[SNES] Kirby Super Star - "Flying Through Outer Space"

[MUSX]

438th

[MUL] Mega Man 8 - "Astro Man Stage"

[MUSX]

387th

[ARCADE] Radar Scope - "Music from Radar Scope"

[MUSX]

Let's go, Space Travel! This should be fun. Hit me up with any questions.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

cashwarrior1

Hi just here to say what the frick, kirby?

Static

Astro Man Stage
  • I'm not that familiar with the differences between the PS1 and Saturn version, other than Tengu Man Stage of course. Are they basically the same across both platforms? It seems that way to me from a cursory listening, so if that's the case, we'll change that label on site to MUL for ya. Alright, onto the arrangement itself now...
  • m1-5 LH: Might be cool to have the bass on beat 1 here, since there'd be enough time for the LH to jump up to the chords. Even though there wouldn't be a chord on beat 1, the arpeggio in the RH has the same notes so it would still be harmonically complete if that makes sense. Up to you though.
  • m5-13 LH: It looks like you just took the background chord hits and moved them down an octave for this LH part. Rhythmically, it works fine, but it clashes hard with the melody and obscures the harmony. I think you could get away with omitting some of those notes to help everything sort of gel together better and groove harder. This is just one idea I had:

Keeping it to 3 voices max in that mid-low register (as well as avoiding 2nd intervals) helps things stay light. The bottom voice matches the bass (Eb-D-Bb pretty much repeated throughout that section, like in m14-21), and the upper notes stay out of the way of the melody and countermelody - all while still preserving the harmony.
  • Maybe have slurs over the melody starting on m8 beat 4.5, and on m12 beat 2.5

Latios212

Flying Through Outer Space

Wow... this is a really cool piece rhythmically and harmonically. Never paid close attention to it until now :P I assume that the constant alternating 16ths in the right hand were condensed into chords for ease of playing, which I definitely agree with.

The thick chords check out! Just a few small comments:
- Is there a reason the G is missing from the second chord in m. 1-2? I don't hear anything differently in the chords there and everywhere else in this part you've got 4-note chords
- Would suggest courtesy (non-parenthesized) naturals on the E's and B's at the beginning of m. 4 (both LH and RH)
- You have all the 7/8 measures beamed as 3+2+2, so I would recommend splitting the beam between beats 5-6 in the last measure too.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Music from Radar Scope

The only thing I would say is that I think it would make more sense for BGM 3's tempo marking to be in quarter = rather than dotted quarter =, just to make it easier to compare to BGM 2 and BGM 3.  I mean really it should probably be given in eighth =, but maybe that could just be in brackets.  It's not a big deal, but it's also not immediately obvious as to whether BGM 3 is faster or slower than BGM 2.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on May 06, 2022, 07:24:40 PMFlying Through Outer Space
- Is there a reason the G is missing from the second chord in m. 1-2? I don't hear anything differently in the chords there and everywhere else in this part you've got 4-note chords
- Would suggest courtesy (non-parenthesized) naturals on the E's and B's at the beginning of m. 4 (both LH and RH)
- You have all the 7/8 measures beamed as 3+2+2, so I would recommend splitting the beam between beats 5-6 in the last measure too.

- hmm, I don't hear a G in the second chord. Here's what I'm hearing for the first two measures:

You cannot view this attachment.

B-flat major alternating with G minor (its relative key), and A minor alternating with F major. Combining each pair of chords results in a Gmin7 and an Fmaj7, respectively; there's no G in the second chord of those bars.

- you're right, I should add those
- so, four groupings, right? That looks right to me, let me know if I should combine the second and third

Quote from: Libera on May 07, 2022, 03:52:58 AMMusic from Radar Scope

The only thing I would say is that I think it would make more sense for BGM 3's tempo marking to be in quarter = rather than dotted quarter =, just to make it easier to compare to BGM 2 and BGM 3.  I mean really it should probably be given in eighth =, but maybe that could just be in brackets.  It's not a big deal, but it's also not immediately obvious as to whether BGM 3 is faster or slower than BGM 2.

Yeah, I see how that would be misleading. I'm not sure if the brackets are necessary, but it should make more sense to mark BGM 3 with a quarter. Consider it done!

Quote from: Static on May 04, 2022, 07:17:41 PMAstro Man Stage
  • I'm not that familiar with the differences between the PS1 and Saturn version, other than Tengu Man Stage of course. Are they basically the same across both platforms? It seems that way to me from a cursory listening, so if that's the case, we'll change that label on site to MUL for ya.
  • m1-5 LH: Might be cool to have the bass on beat 1 here, since there'd be enough time for the LH to jump up to the chords. Even though there wouldn't be a chord on beat 1, the arpeggio in the RH has the same notes so it would still be harmonically complete if that makes sense. Up to you though.
  • m5-13 LH: It looks like you just took the background chord hits and moved them down an octave for this LH part. Rhythmically, it works fine, but it clashes hard with the melody and obscures the harmony. I think you could get away with omitting some of those notes to help everything sort of gel together better and groove harder. This is just one idea I had:

Keeping it to 3 voices max in that mid-low register (as well as avoiding 2nd intervals) helps things stay light. The bottom voice matches the bass (Eb-D-Bb pretty much repeated throughout that section, like in m14-21), and the upper notes stay out of the way of the melody and countermelody - all while still preserving the harmony.
  • Maybe have slurs over the melody starting on m8 beat 4.5, and on m12 beat 2.5

- I found an upload of the Saturn version on YouTube, but the differences are so miniscule that they're hardly noticeable. Aside from Tengu Man Stage, it also has exclusive themes for the Wood Man and Cut Man cameos, but I don't think this calls for a separate designation on the site
- don't get me wrong, the bass is good to have, but I don't think it's important enough to override those chords. At least, not there, anyway
- I've made changes to match those two bars, but could you help me with m. 8 - 13? Maybe over Discord?
- sure thing, I'll add those in

Okay, I've made changes to all three sheets! Files should be syncing their updates through Dropbox now.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

Astro Man Stage
Discussed that LH pattern with Levi, this sheet is good to go now. I approve

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on May 15, 2022, 07:20:23 PM- hmm, I don't hear a G in the second chord. Here's what I'm hearing for the first two measures:

You cannot view this attachment.

B-flat major alternating with G minor (its relative key), and A minor alternating with F major. Combining each pair of chords results in a Gmin7 and an Fmaj7, respectively; there's no G in the second chord of those bars.

Chatted real quick and clarified that I meant the chord on beat 2, not the second half of the measure. It's been updated so I'll approve~

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Just a couple small things:
- maybe write the Ebm chords in m13-20 as D#m instead? m12 seems to lead in better that way, but I'll leave it up to you.m
- m20 RH beat 6 is missing an Ab

LeviR.star

Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 01:08:44 PMFlying Through Outer Space
Just a couple small things:
- maybe write the Ebm chords in m13-20 as D#m instead? m12 seems to lead in better that way, but I'll leave it up to you.m
- m20 RH beat 6 is missing an Ab

- this makes sense, I'll respell them (what's the Finale shortcut for this?)
- I didn't re-check it, but I trust you. Fixed

Static

Quote from: LeviR.star on May 16, 2022, 07:50:10 PM- this makes sense, I'll respell them (what's the Finale shortcut for this?)
Not sure if there's a faster way, but I just highlight the chord(s), right click, transpose up/down chromatically a diminished second.

Glad you figured out what I meant by "beat 6" lol, looks good. I can't read 9/8 apparently...

Accepted

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on May 16, 2022, 07:50:10 PM- this makes sense, I'll respell them (what's the Finale shortcut for this?)
Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 07:54:28 PMNot sure if there's a faster way, but I just highlight the chord(s), right click, transpose up/down chromatically a diminished second.
If you want to respell a single note, use the \ key with the notehead highlighted in the Simple Entry Tool. You can also press that shortcut when you have a chord highlighted, but Finale will cycle through the different permutations of possible accidentals instead of immediately respelling the chord in a way that makes sense, which is a bit... weird, so if you're respelling a chord or section it might be easier to do what Static said.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Latios212

Astro Man Stage

I have nothing more to add, everything checks out! Accepted!

Music from Radar Scope

This looks good too!

All sheets done here, moving to the project archive board. Nice work ^^

Spoiler
[close]
turtle