo in the LH in m5-6 to enhance the buildup?

Only reason I didn't before was I wasn't really confident if the RH alone is able to do those runs.  It makes sense for buildup though.

Quote- How do you intend for m12 RH to be played? Do you intend for the pedal to be held down? If so, I would suggest writing Layer 2 as a half note instead of a dotted quarter just to be cleaner. If not, then I would suggest making it a shorter note length so the player isn't trying to hold it down while simultaneously playing the scale.

Idea was to do those chords but to move on from them to do the run.  I made first notes a half note, and the Bb and F in layer 2 a quarter.

Quote- I would suggest moving the G on m15 RH beat 1 to Layer 2 so that it's clear that it's part of the accompanying harmony, not the melody.
- Any reason why m15 RH beat 2.5 is written as a C-Eb dyad? There's definitely a G on top there as well.

Fixed

Quote- m15-19 would be significantly easier to play if you moved beat 4.5 up an octave so that the LH wouldn't have to keep jumping down every measure.

moved all of beat 4 up an octave and made the measures like the earlier I changed

Quote- In m17 RH, I hear G's instead of Ab's.

The Ab was what I heard the piano playing.  Sounded like an Ab raised C chord there.  But I made it G's because it sounded like it also fit and maybe more in line with "meldoy" notes.

- Any reason why Layer 2 contains triads instead of dyads in m18? I would try to be consistent unless you have a reason otherwise.
Quote- Courtesy naturals to the LH (both octaves) in m20 might be helpful.
I... don't know how to do this.  I tried looking in the time I had but didn't find anything.

Quote- The chord in m21 sounds like it has a C under the Eb that you could write in on Layer 2 beat 1.
- In m21, you could also add Bb (one octave below the high Bb on beat 1) to beats 2.5 and 4 to add some extra punch to the rhythm.
- You could move the dynamic in m23 up a bit.

fixed this stuff

Quote- m31-34: I personally dislike using tenutos in piano arrangements except in rare cases because they're so notationally ambiguous and ill-defined, but... it's fine. Just my two cents.

removed

Quote- The crescendo should extend a bit further in the last measure, through the last notehead.

fixed

Okay I think that was everything, reuploaded

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 29, 2021, 04:12:40 AMOnly reason I didn't before was I wasn't really confident if the RH alone is able to do those runs.  It makes sense for buildup though.
It should be pretty doable since the runs are only five fingers each.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 29, 2021, 04:12:40 AMI... don't know how to do this.  I tried looking in the time I had but didn't find anything.
If you select the note and hit "P," it'll create a courtesy accidental. If you hit P a second time, it'll remove the parentheses. It's personal preference whether or not to use the parentheses (less conventional and more cluttered, but more clearly conveys that it's a courtesy accidental).

The mp in m5 could also be moved up a tiny bit.

Otherwise, that's all I've got. Great work!
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Since you posted in the away topic, I've taken the liberty of making those last two changes for you. Accepting!

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by mastersuperfan.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot