[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - "Spirit Temple" (Replacement) by Bloop

Started by Zeta, December 31, 2021, 03:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Spirit Temple
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bloop

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bloop

we needed this

I originally had the lengths of the L.H. notes in the intro match the original, but I felt it was more pianistic to just keep the pedal throughout the bar.

Latios212

Quote from: Bloop on December 31, 2021, 03:12:42 AMwe needed this
yasssss

Quote from: Bloop on December 31, 2021, 03:12:42 AMI originally had the lengths of the L.H. notes in the intro match the original, but I felt it was more pianistic to just keep the pedal throughout the bar.
Yep that makes sense!

Pitches:
- In m. 12 it sounds like there's another brief G before the grace note A
- The last grace note in m. 20 and 22 is written as a 16th instead of an eighth
- A grace notes in m. 23 should be Ab. I think m. 30 as well. 37 and 46 too?

Visuals:
- I'd suggest lowering the lower layer rests in the last measure a bit.
- The m. 35-38 system is a bit crushed, not sure if there might be an opportunity to move some measures around or otherwise respace the notes to give them a little more breathing room?

This looks solid overall, I'll have a go at seeing if the rhythms more or less check out soon :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Quote from: Latios212 on January 11, 2022, 05:54:12 PM- A grace notes in m. 23 should be Ab. I think m. 30 as well. 37 and 46 too?
The last A grace note in m23 actually sounds like it's a G instead of an Ab. I still hear A's in m30 and 46, but I fixed the others in m23 and 37!

Fixed all other stuff too, as well as some other nitpicky rest-height-moving and a slightly rewritten rhythm in the last bar (m46 beat 1.5: tied 8ths instead of a quarter note in the second layer, for easier readability.)

Latios212

Okey doke! A quick skim and everything checks out musically. Just one thing - your PDF margins seem off (like exported in A4 size from a letter size file).

Approved :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Libera

Yes please let's get rid of the on-site sheet for this.  Some things I found:

-The G grace in 35 sounds like an Ab to me.
-The triplet in 43 sounds like it starts on a Bb rather than an A.
-Slur in bar 27 is colliding with the tail of the Ab.
-I feel like the contour of the cross-staved pair of eighths in bar 46 should be flat, rather than angled downwards.
-Pedal markings don't have to be horizontally aligned at the beginning, which means you don't have to place the releases floating far below the staff.  Moving them up I think would help with readability.

The only other thing that I would say is that I think that this sheet is suffering with slur overload.  At some point I think these stop being genuinely helpful and are just cluttering the page up.  Particularly sections like 35-38 where the combination of multiple slurs and ties with unnatural rhythms really begins to harm the readability of what is going on here.  I think you could just take all of these pairs of intersecting slurs and just merge them together and I don't think you'd lose very much, but it would make the section a lot cleaner.  This problem isn't unique to this section, but just an example of the issues I'm talking about.

Bloop

Quote from: Libera on January 30, 2022, 10:44:07 AM-Pedal markings don't have to be horizontally aligned at the beginning, which means you don't have to place the releases floating far below the staff.  Moving them up I think would help with readability.
I actually read that individual pedal-and-release signs should always horizontally align, but consecutive pairs of pedal-and-release signs don't have to. It looks weird to me to have the release sign on a different height than the pedal sign, and they're not easy to miss or ambiguous on where they fall in the bar, so I'd rather have them as is.

Aside from that, fixed everything else and edited the slurs! The slurs I had originally were probably more suited for wind player breathing instructions than for piano phrasing instructions :p

Libera

Quote from: Bloop on January 30, 2022, 11:48:14 AMI actually read that individual pedal-and-release signs should always horizontally align, but consecutive pairs of pedal-and-release signs don't have to. It looks weird to me to have the release sign on a different height than the pedal sign, and they're not easy to miss or ambiguous on where they fall in the bar, so I'd rather have them as is.

Huh, I didn't know.  I've definitely done that before it my sheets because I think it makes the spacings neater.  I feel like I've seen them displaced vertically in published music before, but you can leave them as is here if that's your preference.

I guess I'll accept then.  Nice job on tidying up the slurs.  I think it still gets the points across without encroaching on the page space too much.

Zeta