Game: Mario Kart Wii
Console: Wii
Title: No Trophy For You
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Whoppybones

[attachment deleted by admin]

Whoppybones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Qobsj1Pic

Looked for this song on vgmdb and I couldn't find the name, so I went with the name that I found on Youtube.

XiaoMigros

• You should write this track with swing to avoid using excessive triplets.
  • Also, the track does loop in-game so that should be reflected in your sheet (repeat barline, D.C. text, etc.)
  • m7: Write the flute and marimba parts in separate layers.
  • With this sheet it would make sense to have 4 measures per system, totalling 4 systems.
  • Your ottavas are a bit oddly positioned, but I'm not sure how easy it is to change that from within Notepad.
  • m2 and m10: I think the G#s should probably be spelled as Abs, to form an Fm/Ab chord. I'd prioritise showing that rather than the chromatic leading to An in the next measure.
  • I'm not sure how it's been done in the past, but it might make sense to use a & rather than a comma to separate the two composers (purely from an english grammar/syntax pov)
I haven't checked the notes in much detail, but in particular I'm not sure on some of the grace notes you've written. In m12 RH I hear a B being played just above that G.

LeviR.star

Mario Kart 8: "You lost, but it's okay! Try again sometime soon, all right? :)"

Mario Kart Wii: "You lost. Man, were you even trying? Idiot."

Mario Kart 64: "You lost, f*ck you, don't ever touch this game again."
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Whoppybones

Aight. Here's my notes from Xiao's input:
 - Didn't even consider swing before. Makes perfect sense, so that has been changed.
 - Meant to do that. I think I must've changed it in my Musescore file after exporting... That has been fixed.
 - Didn't realize how helpful that would be. Originally I just figured "They've got the same rhythm, they can be the same layer no problem!" That has been adjusted as suggested.
 - I can't take care of the spacing. I sent it out to someone to fix the ottavas, and Notepad broke the spacing once they sent it back. I completely agree, but that's not something I can do on my end. If someone else would fix that for me, that would be lovely.
 - They should be fixed, as mentioned above.
 - I disagree here, especially now that the layers are separated. In this case, the song focuses on the chromatic instead of the chord, as demonstrated by the bassline in this section.
 - That has been done.
 - m12 RH I don't hear a B. I hear a G and an Ab (and possibly an A natural), but that's it. I did, however, adjust the Ab to be a part of the note instead of a grace note, and that sounds right to me.

Also, as a reply for Levi, I quote a YT comment from the song: "I might have lost the cup, but at least the 2nd Grade music class cares about me." ;D

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Whoppybones on April 08, 2022, 09:56:37 PM- I can't take care of the spacing. I sent it out to someone to fix the ottavas, and Notepad broke the spacing once they sent it back. I completely agree, but that's not something I can do on my end. If someone else would fix that for me, that would be lovely.
If you want, I can do that for you.

Quote from: Whoppybones on April 08, 2022, 09:56:37 PM- I disagree here, especially now that the layers are separated. In this case, the song focuses on the chromatic instead of the chord, as demonstrated by the bassline in this section.
I still think showing the Fm chord should be prioritised, but perhaps it's best to let an updater settle the matter.

Quote from: Whoppybones on April 08, 2022, 09:56:37 PM- m12 RH I don't hear a B. I hear a G and an Ab
I think that's what I meant, oops. Sounds good the way you have it now :)

Quote from: Whoppybones on April 08, 2022, 09:56:37 PM- Didn't realize how helpful that would be. Originally I just figured "They've got the same rhythm, they can be the same layer no problem!" That has been adjusted as suggested.
I think both the marimba and the flute play the line ascending from D to G, so I'd include that in both layers.

Here's some other things I found:
  • m2 and m10: The half rests should be split into two 4th rests.
  • m8: I think it would make more sense to change the quindicesima to an ottava, since you have those notes written (without ottava) in m4. Also, in the .mus file I downloaded, the 4th rest is ½ of a staff space to high up.
  • Both of your quindicesimas start before the affected notes on the rests, they should be only over the notes. There might be too little space currently for the line to remain visible, but once the system spacing gets sorted out it shouldn't be an issue.
  • To me this track doesn't sound like it's forte, maybe mf or even mp would be more suitable.

Static

I forgot how beautiful this was
  • I'd add Soyo Oka as a composer, after all this is a remix of the original trophy theme. If you want to be more specific, say Composed by Soyo Oka and Arranged by Asuka Ohta & Ryo Nagamatsu (all in bold), and then Arranged for piano by Whoppybones.
  • m2/10 LH beats 3-4: Even though it looks like it should be G# because of the A in the next bar, it should be Abs here. This is an Fm chord.
  • m4/12 LH beat 1: Top note should be D instead of C.
  • m4 RH beat 2: This should be an octave higher, like in m8. There's enough time for the RH to reach those notes since the tempo is pretty moderate.
  • m7-8 RH: The 2nd-highest voice (D-E-F-F#-G) is also played by the flute, so it should be in the top layer instead of the bottom.
  • m12 RH beat 1: Ab should be An (although out of tune).
  • m15 RH beats 3-4: There are only two marimba voices present here (the top and bottom voices), so you can remove the middle voice (F and D).
  • m16 RH beat 1: The marimba plays here also (G and E under the C) - add this in a lower layer again like in m8.

Static

Discussed this one over Discord for a bit, all the changes were made and m12 RH beat 1 we decided to include both Ab and An (spelled as Bbb). I've got nothing more to say here, so I'll approve

Edit: m2 beat 1 is different on repeats, so that has been changed to indicate that
Also, new source link

Latios212

Everything looks good! Just one thing...

Quote from: Static on June 06, 2022, 11:27:49 AMm12 RH beat 1 we decided to include both Ab and An (spelled as Bbb).
I disagree with this. As Static mentioned, the voice is a bit out of tune here - but listening to the original I feel like this should definitely be written as a ditzy-sounding major second (Gn-An) rather than a chromatic cluster. Having the three adjacent tones feels too dissonant here, especially when you don't any other instances of chromatically adjacent notes in the arrangement.

edit: chatted with Whoppy and Static over Discord and made the change, good to go!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot