Started by Latios212, October 03, 2021, 05:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

[SW] Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir
    Utsugi Detective Agency [Original]
    Memories [Original]

[SW] Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind
    Old School Building [Original]

Hang on, three sheets? Let me explain...
    Quote from: Static on September 30, 2021, 03:39:01 PMOnly 1 (one) sheet per person. We may allow more than that if the pieces are very short, and we may not allow pieces that are extremely long.[/li][/list]
    The first two sheets are direct transcriptions of fairly short piano pieces - 1 page each. The third is only 4 measures long. Hope that's okay~
    My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
    who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
    [close]
    turtle

Bloop

i feel like listening to some piano stuff yes

Memories
    -m1: I don't think the A in the R.H. is really there, it just sounds like an overtone of the L.H. A to me.
    -m3: Same thing about the A here, I think this should be a rolled E-C as well (the A and E are played at the same time, and the C a fraction later)
    -m13: I don't think the first note here is rolled: or well, not any more rolled than the notes that surround it. The top note sounds like it's always played a little bit later than the rest, but I don't know if this one really needs the special roll treatment.
    -m16-17: I think the note distribution here is a bit different than you have it:
    You cannot view this attachment.
    The bottom notes of the R.H. dyads in beats 2 and 4 are the same as the notes you had in the L.H., and I hear a C as well on beat 2 of m17 that made me realize how this two bar accompaniment worked.
    Actually, if you compare m15-19 to m6-9 now, you might think that m6-9 should be notated like this:
    The A and G on beats 2 and 4 of m7 are a bit softer than the other notes, which made me believe that they're the accompaniment and not the melody. Maybe you really hear the melody differently though, which is fine too, but it's worth thinking about at least!

Utsugi Detective Agency
    -m14: I think there's a G on the "missing" 16th note in the L.H. at beat 5.5, though it's very faint. I can barely hear it in audiostretch, but I'm glad I do hear it because it seems like it'd fit perfectly.
    -m15: unfortunately, i don't hear an Eb on the missing 16th on beat 1.5 :c Something else though, how's this fingering?
    The 1-5 at the ending you have is a bit awkward to play, in my fingering every finger is at (almost) the right place for the following chord.

Old School Building
    Minor thing, but how would you feel about Fb instead of En in m4? Looks fine otherwise!

Latios212

Quote from: Bloop on October 07, 2021, 01:53:19 PMUtsugi Detective Agency
    -m14: I think there's a G on the "missing" 16th note in the L.H. at beat 5.5, though it's very faint. I can barely hear it in audiostretch, but I'm glad I do hear it because it seems like it'd fit perfectly.
    -m15: unfortunately, i don't hear an Eb on the missing 16th on beat 1.5 :c Something else though, how's this fingering?
    The 1-5 at the ending you have is a bit awkward to play, in my fingering every finger is at (almost) the right place for the following chord.
    Ah yes! Both of these make a lot of sense, updated :)

Quote from: Bloop on October 07, 2021, 01:53:19 PMOld School Building
    Minor thing, but how would you feel about Fb instead of En in m4? Looks fine otherwise!
    I initially thought that En would be more sensible in a C minor(ish?) key, but looking at it again yeah it makes sense chromatically descending and preventing the need for any cancelling accidentals in m. 4, making it visually parallel with the other three measures. Changed!

I'll get to Memories soon~

Spoiler
    [close]
    turtle

Bloop

Great! I'll move those two right along the the You cannot view this attachment. folder then!

Static

Utsugi Detective Agency
    • Why not put this in 12/8 (or 12/16)? I hear that dotted 8th pulse a lot more strongly than the longer 6/8 pulse, but maybe that's just me.
    • Some dynamics and (de)crescendos would be nice. This doesn't stay at p for the entire thing.
    • m15 LH is missing an Eb between the low Eb and the Gb after it. It's all 16th notes through that measure too, no 8th note. It's also pretty faint but I think it's there.

Latios212

Memories

Quote from: Bloop on October 07, 2021, 01:53:19 PM-m16-17: I think the note distribution here is a bit different than you have it:
    The bottom notes of the R.H. dyads in beats 2 and 4 are the same as the notes you had in the L.H., and I hear a C as well on beat 2 of m17 that made me realize how this two bar accompaniment worked.
    Actually, if you compare m15-19 to m6-9 now, you might think that m6-9 should be notated like this:
    Ah yeah I totally agree with your suggestions here! What I wrote previously was partially based on proximity to what was closer to the upper or lower register but this definitely makes more sense to look at, and is still sensible to play.

Quote from: Bloop on October 07, 2021, 01:53:19 PMThe A and G on beats 2 and 4 of m7 are a bit softer than the other notes, which made me believe that they're the accompaniment and not the melody. Maybe you really hear the melody differently though, which is fine too, but it's worth thinking about at least!
    This is actually demonstrable because much of the melody of this piece is reused elsewhere in the soundtrack! :P Most notably, the original original version of this piece is here and it's pretty clear that those melody notes are held at 0:11. (I will probably keep m. 5 as is just for ease of playing, though.)

I got the other things too, thanks! Solo piano pieces definitely have their own pitfalls...

Utsugi Detective Agency

Quote from: Static on October 17, 2021, 06:42:53 PMWhy not put this in 12/8 (or 12/16)? I hear that dotted 8th pulse a lot more strongly than the longer 6/8 pulse, but maybe that's just me.
    I... yeah wasn't initially feeling it that way but it makes sense especially given the original version is much more explicit about it. I've heavily edited the sheet into 12/8 - it retains the same form but a bunch of small little things needed editing.

Quote from: Static on October 17, 2021, 06:42:53 PMm15 LH is missing an Eb between the low Eb and the Gb after it. It's all 16th notes through that measure too, no 8th note. It's also pretty faint but I think it's there.
    dang I'm not sure why I didn't pick up on that before but I'm really glad you said that because I wanted it to be there anyway lol

Files updated, thanks!

Spoiler
    [close]
    turtle

Static

Utsugi Detective Agency
    Looks great, accepted
    (sorry for editing your post)

Bloop

You cannot view this attachment.-ing Memories too! Keeping m5 as is is alright too. I figured beats 2 and 2.5 would be part of the L.H. pattern too, but it was a bit more ambiguous, as it's very much in the range of the melody. Nice work!

Libera

I can't see anything wrong with Old School Building, so I'll accept.

Libera

Memories

The notes look good in this.  The only thing I noticed is that I seem to be hearing the melody in 7-8/16-17 how you (presumably?) originally had it.  I know there's the original to support writing it this way, but I'm not sure it's really conclusive proof since it wouldn't be that weird to modify the melody a little by including these extra notes while retaining the overall form; it's a pretty standard 'variation' technique.

But if you prefer it how it is now, I don't really mind.  It's pretty up to interpretation anyway.

Latios212

Thanks for checking!

Yep, just purely based on the sound of it, it could probably go either way. I do have to say after re-listening, this piece does seem to strike the melody notes that are currently there a bit more prominently than the ones written in the left hand. In any case though, either makes sense performance wise too so I'd probably prefer to leave it as is.

Spoiler
    [close]
    turtle

Libera