News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[GCN] The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - "Hyrule Fields" by Cashwarrior1

Started by Zeta, August 31, 2022, 05:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Hyrule Fields
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Cashwarrior1

[attachment deleted by admin]

cashwarrior1

This is an arrangement of the Seal of the Seven Maidens track from alttp, but with a new section at the end lol. I am having trouble hearing what the harmony of measure 32 is supposed to be (the staccato strings have been playing two notes the entire time but I can't hear the bottom note for that measure) and it is dissonant so I can't really make a guess.

Kricketune54

Pretty good overall, outside of nitpicky note stuff, just 3 formatting comments:
-Spacing of pages 1 and 2 have some extra space at the bottom that could be eliminated by spacing out the systems a bit more
-Cresc. in m16 could move down a bit
-Move decresc. in m39 or the cresc. in m37 to line up with each other

Notes
Just a thought, might be interesting to include the opening role bit, which I guess is just what you already have as the last measure. Is this "m1" in the YouTube video typically heard first? Never played Four Swords

-m3 RH I hear an Eb instead of an Fn at the bottom of this chord. Applies also for m11
-m12 RH the bottom two notes of this chord sound like it's actually two half notes with the F being on beat 1 and the Eb on beat 3. Perhaps make as a second layer
-m13 RH beat 4 lower note is F# (missing accidental)
-m16 RH First grouping of sextuplets the C is a B, the F# is an Fn, and in the second grouping the F# is an Fn
-m22 LH is this up an octave for a reason? Also applies for LH m41 and m43

-m24 RH notes sound to be a tuplet group of 18 or two nonuplets instead of 12 sixteenths - I believe the starting pitch is D instead of C and that it goes up to an A in the next measure an octave above what is currently in m21. I don't think that to a necessary inclusion though, but I'd suggest slowing this part down if the aim is to get each of these notes in m24. Maybe a glissando is preferred?

-m32 RH I don't think there's any issue with what you have here
-m37-38 Should the added vocal notes, which currently are on bottom of the chords be on top/up an octave?
-m39 LH I don't quite hear this this way, but the same way as m40 and previous. Notes F-Bb-Eb-F for the rhythm though
-m42 LH beat 2 I hear an E also held with the D
-m43 LH I hear Ab on beat 1, Ab on beat 1.5 up an octave, beat 4.5 also an Ab but same octave as beat 1. D on beat 2 also up an octave (as mentioned in earlier bullet)
-m44 LH I also hear the beat 1 as an Ab under the D I think exclude at your discretion though. Beat 1.5 is an Ab, beat 2 is a Cn
-One additional suggestion for m44 LH... I don't hear the A on beat 4.5 but I was thinking might work well as far as staying within key to have an Ab tremolo on beats 3-4 here

Maelstrom

-m13 RH B4 - The F here is an F#. No tritones in my zelda's  theme remix (doesn't suspect anything)
-m14 RH - lower notes in b4/4.5 are F# and G
-m32 RH - 2nd layer chord is E-F# (which means respelling the bassline)
-m43 RH - Move the Fn on the bottom of the chord to the top to prepare the next measure. Also the A# is a Ab
-m44 RH - Top 2 notes are good, but move the B to a G#
-m22 LH - First note is a C, and all notes are an octave lower
-m37 LH - You can totally fit in the full arpeggios here instead of just having a single note
-m38 LH - I hear something a bit different. b2 is an Eb, b2.5 a G, and it's held until the note on b4.5 comes in
-m39 LH - b3.5 is a G and that's the note that's held
-m42 LH - I hear b2 as an E
-m43 LH - I hear B1.5 as an Ab. b4.5 also
-m44 LH - b1.5 is an Ab, b2 a C. I also don't hear the A on b4.5 at all.

edit: just realized kricketune just posted ........
will do a recheck after you address both of our feedback, overlapping as it may be
Also I think there's chords on LH b2.5 in m40-end

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 10, 2022, 03:03:48 PMNotes
Just a thought, might be interesting to include the opening role bit, which I guess is just what you already have as the last measure. Is this "m1" in the YouTube video typically heard first? Never played Four Swords
I've never played it either but since it's just a fade in of the track and not a unique intro, I'd rather start at the beginning of the loop for the sheet.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 10, 2022, 03:03:48 PM-m22 LH is this up an octave for a reason? Also applies for LH m41 and m43
I was wanting to avoid big leaps and thought that it sounded nicer keeping it up the octave. I went ahead and put m22 down the octave to keep the bass movement, but 41 and 43 I left up the octave for ease of playing.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 10, 2022, 03:03:48 PM-m24 RH notes sound to be a tuplet group of 18 or two nonuplets instead of 12 sixteenths - I believe the starting pitch is D instead of C and that it goes up to an A in the next measure an octave above what is currently in m21. I don't think that to a necessary inclusion though, but I'd suggest slowing this part down if the aim is to get each of these notes in m24. Maybe a glissando is preferred?
I really was just trying to get the general suggestion of a harp arpeggio and so I just chose to use a playable scale that leads to the melody note of the next measure. I don't think that it really changes the listening experience since it's just a scale.

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 03:10:58 PM-m14 RH - lower notes in b4/4.5 are F# and G
I'm hearing that line lower the second time..

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 03:10:58 PM-m37 LH - You can totally fit in the full arpeggios here instead of just having a single note
-m38 LH - I hear something a bit different. b2 is an Eb, b2.5 a G, and it's held until the note on b4.5 comes in
With the full arpeggios for measure 37-38 I'm hearing something playing on each eighth note. I'm not hearing the Eb to G line in m38, unless that's something other than the timpani line?

[overlapping feedback for ease of review]
Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 10, 2022, 03:03:48 PM-m13 RH beat 4 lower note is F# (missing accidental)
Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 03:10:58 PM-m13 RH B4 - The F here is an F#. No tritones in my zelda's  theme remix (doesn't suspect anything)

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 10, 2022, 03:03:48 PM-m22 LH is this up an octave for a reason? Also applies for LH m41 and m43
Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 03:10:58 PM-m22 LH - First note is a C, and all notes are an octave lower

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 10, 2022, 03:03:48 PM-m39 LH I don't quite hear this this way, but the same way as m40 and previous. Notes F-Bb-Eb-F for the rhythm though
Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 03:10:58 PM-m39 LH - b3.5 is a G and that's the note that's held
I did F-Bb-Eb-G

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 10, 2022, 03:03:48 PM-m42 LH beat 2 I hear an E also held with the D
Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 03:10:58 PM-m42 LH - I hear b2 as an E

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 10, 2022, 03:03:48 PM-m43 LH I hear Ab on beat 1, Ab on beat 1.5 up an octave, beat 4.5 also an Ab but same octave as beat 1. D on beat 2 also up an octave (as mentioned in earlier bullet)
Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 03:10:58 PM-m43 LH - I hear B1.5 as an Ab. b4.5 also
I left D down the octave, and I don't hear Ab on beat 1

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 10, 2022, 03:03:48 PM-m44 LH I also hear the beat 1 as an Ab under the D I think exclude at your discretion though. Beat 1.5 is an Ab, beat 2 is a Cn
-One additional suggestion for m44 LH... I don't hear the A on beat 4.5 but I was thinking might work well as far as staying within key to have an Ab tremolo on beats 3-4 here
Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 03:10:58 PM-m44 LH - b1.5 is an Ab, b2 a C. I also don't hear the A on b4.5 at all.
Don't hear Ab on beat 1.

Ninja'dated.

Maelstrom

QuoteI'm hearing that line lower the second time..
Yeah, you're right about m14 oops
QuoteI'm not hearing the Eb to G line in m38, unless that's something other than the timpani line?
Oops this was m39 and kricketune got it so it's fine now
Quote from: Kricketune-One additional suggestion for m44 LH... I don't hear the A on beat 4.5 but I was thinking might work well as far as staying within key to have an Ab tremolo on beats 3-4 here
I like this idea

alright, round 2
-m2/m8 RH - I hear this full chord as a Bb7 and the C a D instead.
-Scratch the chords on m41-end. At first is sounded like they were hitting on b2.5 as a separate note, but then I realized it's the same situation as the intro and it's been a while since I've done sheet music
-I do, however, hear a G on b2.5 of m40, which makes it copy m39's rhythm

And that's it! Between all of us, I think we got this sheet in a good position. This is all I've got for you.

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 07:57:04 PM
Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 10, 2022, 03:03:48 PM-One additional suggestion for m44 LH... I don't hear the A on beat 4.5 but I was thinking might work well as far as staying within key to have an Ab tremolo on beats 3-4 here
I like this idea
Oops I missed that

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 07:57:04 PM-Scratch the chords on m41-end. At first is sounded like they were hitting on b2.5 as a separate note, but then I realized it's the same situation as the intro and it's been a while since I've done sheet music
I did keep the En in m42

Updated.

Maelstrom

going to approve with a word of advice.
Most people have slurs ending on the final note of a tied set and you've done that exclusively in m7-8 RH. You can choose which one you do, and while I might recommend the latter, you should 100% make them consistent.

cashwarrior1

Maelstrom

cashwarrior1

Latios212

Love the sound of the progression from m. 21-23...

Maybe this is a can of worms, but I've seen this in other places recently... you, Bloop, and Whoppy have written "Asuka Ota" which to my understanding matches some of the game credits... but I've seen "Asuka Ohta" most commonly across online sources?

Anyway about the arrangement!

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 07:57:04 PMAnd that's it! Between all of us, I think we got this sheet in a good position. This is all I've got for you.
Yep, great work you all, I don't spot anything off. Notes check out! Just a couple of comments:
- The pedal marking is a bit low in m. 40
- The G# in the last measure would probably be better off as an Ab

Also, I'm of the opinion that the slurs really don't do anything in this sheet besides add clutter - when all the phrases have large phrase markings over them, they become less useful especially since many of them are rather wide and already span longer ties. You're free to keep it as is of course, though.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Latios212 on September 20, 2022, 05:01:26 PMMaybe this is a can of worms, but I've seen this in other places recently... you, Bloop, and Whoppy have written "Asuka Ota" which to my understanding matches some of the game credits... but I've seen "Asuka Ohta" most commonly across online sources?
Time for our Ninsheetmusic Japanese Lesson™! 太田あすか (Asuka Ota)'s last name is made of the kanji 太, read as おお (oo/ō) and 田, read as た (ta). In romanji it can be written in many ways while still being accurate to pronunciation. "Oo," "Oh," or even just "O" can be read the same so it can be written in any of those ways.

Quote from: Latios212 on September 20, 2022, 05:01:26 PMAlso, I'm of the opinion that the slurs really don't do anything in this sheet besides add clutter - when all the phrases have large phrase markings over them, they become less useful especially since many of them are rather wide and already span longer ties. You're free to keep it as is of course, though.
That makes sense. I kept the slurs for the sixteenth runs, but it does look cleaner now.

Updated.

TheZeldaPianist275

Doesn't this piece have 8 additional measures of intro at the beginning?

You can hear the ending to the full loop in the video you linked in the OP as it starts over, but it's not the intro.

Kricketune54

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on September 21, 2022, 11:55:48 AMDoesn't this piece have 8 additional measures of intro at the beginning?

You can hear the ending to the full loop in the video you linked in the OP as it starts over, but it's not the intro.

Honestly was wondering if there was more at the beginning cause version originally linked was a bit abrupt sounding... I'm also not familiar with the source game's music even if it seems like it's mostly just remixes.

This playthrough of the seems to confirm what ZeldaPianist linked. Level is called "The Field"?