[SNES] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - "Death Mountain" (Replacement) by PiranhaPlant

Started by Zeta, December 31, 2022, 01:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Death Mountain
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: PiranhaPlant

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

PiranhaPlant

For the record I believe Black Mist is the correct name (although i'm a little unsure because the internet seems all over the place)... it seems to be more between "Dark Mountain Forest" and "Black Mist".
Also i'm not exactly sure what to do with the slurs from like 21-28... I was thinking it should sort of be legato but i'm not sure if they are entirely necessary...? also I think I accidently deleted the slur that's supposed to go over the first voice between 27-28 i'll add that back in a bit

Whoppybones

For the person to receive what will almost certainly be the last section of feedback I give before my mission, "PIRAHNA PLANT, I CHOOSE YOU!" ;)
 - I'm in agreement on "Black Mist", that's the title I always see.
 - In m2, 4, and similar, there's an extra bass drum hit on b3 that you could include if you wanted (I think it's a C)
 - It sounds to me like m5 is louder than m1. I think starting on a mf is fine (you could also do mp if you'd like), but I think there should be a crescendo up to f by m5 either way.
 - m7/15 b4.67 should have a Bn, not a Bb
 - I also find myself in disagreement with the dynamic change at m21. It certainly doesn't sound quieter to me; if anything, it sounds even louder, but I'd leave it at forte myself.
 - m23-27 LH It seems you accidentally inverted the b4 rhythm (triplets vs. 8ths/16ths)
 - As far as the slurs go, I definitely think they're warranted for the lower voice of the RH, but I'm not so sure about the upper voice. It sounds like there's still some staccatos in this section of the melody. Either way, the slurs could use some adjusting to prevent the intersections with the "3" on the triplets.

This is certainly a great arrangement of a great song. Upon my return I shall most certainly enjoy playing it! ;D

PiranhaPlant

- Me inverting the rhythm is actually the funniest first submisson-itis possible lol that's fixed along with the other more obvious stuff
- Trying to update that was my first time editing in finale so now i'm iffy on actual dynamic positioning if that looks right because it looks un-centered? I don't even know...
- I also decided to just remove slurs from the top voice in the string section because it does sound choppier but I feel like there isn't anywhere that should have staccatos because I think it's just how that string sample cuts but I agree with taking the slur off
- Also I still want the last section to get dynamically slightly quieter just because of the instrument change (even if it literally sounds louder)... it just feels softer- maybe I should just leave the dynamic and say dolce...?
- I tried to re-adjust the slurs but their positioning still feels somewhat off and I don't know how to adjust them "correctly"
Anyways thank you so much for helping, good luck on your trip!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: PiranhaPlant on December 31, 2022, 07:31:11 PM- Trying to update that was my first time editing in finale so now i'm iffy on actual dynamic positioning if that looks right because it looks un-centered? I don't even know...
Horizontally it looks good but vertically I'd recommend something more like this:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Quote from: PiranhaPlant on December 31, 2022, 07:31:11 PMmaybe I should just leave the dynamic and say dolce...?
I would opt for that instead, but also remove the slurs in the lower layer (unnecessary information + clutter)
Additionally, everything sounds equally intense to me so I would use one dynamic throughout the whole sheet.

Quote from: PiranhaPlant on December 31, 2022, 07:31:11 PM- I tried to re-adjust the slurs but their positioning still feels somewhat off and I don't know how to adjust them "correctly"
That should no longer be an issue :)

One more minor thing: Have you considered shortening the last system? It looks a little stretched currently.

PiranhaPlant

From the initial post, I have now:
- Changed the Bb's to Bn's in m7/15
- Added "dolce" instead of a dynamic change at m21
- Fixed the rhythmic inversion in the dolce section
- Taken out the slurs in the dolce section to reduce clutter
- Added new dynamics along with a crescendo at the intro
- Changed the dynamic positioning
- Horizontally shortened the last system

Bloop

About the name, I don't think there's an official source for names of A Link to the Past, so all options are open. I think I've personally seen Death Mountain a bit more, as that's what the theme is best known for, but I guess either works. Interestingly, the SSBB soundtrack lists its remix as Hidden Mountain & Forest, and A Link Between Worlds as Scaling Death Mountain or just Death Mountain. Lmk what you decide on definitively, so I can change the title on site for you ^^

-m1-4: Was the crescendo here purely based on the youtube video? I think the volume increase might be some sort of mistake, since it suddenly goes back down at around 0:11, after which is the same volume as at the start of the video.
-m6 and 14: It's a bit hard to hear, but in the R.H. beat 4 third triplet note, the Bb should be a C
-m26: The L.H. notes here should be D and F (instead of F and Ab)

Also, did you take a look at this suggestion from Whoppy? I kinda like it when playing :p
Quote from: Whoppybones on December 31, 2022, 06:15:55 PM- In m2, 4, and similar, there's an extra bass drum hit on b3 that you could include if you wanted (I think it's a C)

PiranhaPlant

Updated! I fixed the note inaccuracies and also went ahead and just added the timpani part Whoopy mentioned. Additionally, it seems when I was changing around the dolce section I left out some staccatos so I added those back in.
Also, I went over to Khinsider to look if that also had any sort of dynamic change but it did not so I have just left the entire sheet and forte. In terms of the name I think I am just going to go with "Death Mountain" because, as you said, that seems to be what its most commonly known as and what it's already called on the site. Thanks for taking a look : D

Bloop

Latios212

This looks great, nice work! Just one thing to ask. Are m. 5-12 exactly the same as m. 13-20 (they look so to me)? If so, I'd recommend using repeat bars around m. 5-12 and using a D.S. to reflect the current repeated section - namely a segno at m. 5 and D.S. at the end of the last measure.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

PiranhaPlant

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta