News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[PC] Witch on the Holy Night - "Manifestation / The Great Three" by Libera

Started by Zeta, January 05, 2023, 02:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Witch on the Holy Night
Console: PC
Title: Manifestation / The Great Three
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Libera

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fantastic Ike

Ooh always love Hideyuki Fukasawa's stuff (your composer credit has an extra "k" btw)

Just curious, what's with all the hidden pedal markings? I get that they're probably for playback, but I don't see a con pedale anywhere. (Also the strings in the beginning of the track sound kind of staccato)

But it's a fun song though!

Libera

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on January 06, 2023, 06:01:46 AM(your composer credit has an extra "k" btw)

Oops typo.

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on January 06, 2023, 06:01:46 AMJust curious, what's with all the hidden pedal markings? I get that they're probably for playback, but I don't see a con pedale anywhere. (Also the strings in the beginning of the track sound kind of staccato)

Yes, just for playback.  I can make it all a bit more explicit though with staccato at the beginning and then pedal, sure.

Fantastic Ike

QuoteYes, just for playback.  I can make it all a bit more explicit though with staccato at the beginning and then pedal, sure.

Okay cool, just wondering!

XiaoMigros

• From m9 onwards: I think you could incorporate those accented piano notes somehow; either with a corresponding marking or having those places play in octaves, for example.
  • m19-34: Do you think it's worth differentiating between the volume of the choir and strings?
  • m35-42: While this section sounds fine as is, might there be a way to incorporate some of the choir part so it's more harmonically interesting?
  • m53-end: I get wanting to have a strong contrast in the LH between this section and the preceding ones, but by making it too static it does lose some of the original's grandeur. Below is an example I came up with, accenting the downbeats with low notes, though obviously feel free to do whatever you like (or none of this, if you disagree)!
    m53-54 LH
    You cannot view this attachment.
    [close]

Libera

Thanks for having a look!  Responses inline and files updated.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on January 08, 2023, 06:34:24 AM
  • From m9 onwards: I think you could incorporate those accented piano notes somehow; either with a corresponding marking or having those places play in octaves, for example. Yeah sure I can add in octaves at the start of each bar, that works.
  • m19-34: Do you think it's worth differentiating between the volume of the choir and strings? I'm currently leaning towards no, though maybe if everyone feels otherwise I'll think about it.  It seems kind of messy/confusing for not much gain.
  • m35-42: While this section sounds fine as is, might there be a way to incorporate some of the choir part so it's more harmonically interesting? I think the octaves are already enough for the performer to focus on, and with the pedal you're going to get a full sound anyway.  The only thing you're really missing is the F# in the second half of bars 36 etc. but I don't think it's that big of a deal.
  • m53-end: I get wanting to have a strong contrast in the LH between this section and the preceding ones, but by making it too static it does lose some of the original's grandeur. Below is an example I came up with, accenting the downbeats with low notes, though obviously feel free to do whatever you like (or none of this, if you disagree)! I like having the extra space that this section currently has and I don't really think it needs anything else for the left hand to do on top of what is already there.
    m53-54 LH
    [close]

Bloop

Looking pretty good, just a few playability things I wanted to mention:

-m19: The jump down from the end of m18 to this chord is quite large and fast, maybe you could alter the ending of m18 or do some octave displacement magic on this first chord?
-m43: Kinda the same as above with the small run at the end of m42. This one is a bit easier to play, but still pretty hard to consistently fall on the right chord.
-m67: You could flip the inner two ties in the R.H. so they don't clash with each other.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on January 08, 2023, 06:34:24 AM
  • m19-34: Do you think it's worth differentiating between the volume of the choir and strings?
Another idea to differentiate between the choir and strings (not necessarily with dynamics) is shrinking the noteheads of the strings like in the part at m43-52. They're not that hard to play of course, but making them an optional extra voice also makes clear it's different from the choir part.

Libera

Quote from: Bloop on January 28, 2023, 07:59:47 AM-m19: The jump down from the end of m18 to this chord is quite large and fast, maybe you could alter the ending of m18 or do some octave displacement magic on this first chord?
-m43: Kinda the same as above with the small run at the end of m42. This one is a bit easier to play, but still pretty hard to consistently fall on the right chord.

Yeah the first one is very hard, so I moved the chord up an octave.  The second one I feel like is very doable with a little bit of practice so I left it as-is.

Quote from: Bloop on January 28, 2023, 07:59:47 AM-m67: You could flip the inner two ties in the R.H. so they don't clash with each other.

Oh no that's awful, sorry about that.  Fixed.

Quote from: Bloop on January 28, 2023, 07:59:47 AMAnother idea to differentiate between the choir and strings (not necessarily with dynamics) is shrinking the noteheads of the strings like in the part at m43-52. They're not that hard to play of course, but making them an optional extra voice also makes clear it's different from the choir part.

I thought about this when making the arrangement actually and I narrowly decided against it, but if you're suggesting it I'll do that.  I don't really mind and this definitely makes the voicing clearer.

Thanks for the feedback!  Files updated.

Bloop

Everything looks good, I'll approve!

Latios212

Interesting piece! Also surprisingly easy to check, just a couple of small things to mention :P

- Not sure if this is just my ears, but all the RH dyads in the intro I hear inverted downwards. I suppose it sounds fine as is though.
- Thoughts about replacing the A in the last chord of m. 50 with a lower harmony note (like D or Eb)? I think the minor second it forms with the Bb in the main melody is a bit distracting.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on February 27, 2023, 04:03:05 PM- Not sure if this is just my ears, but all the RH dyads in the intro I hear inverted downwards. I suppose it sounds fine as is though.

Yeah it plays the top line an octave lower as well but it gets a little in the way of the LH so I omitted it.  I still think the line I wrote in is there though, if a little quieter than the one starting on the Bb.  I'd prefer to keep it as-is.

Quote from: Latios212 on February 27, 2023, 04:03:05 PM- Thoughts about replacing the A in the last chord of m. 50 with a lower harmony note (like D or Eb)? I think the minor second it forms with the Bb in the main melody is a bit distracting.

Yeah sure that works for me!

Files updated.  Thanks for checking!

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta