Series: Mario Party
Game: Mario Party
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Saving Courage
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: cacabish

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

cacabish

A couple notes from me:
  • First, I'm pretty certain the song is in 3/4 (primarily due to the tempo), but it could also be seen as flipping back-and-forth between 3/4 and 6/8 groupings, or just be in 6/8 with a nonintegral tempo. Let me know what you think it should be.
  • Second, I'm not 100% confident on the key signature either. I put A major and there's clearly a bit of A major/A minor flipping happening throughout, but it's possible there is a strict key change to A minor at some point in the piece (possibly for the last 8 measures or the last 16 measures), or that the whole piece can be looked as in A minor (with the A major being incidental). But given that the piece is so short, I'm not so sure it matters that much. Let me know your thoughts!

XiaoMigros

• I think the time signature works as you have it, while there is a fair amount of motion on the downbeats it feels to me like it's predominantly in 3/4
  • As for the key signature, there is a distinct change to.. something at m. 13 (A melodic minor I think, then harmonic from m. 21). I would be inclined towards a key change here, though I'm not 100% confident on this.
  • In m. 2 RH, I think the accompanying layer is playing F# on b3 and E ond b3.5, rather than E and D respectively.
  • In m. 13 and similar, in b3.5 RH I hear an Fn being played below the A, not an En.
  • The staccato markings in the LH deviate somewhat from the original, I'm not sure whether it's better to leave them consistent like you have it now or to make some notes/sections not staccato.
  • You could also include the lower harmony of the melody in ms. 5-12
  • Lastly, while I don't think that how you've written it is "wrong", I think it would be easier to read the staccato 4th notes on b2.5 if they were all written as 8th notes.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

You can give the tempo in 1 (dotted half = 73) if you want. I think it's easier felt that way, like a waltz basically.
As for the key signature, keeping it A major all the way through I think is fine. The change in m13 is to the E Byzantine/double harmonic scale, which functions as the dominant of A major, just held out for quite a while.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 06, 2022, 10:46:57 AMThe staccato markings in the LH deviate somewhat from the original, I'm not sure whether it's better to leave them consistent like you have it now or to make some notes/sections not staccato.
I think maybe beat 1 of m6/8/10/12 could be tenuto, but the mirrored articulations in the RH/LH in m13-20 make it easier to play. Maybe m22/24/26/28 could also be tenuto (or just with no articulation).

Anyway, that's about all I have to say here. Looks pretty good.

LeviR.star

I wanna thank Mario Party Superstars for introducing me to this song. Thank you for replacing its sheet, Cacabish!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

cacabish

Wow! Four different people in here?! :o
Anyway, sorry for the late response; my senior project has had some major deadlines lately, so it's crunch time! :-\

Quote from: LeviR.star on April 11, 2022, 05:40:34 PMI wanna thank Mario Party Superstars for introducing me to this song. Thank you for replacing its sheet, Cacabish!
You're welcome! :D The remixed version in Superstars is good, but the OG is good too.

Quote from: Latios212 on April 06, 2022, 04:15:25 PMYeah I also definitely agree with leaving this in 3/4 :)
Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 06, 2022, 10:46:57 AMI think the time signature works as you have it, while there is a fair amount of motion on the downbeats it feels to me like it's predominantly in 3/4
Sweet, 3/4 it is then!

Quote from: Static on April 11, 2022, 12:49:37 PMYou can give the tempo in 1 (dotted half = 73) if you want. I think it's easier felt that way, like a waltz basically.
I can definitely see it as a fast waltz, so conducting in one would make logical sense. So, leave it as 3/4 and just change the tempo marking to dotted half = 73? That it?

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 06, 2022, 10:46:57 AMIn m. 2 RH, I think the accompanying layer is playing F# on b3 and E ond b3.5, rather than E and D respectively.
Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 06, 2022, 10:46:57 AMIn m. 13 and similar, in b3.5 RH I hear an Fn being played below the A, not an En.
Taking another listen, methinks you are correct on both of these. Changed!

Quote from: Static on April 11, 2022, 12:49:37 PMAs for the key signature, keeping it A major all the way through I think is fine. The change in m13 is to the E Byzantine/double harmonic scale, which functions as the dominant of A major, just held out for quite a while.
Fair enough. However, if you think something would work better, do let me know!

Quote from: Static on April 11, 2022, 12:49:37 PMI think maybe beat 1 of m6/8/10/12 could be tenuto, but the mirrored articulations in the RH/LH in m13-20 make it easier to play. Maybe m22/24/26/28 could also be tenuto (or just with no articulation).
I haven't made any adjustments yet as I'd like to clarify first: I take it you are referring to the LH for "beat 1 of m6/8/10/12" and the LH for beat 1 of "m22/24/26/28"? Or are you referring to other staccatos in the measures or other hands as well?

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 06, 2022, 10:46:57 AMYou could also include the lower harmony of the melody in ms. 5-12
So, I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to as the "lower harmony", and even then, I struggle to pick up anything extra in that region (which isn't anything surprising for me). There are some parts where there seems to be a very subtle harmony, but it's so subtle, I probably wouldn't want it included as it would force it to be played notably, instead of subtly (and it may just be me hearing things weirdly). Do you have particular areas you think it would be best or most pronounced? I'm happy to dig more.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 06, 2022, 10:46:57 AMLastly, while I don't think that how you've written it is "wrong", I think it would be easier to read the staccato 4th notes on b2.5 if they were all written as 8th notes.
Sounds good! I have no real stake in this, so if you feel it's better that way, that's good enough for me! :D

Alright, I think that's everything! Thanks Xiao, Static, and Latios for all your feedback! I greatly appreciate it. Files have been updated, so do let me know of other pieces of feedback you have and I'll (hopefully) address them more speedily this next time. :)

XiaoMigros

Quote from: cacabish on April 13, 2022, 04:24:06 PMSo, leave it as 3/4 and just change the tempo marking to dotted half = 73? That it?
Yep! You got it :)

Quote from: cacabish on April 13, 2022, 04:24:06 PMSo, I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to as the "lower harmony", [...] I probably wouldn't want it included as it would force it to be played notably, instead of subtly.
I think I remember hearing a series of notes below the melody, similar to in the other measures where you have written the harmony. But as you said, it is noticably less distinct than in the other sections so I think leaving it out would work too.

cacabish

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 14, 2022, 12:16:21 AMYep! You got it :)
Sweet! I've gone ahead and done this and updated the files accordingly. :D

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 14, 2022, 12:16:21 AMI think I remember hearing a series of notes below the melody, similar to in the other measures where you have written the harmony. But as you said, it is noticably less distinct than in the other sections so I think leaving it out would work too.
Then I guess I'll leave them out for now. If you do have another listen and think there's a bit (or bits) that could richly benefit from them, do let me know! :)

Static

Quote from: cacabish on April 14, 2022, 06:56:39 PMThen I guess I'll leave them out for now. If you do have another listen and think there's a bit (or bits) that could richly benefit from them, do let me know! :)
I think it's actually better to leave those out since the lower RH harmonies would get in the way of the upper LH ones. It also gives m5-12 a lighter feel that leads nicely into m13.

I approve

Bloop

Yeah this is looking very nice! The only thing I can suggest is to maybe remove the B in m28 R.H. beat 2, as it's a bit awkward to play the B on beat 2.5 afterwards, and the minor 2nd with the Cn could sound a bit jarring.

cacabish

Quote from: Bloop on April 21, 2022, 12:55:57 AMYeah this is looking very nice! The only thing I can suggest is to maybe remove the B in m28 R.H. beat 2, as it's a bit awkward to play the B on beat 2.5 afterwards, and the minor 2nd with the Cn could sound a bit jarring.
Sounds good! I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that as I was unsure if it was better left in for accuracy, or better removed for pretty much the same reasons you outlined. Anyway, I think it sounds just fine removed and so, it has been removed and the files have been updated. :)

Bloop

Awesome, then I'll accept!
You cannot view this attachment.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot