[DELETED] [3DS] Bravely Default - "Serpent Devouring the Horizon" by Maelstrom & Latios212

Started by Zeta, December 30, 2021, 03:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Bravely Default
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Serpent Devouring the Horizon
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arrangers: Maelstrom & Latios212

Latios212

It's back, 7 years later...

Note: I didn't include the coda present in the video which I understand is only part of the OST and not in game.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Feedback from Zeila from my arrangement thread:

Quote from: Zeila on December 26, 2021, 04:29:59 PM
this is a mood haha
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
  • but really, m125/126 just seems like the same pattern from before except it only consists of the first 3 beats. I think this is closer:
    I don't think it's worth switching to 3/4 for two measures and then 2/4 because it's a small syncopated section
  • m126 pt 2 also beat 4 sounds like it's sustained longer than beat 3, so either no staccato or a tenuto staccato would fit better imo
I'm not 100% sure about this rhythm, but that makes a lot more sense on paper haha. I've updated that

Quote from: Zeila on December 26, 2021, 04:29:59 PMm171/172 don't know if you already considered and decided to omit it, but you could add the low echoed melody part on beats 3-4
It seems pretty subtle to me and I just wanted to focus on the melody here

Quote from: Zeila on December 26, 2021, 04:29:59 PM
  • m177-181 I took a picture and informally wrote what was changed:
    • m177 is missing an F# in between the G/E and it just sounds like a straight sixteenth-note scale instead of some freeform rhythm like the later parts (for the most part anyways... I think there are a few 32nd notes in there but they don't add much and are mostly only noticeable when slowed down a lot)
    • m178 I think there is a missing G in between the F# and A, and I think this should also start a little earlier to incorporate the B and C# from the following measure because it gets really crowded. If you write the first A# as a half note, that would make the run come in too early but it would look cleaner
    • m179 I think this is just a continuous scale so each note should be a letter apart (i.e. instead of the bigger gaps like the C# to the F# as the current 2nd/3rd notes, it sounds like there's a D and E in between). I also think that the peak note is a D instead of a C#, or you could put mordents on the C#'s instead since that part is really fast. If that is too hard then it's fine if that's omitted though
    • m180 similarly I think there are some missing notes here too, although each note is not completely neighboring the other. And then I think the highest note should be an A# instead of a G
    • m181 maybe you could add a B grace note to the C#
- 177: Ah yes that simplifies things nicely :P
- 178: Starting the run on beat 3 seems a bit early but there's 7 notes so... I'll just put a 16th rest on beat 3 and start the run after that
- 179: Filling in the gaps sounds good but I still think I hear the top note as the C#.
- 180: I'm not sure about these extra notes, I've added in one of them but I feel like I pretty prominently hear the notes I wrote and not much else, and also feel like there aren't that many extra notes since speed-wise it's pretty close to a straight 16th rhythm. I also still think I hear the top note as the G
- 181: Yep!

I've made edits to the files! The runs in 179-180 are modified but look different from the image above given me comments above. Thanks for the feedback, this section is tricky :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Latios212

Actually... I will put this in next round. One more thing I'd like to submit first :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle