Series: Final Fantasy
Game: Final Fantasy VI
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Omen
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Day E

Whoppybones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJey6UCfhuY

For future reference, it's very helpful to reply to the submission post with a link to the original song.
Two things I noticed:
1. I don't think you're allowed to have 3 staffs like you do from measures 49 onwards. We do try to keep these sheets playable with 2 hands on 1 piano (unless it's specified to be otherwise). This would be a location where you would need to either drop a voice or blend it in with the other voices so it's on 2 staffs.
2. The midi's dynamics didn't work right. Midi definitely shouldn't be your focus when designing these sheets, but I don't know what would cause the dynamics discrepancies.

To those more familiar than me with arranging, any thoughts on these 2?

Latios212

I'm not really an expert on dynamics in midi export, but regarding 1 above: three staves is allowed, but only when the intended distribution of parts between hands is clear and conducive to playing. Here, the distribution of parts between the three staves separates the voices but without any clarity of how to play with two hands.
- For m. 49-65, I would highly recommend simplifying what you have in a way that is easier to play with two hands, or at least notate which hand is supposed to play which part.
- For m. 66+, this doesn't need to be three staves - you should be simply able to combine the top two for most of it.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Day E

Quote from: Latios212 on January 15, 2022, 11:00:58 AMI'm not really an expert on dynamics in midi export, but regarding 1 above: three staves is allowed, but only when the intended distribution of parts between hands is clear and conducive to playing. Here, the distribution of parts between the three staves separates the voices but without any clarity of how to play with two hands.
- For m. 49-65, I would highly recommend simplifying what you have in a way that is easier to play with two hands, or at least notate which hand is supposed to play which part.
- For m. 66+, this doesn't need to be three staves - you should be simply able to combine the top two for most of it.
Thank you so much for the input! is there anything else that the sheet needs changed? I've got someone helping me make the .mus since I have a Mac without Windows installed, and I don't want to bother him too much. This way, there's anything else I've missed. he can correct it all at once.

Day E

Quote from: Whoppybones on January 15, 2022, 10:32:35 AMFor future reference, it's very helpful to reply to the submission post with a link to the original song.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll do this in the future.

Latios212

Quote from: Day E on January 16, 2022, 09:07:37 AMThank you so much for the input! is there anything else that the sheet needs changed? I've got someone helping me make the .mus since I have a Mac without Windows installed, and I don't want to bother him too much. This way, there's anything else I've missed. he can correct it all at once.
No worries and sorry for the delay! For now you can ask questions via posting a PDF - since most of this arrangement has 3 staves right now and much of the review would be better done after you get that sorted out onto two.

Some things about the beginning though:
- Are m. 4-6 supposed to be tremolos like m. 1-3?
- You don't need the tenutos if you're already doing tremolos.
- Think about how you're going to execute those tremolos in m. 1.3 Both the left hand and right hand overlap on the same E, so playing both would be awkward.
- Think about how you're going to execute the tremolos in m. 7-8. Alternating these two fifths in the right hand is very awkward to do quickly. A couple of alternatives would be to alternate the lower two notes with the upper two notes, or notate having the left hand help out with the tremolos.
- Accents should be above the chords in m. 9

Skimming ahead this looks like a solid transcription - it just needs to be a little better thought out for solo piano. I can review further, but I'd like to see you work on that a bit before I get into details :) let me know if you have any questions!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Day E

The contents are now updated! (Thanks Kricketune:))
The sheet is by no means easy but I've tested everything and with practice, you can make something of it. The staves at the end are now condensed to 2 and I've reviewed the "Terra" section to ensure playability.

With that, I'd love to answer your previous questions so we're on the same page.

Quote- Are m. 4-6 supposed to be tremolos like m. 1-3?
Yep! They're marked with simile to not clutter up the sheet so much

QuoteYou don't need the tenutos if you're already doing tremolos.
The tenutos are actually there to communicate that the first strike of the tremolo needs to be specially voiced

QuoteThink about how you're going to execute those tremolos in m. 1.3 Both the left hand and right hand overlap on the same E, so playing both would be awkward.
This is a good concern. I ended up putting parentheses around one of them just to give the performer the choice since it's quite subjective/up to preference.

QuoteThink about how you're going to execute the tremolos in m. 7-8. Alternating these two fifths in the right hand is very awkward to do quickly. A couple of alternatives would be to alternate the lower two notes with the upper two notes, or notate having the left hand help out with the tremolos.
I did originally intend for the LH to help, so lowering the stem should clarify it better

QuoteAccents should be above the chords in m. 9
Fixed!

Whoppybones

I have 2 very brief notes here as touching the beginning section:
 - m3 has the same problem as m2 where both hands are playing the same E. You could do parentheses around one, but in this case I would recommend just deleting it from the RH and making the LH play it.
 - m4-6 I wouldn't worry too much about the sheet looking cluttered with those tremolos. They don't tend to get in the way, and I think it's a little unclear at first glance if you're supposed to simile the Sfz or the tremolos or both. I would suggest just notating the tremolos for clarity's sake.

This sheet is certainly coming along! :D

Latios212

Hey Day E, once again sorry for the wait! I've had a lot of things to do lately...

Your responses to my comments above look good, although I do agree with the couple of points Whoppy commented above. Are you still around to work on the sheet? I'd be happy to continue checking the sheet and possibly make some Finale-specific edits to help soon if you are.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

I'm going to archive this for inactivity.  Feel free to resubmit when you have the time available to work on it!