[GEN] Shining Force - "Hikari no Gunzei (World Map 1)" (Replacement) by Nine Lives

Started by Zeta, July 15, 2023, 09:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Shining Force
Console: Sega Genesis
Title: Hikari no Gunzei (World Map 1)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Nine Lives

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

NineLives

Bloop

-m1-8: Any Db you see here should be a C#. This piece is in D minor, and the C# is the (raised) 7th in the D minor scale. Chord-wise this usually is part of the A major or C# diminished chord, which are the V and vii in D minor.
-m11: huh, it took me a while to realize the L.H. chord in beat 3 wasn't Eb minor (Eb Gb Bb) but Gb7 (Gb Bb Db Fb). Usually the E would be written like Fb, as it's the 7 in Gb7, but in this case that would look weird with the melody, and it resolves up to F instead of down to Eb. Maybe you could add a courtesy accidental to the En, so it's clearer what the chord is. You could add one in the R.H. as well. It's also to cancel out thinking there's still an Eb after m10 (both the R.H. and L.H.).
-m12: The bottom notes of the quarter notes in beat 2, 3 and 4 should all be two steps lower: all 6ths instead of 4ths.
-m14: The D on beat 1.5 should be a C.
-As a personal suggestion, maybe you could add "con pedale" in m9 and "senza pedale" in m17? The section in m9-16 sounds like a pedal would sound nice with it, to contrast it from the staccato stabs in the rest of the song. It will also help with playing m12: you could move all of the R.H. beat 2-4 to the L.H. then.

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

NineLives

Everything should be updated accordingly.
Quote from: Bloop on August 04, 2023, 11:02:27 AM-As a personal suggestion, maybe you could add "con pedale" in m9 and "senza pedale" in m17? The section in m9-16 sounds like a pedal would sound nice with it, to contrast it from the staccato stabs in the rest of the song. It will also help with playing m12: you could move all of the R.H. beat 2-4 to the L.H. then.
I prefer to end the pedaling in measure 16, given the staccato eighth and sixteenth notes on count four in the right hand and I think the repeated eighths in the left hand are better not pedaled.
I also added an octave C to count 1 of measure 12 to better resolve the previous measure.

Bloop

Quote from: NineLives on August 05, 2023, 12:06:17 PMI prefer to end the pedaling in measure 16, given the staccato eighth and sixteenth notes on count four in the right hand and I think the repeated eighths in the left hand are better not pedaled.
I also added an octave C to count 1 of measure 12 to better resolve the previous measure.
That makes sense yeah!

I forgot to mention the following also applied to m18-21 for the same reasons:
Quote from: Bloop on August 04, 2023, 11:02:27 AM-m1-8: Any Db you see here should be a C#. This piece is in D minor, and the C# is the (raised) 7th in the D minor scale. Chord-wise this usually is part of the A major or C# diminished chord, which are the V and vii in D minor.

Besides that, it looks good!

NineLives

Bloop

I'll approve!
You cannot view this attachment.

Looking at the courtesy accidentals a bit more closely, there are some parts on the second page where you could add some courtesy accidentals in the L.H. like you did in m1-8 (specifically in m19 and 22 at the Cn). You could also add these to the Bb's in m4, 8, 20 and 23, if you want. These aren't necessarily required, but it might be nice to be a little consistent with them if you've used them a few times ^^

Kricketune54

m16 LH you could actually make this a tremolo between the bottom two and top two notes, kind of capture the percussion and the fact these notes are more 16th's anyway.

That's all I got though!

NineLives

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 03, 2023, 07:28:13 PMm16 LH you could actually make this a tremolo between the bottom two and top two notes, kind of capture the percussion and the fact these notes are more 16th's anyway.
I appreciate the idea, but I believe a tremolo of 16ths would make it difficult to jump up to the chords in measure 17. The last note being an eighth gives the player more time to jump there. That was my thought anyway.

Kricketune54

It's a little more difficult but honestly a bit awkward, so if you prefer to keep m16 as is I have nothing else to add, and will accept

Zeta