[ARCADE] Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future - "Alex & Ken Stage ~ Jazzy NYC '99" b

Started by Zeta, February 27, 2022, 08:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future
Console: Arcade
Title: Alex & Ken Stage ~ Jazzy NYC '99
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Static

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

Soundtrack version:

In-game loops:
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3

The repeats are meant to show the in-game loops, where a different section plays for each round of the fight. The pickups (beat 5 of the 5/4 bars) of the 2nd and 3rd rounds are played continuously in-game, as in the soundtrack version. Title and composer info from here.

Bloop

jazzy indeed
Don't have too much to say, just a few details:
-m8: It looks a bit weird to me to see the start of the melody on beat 4.5 as a disconnected 8th note from the chord on beat 4: maybe you could connect them and start the slur from m9 beat 1 here on beat 4.5 instead?
-m15 and similar: Anytime this figure on beat 3 in the R.H. appears, you have the first note unaccentuated, though all notes sound accentuated the same. Was this intentional because of the slur?
-m30: I hear an E as the top note here
-m42, 46 and 47: I'd suggest removed the slur starting on beat 2.5 in these bars, as these notes can't really be played legato anyway, and the slurs could maybe be misread as a tie instead.
-m46: I don't think the A on beat 4.75 in the L.H. is there in the original; you don't have it in m47 either.
-m48: I believe this should just be a 4/4 bar (so without the quarter rest), it just goes on in 4/4 at this part.

Static

Quote from: Bloop on March 29, 2022, 06:31:12 AM-m30: I hear an E as the top note here
It think it is, but it's in the sax/wind voice and not the piano voice. The piano chord there is the same as m47/77.

Quote from: Bloop on March 29, 2022, 06:31:12 AM-m48: I believe this should just be a 4/4 bar (so without the quarter rest), it just goes on in 4/4 at this part.
Did you mean m68? If so, then fixed

Everything else has been fixed too, thanks for checking

Bloop

Nice! Just a few slurry details: the slur in m9 touches the chord symbol, and I just noticed that in m10, 12, 20, 22, 60 and 62, there's another case of a slur over two same notes like I commented on in 42/46/47 (though I guess it won't be confused as a tie in these bars :p)

Bloop

Latios212

Quote from: Static on February 27, 2022, 08:21:36 PMThe pickups (beat 5 of the 5/4 bars) of the 2nd and 3rd rounds are played continuously in-game, as in the soundtrack version. Title and composer info from here.
Not sure if I understood right, but would it make more sense to write the pickups as their own small bars? That way they can be seen as an interjection and not an addition to the previous 4/4 phrase... which may also remove the need for a 1st/2nd ending? If you do I suppose the section labels would go over wherever the pickup starts just like in these audio files you linked.

Other than that, this seems solid, I can't really find anything off
- The accents above the Am9 chords in m. 13/23/63 could be lowered slightly, they're a bit high and close to the chord symbol.
- Maybe space out the LH/RH staves a bit in the m. 69 system so the forte isn't so crushed?
- The second-from-the-top ties going into m. 70/74 need a bit of adjusting.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

All that stuff should be fixed, I think the small pickup bars work a lot better.

For the forte, I kept the spacing the same but moved it to the side, like in other spots in the piece. I think I'd rather have a uniform system width, but I can change if you think that looks better.

Latios212

Cool. Agreed, the small pickup bars look nice and neatly divide the sections now.

No further suggestions. I'll accept :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta