News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[MUL] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - "Falbi's House" (Replacement) by Whoppybones

Started by Zeta, August 30, 2022, 03:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Falbi's House
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Whoppybones

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Whoppybones

Title should be "Falbi's House". A rabbit hole of forum posts led to me seeing the current version and immediately want to replace it. A few hours later and here it is!   :)

Latios212

Yay! This one certainly needs a replacement :D

Although... I remember when auditing the sheets on site a while ago, I figured this piece was supposed to be "Cargo Game", given that the sheet on site is written in C major, and the sheet also is referred to as some kind of minigame.

This is coming from someone with very little knowledge of Twilight Princess as a game though the two pieces seem largely identical aside from instrumentation/transposition. Would it be worth transposing and renaming the sheet to match Cargo Game, or is there a valid reason Falbi's House is what we should go for to replace the on-site sheet?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Whoppybones

Alright, so fun fact: I didn't even realize there were two different versions. Technically, I believe you're right that "Cargo Game" is the song in Plumm's mini game. But let's take a quick glance at similarities and differences I notice between the on-site sheet and both songs.
Cargo Game: same title(ish), same key, same tune, missing nuances (especially in the B section)
Falbi's House: different title, different key, same tune, no missing nuances
The octave change at m33 makes no sense if it's coming from "Cargo Game" as that version has both octaves both times. Furthermore, notice the LH in m15-16. If it were from "Cargo Game", it should be a dotted-half C, quarter G, dotted-half C (following the same rhythm as the RH). It isn't. So while I believe you are accurate in saying it SHOULD be "Cargo Game", I think it's actually closer to "Falbi's House". Now that I know there's another one, I plan to arrange it, but this seems more accurate for the replacement. Let me know if you agree! ;D

Bloop

I'm not 100% sure what the original arranger was going for, since there are things to be said for both the Cargo Game and Falbi's House. However, knowing the game, I'm sure "Falbi's House" would be the most recognizable place for this track, since it's the second time you'll hear the theme in the game (the first time being this one), so I'm sure people would rather have that version than the Cargo Game minigame.

Latios212

Okay, Falbi's House it is then! I've updated the info in the NSM Panel - thanks both of you :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Whoppybones

Bloop

-m1: The 8ths on beat 2-2,5 should be legato, not staccato.
-m26: Maybe instead of writing the L.H. dyad on beat 2 as B-D# with the D# parenthesized, you could write it as F#-B instead. It has the same rhythmic and harmonic punch as the original, but without cutting of the D# of the melody or restriking it. Same in m42 and 57.
-From m34 on, you could remove all staccatos from the guitar melody, since the guitar isn't playing staccato.
-m53 and 61: Kinda similarly, the R.H. melody is clashing a lot with the off-beat dyads, which doesn't sound great on piano (it works in the original because there are two different timbres in the same range, instead of the same one). I'd suggest writing these as D#-F# dyads below the melody line (also in m54 and 62 beat two). You could also do above, but I feel like the melody will be putting in more harmonic information than it should in that case.
-The title is missing quotation marks. Also, Mahito Yokota is credited as composer for Twilight Princess sheets too according to vgmdb, but it's not clear what he has or hasn't composed for this game.

Whoppybones

- m1: Good catch. Select all done did me dirty there. ;)
 - m26: I really like that idea. I wasn't too happy with how it was, but didn't have a clue as to how to do it better.
 - m34: You right. Taken care of.
 - m53/61: I thought it sounded super clunky there, but also didn't know how to improve it. Thanks for the suggestion; it has been implemented.
 - Title: Whoops.
 - Composers: I believe that the credits of the game shed some light on this. The composers (timestamp 8:15) are listed in game as I had them listed. However, Mahito Yokota is credited (at timestamp 9:10) as the one who did "Teaser Music Orchestration Music", which I'm pretty sure just means the music for the trailers, therefore I left the composers as previously written.

Thanks for the feedback!

Bloop

Quote from: Whoppybones on September 03, 2022, 01:41:00 PMComposers: I believe that the credits of the game shed some light on this. The composers (timestamp 8:15) are listed in game as I had them listed. However, Mahito Yokota is credited (at timestamp 9:10) as the one who did "Teaser Music Orchestration Music", which I'm pretty sure just means the music for the trailers, therefore I left the composers as previously written.
Ah, I see, I didn't think of checking the credits for that tbh haha, thank you for checking! -inkjets back to my own sheet to delete yokota from my sheet-

In m53 and 61, the stems should be flipped so they all point upwards, but aside from that it looks good!

Whoppybones

Bloop

Maelstrom

I just have one thing
In m42, why does it have both the inversion on beat 2 but the note removed altogether on b4?
Might be nice if you either made all the ->4th inversions (you don't have a ton) consistent in all cases, or dropped the top note from the chords in all places. Note that the only thing this doesn't refer to is when you need to drop the notes a whole octave.

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on September 11, 2022, 05:28:31 PMBefore I forget, the measure distribution for both this and your other submission seems rather arbitrary with four to six measures to a system and extra white space on the last page. Give this some thought and let me know if you want some help playing around with it due to Notepad limitations.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Whoppybones

I agree with your point, Maelstrom. Measures changed are m26, m42, m54, m58, and m62. For m54 and m62, I made b4 the same as b2 was for consistency. Let me know if you think I shouldn't have changed those.

And for Lat, yes I would very much appreciate help with spacing.