[NDS] Pokémon Black Version & Pokémon White Version - "Anville Town" by Olimar12345

Started by Zeta, January 07, 2022, 03:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Black Version & Pokémon White Version
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Anville Town
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Olimar12345

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Latios212

This is great! I've played it a bunch of times and it's a joy to play - can see why you chose it as your favorite arrangement of last year :)

A couple of comments about how the left hand accompaniment feels:
- There are a couple of times when the left hand feels slightly heavy compared to what came before it. In m. 5 and 13, perhaps it could do without the C on beat 2 since that will be rearticulated on beat 2.5 anyway? The seventh chords on beats 3-4 of m. 20 also seem a bit heavy, but I'm not sure if there's a lighter alternative given the position of the bass and chord.
- Curious why the left hand in beat 1 of m. 10-11 is up an octave? I think it'd sound more natural with the low bass note as in m. 2-3.

Smaller details:
- m. 14 has some extra space at the beginning
- m. 16 beat 4 is missing a G grace note before it
- In measure 17 the top voice keeps ascending on beat 4 as well - do you want to write in an F on top of that chord?
- In m. 18 in the original, the bass doesn't descend to Fb/En until beat 4.5 (it plays F on beat 4)
- The natural on the RH F in m. 19 doesn't seem necessary coming after the system break
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Quote from: Latios212 on January 13, 2022, 08:22:10 PMThis is great! I've played it a bunch of times and it's a joy to play - can see why you chose it as your favorite arrangement of last year :)
Thank you. :>
Quote from: Latios212 on January 13, 2022, 08:22:10 PM- There are a couple of times when the left hand feels slightly heavy compared to what came before it. In m. 5 and 13, perhaps it could do without the C on beat 2 since that will be rearticulated on beat 2.5 anyway? The seventh chords on beats 3-4 of m. 20 also seem a bit heavy, but I'm not sure if there's a lighter alternative given the position of the bass
They sound heavy and a little muddy because the chord-defining 3rds are written below the third-space E (as I mentioned a while back in my presentation). Typically they don't sound as great in that register, but it was a sacrifice I made to make it easier to play, rather than jumping too often.
Quote from: Latios212 on January 13, 2022, 08:22:10 PM- Curious why the left hand in beat 1 of m. 10-11 is up an octave? I think it'd sound more natural with the low bass note as in m. 2-3.
I chose the fourth-line F in measure 10 to keep the voice leading smooth from the bar before it, and the G to give it some extra continuity. It also gives it a nice little variety from the first time through the A section.
Quote from: Latios212 on January 13, 2022, 08:22:10 PM- m. 14 has some extra space at the beginning
- m. 16 beat 4 is missing a G grace note before it
These were oversights and I can add those rq.
Quote from: Latios212 on January 13, 2022, 08:22:10 PM- In measure 17 the top voice keeps ascending on beat 4 as well - do you want to write in an F on top of that chord?
I omitted it for two reasons: the RH is playing/sustaining that F already, and I was keeping them all consistent triads until the bridge so that the seventh chord had more power behind it.
Quote from: Latios212 on January 13, 2022, 08:22:10 PM- In m. 18 in the original, the bass doesn't descend to Fb/En until beat 4.5 (it plays F on beat 4)
Yes, I intentionally simplified this as well. I simplified a lot, actually lol.
Quote from: Latios212 on January 13, 2022, 08:22:10 PM- The natural on the RH F in m. 19 doesn't seem necessary coming after the system break
Yeah, I suppose it isn't super pressing. I added it just because there were F#s and Fbs in the previous bar and wanted less errors for sightreading.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

Latios212

Alrighty, I played through the sheet again with your comments in mind and everything sounds good! I'll approve :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Oops, I was looking at the wrong disc(s). I'll edit that asap.

Edit: files replaced.

Bloop

Looking nice! Just a few comments, which are mostly harmony-suggestions:
-m1: I hear an F on beat 1 in the harmony, you could include that in either the R.H. in its original octave, or in the L.H. so it resolves to the En on beat 3. On beat 3 I hear a Bb instead of a G#, and on beat 4 I hear the bass go Db-Bb instead of C-G.
-m2: I hear the chord on beat 2 as a F6/9 chord, maybe you could change the F to a G so you at least have the 9?
-m3: Here I hear Gm7 (or Gm9) on beat 2, so maybe you could change the G to an F. Some of the other Gm's sound like they are Gm9's too, but I can't hear the F as distinctly as this bar.
-m4: Also a F6/9, so you could change the E on beat 2 to D or the whole beat to C-D-G (same in m12).
-m6-7 and 14-15: I don't distinctly hear the grace notes before beat 1 of these measures (just a bit in m14),
-m18: Even though the F# is already in the bar, maybe you could rewrite the F# just before beat 4 (beat 3 and 5/6th I guess) as a Gb, because it seems to be functioning as a descending line to F/the ninth in a spicy Fb(9)b5. You could even add this Gb to the L.H. on beat 4, so it also resolves neatly to the Gn together with the Ab.
-m21: I again hear a distinct Bb in the chords in beat 3.5 (or technically 3.666) and 4, but this time together with the G# you already have. I also hear a Db on top on beat 3.5/3.666 instead of C.

Olimar12345

Hi Bloop! Thank you for taking the time to look through my arrangement. ^^ I'll try to address everything you mentioned, but the theme to my replies is going to sound the same. I created the accompaniment in a way so that it would not be demanding on the player while retaining the style of the piece more authentically. I have intentionally not included every voice in it's original form, and didn't meant to make you search out all of these instances ^^; If it seems like I'm shoving off your suggestions, just know that is not my intent. ^^;

Quote from: Bloop on January 23, 2022, 05:19:22 AM-m1: I hear an F on beat 1 in the harmony, you could include that in either the R.H. in its original octave, or in the L.H. so it resolves to the En on beat 3. On beat 3 I hear a Bb instead of a G#, and on beat 4 I hear the bass go Db-Bb instead of C-G.
Quote from: Bloop on January 23, 2022, 05:19:22 AM-m21: I again hear a distinct Bb in the chords in beat 3.5 (or technically 3.666) and 4, but this time together with the G# you already have. I also hear a Db on top on beat 3.5/3.666 instead of C.

I don't quite hear an F on the first beat... and I've intentionally kept the RH planning 2-note chords for consistency and playability. I was also intentionally trying to keep the LH within an octave's reach within that measure, so I'd prefer to opt not to include these.

Quote from: Bloop on January 23, 2022, 05:19:22 AM-m2: I hear the chord on beat 2 as a F6/9 chord, maybe you could change the F to a G so you at least have the 9?
-m3: Here I hear Gm7 (or Gm9) on beat 2, so maybe you could change the G to an F. Some of the other Gm's sound like they are Gm9's too, but I can't hear the F as distinctly as this bar.
-m4: Also a F6/9, so you could change the E on beat 2 to D or the whole beat to C-D-G (same in m12).

I have intentionally left out some of these chord extensions for playability purposes, and opted to chose chord-defining notes like the root, 3rd, and 7ths.

Quote from: Bloop on January 23, 2022, 05:19:22 AM-m6-7 and 14-15: I don't distinctly hear the grace notes before beat 1 of these measures (just a bit in m14),

Now that you mention it, I don't really hear those either. Huh. I'll take them out.

Quote from: Bloop on January 23, 2022, 05:19:22 AM-m18: Even though the F# is already in the bar, maybe you could rewrite the F# just before beat 4 (beat 3 and 5/6th I guess) as a Gb, because it seems to be functioning as a descending line to F/the ninth in a spicy Fb(9)b5.

I could change this to a Gb for you. I left it as an F# because the upper extensions spelled it as an augmented triad in the RH and I thought that would be easier to read (horizontally). A Gb would be more pleasing to read vertically, though.

Quote from: Bloop on January 23, 2022, 05:19:22 AMYou could even add this Gb to the L.H. on beat 4, so it also resolves neatly to the Gn together with the Ab.

I'm going to pass on this one though since I'd rather keep the pitches that are present rather than double up on voices (when I don't have to).

The context in which this arrangement was created is also important, I feel. This is a simple, one-page solo from an obscure town in probably the least-popular generation of Pokémon (I mean that respectfully, Poke-fans!). Those looking for this are more likely to not be professional pianists with many years of experience, but rather the niche gamer/fan. I want it to be accessible to them. I have carefully chosen which pitches to include and which to omit so that it is recognizable, approachable, and more importantly, fun to play. If you haven't already, take it to a piano :)

(files have been updated)

Bloop

Yeah I figured there was a lot of simplification going on, the ones I picked out were ones I felt were still pretty playable. At least I now know they weren't oversights ^^ I don't feel that strongly about most of them, as they're mostly just different extensions of the same chord, so I'll accept!
You cannot view this attachment.

Zeta