[3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby & Pokémon Alpha Sapphire - "A Path We All Must Walk" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, February 28, 2023, 03:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Omega Ruby & Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: A Path We All Must Walk
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

I had to dig this one up after hearing Cacabish play it during performance events :)

The file was last touched well over 5 years ago, and I've updated it to my latest template. I also did a quick note check and the arrangement still stands, although notably I fixed the last bass note which was incorrect before.

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

This is really pretty! A few of my favorite pop songs use a similar chord progression
  • m3: I hear an additional D4 on beat 6
  • m4 beat 5: There's a soft Eb4 here
  • m6: I think the RH C should be D. I also hear the C from the following measure starting at beat 6.5 in this measure
  • m9: The low Bb in beat 1 of the RH I think is actually a Gn
  • m10/11: I wonder if the grace notes would best be placed in front of the barline? Either way, the tie between Fs is barely visible and should be adjusted
  • m12: The guitar part continues playing eighths up until beat 4, and the rest in the RH might best be moved down a little
  • m13 beats 4-6: I think you can include the low guitar part here from earlier in the measure, for example by adding G3 on beat 5 and D2 on beat 6
  • m15 beat 5: I think the Cb is restruck here
Have you considered including more of the harmony during the LH's eighth figures? It does have the unwanted effect of making this more difficult to play, but some of the guitar notes are quite prominent? It's also fine if you want to keep it as is, just thought I'd ask
Also, thoughts on using the pedal?

Latios212

Thanks for checking! :)

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 02, 2023, 12:54:57 AM
  • m3: I hear an additional D4 on beat 6
  • m9: The low Bb in beat 1 of the RH I think is actually a Gn
  • m12: The guitar part continues playing eighths up until beat 4, and the rest in the RH might best be moved down a little
  • m15 beat 5: I think the Cb is restruck here
Updated these! (Unrelated, but I moved the Ab on beat 4 of m. 12 to the left hand to make it easier to play)

• m4 beat 5: There's a soft Eb4 here
I can hear it, but didn't want to include it since it'd be too distracting going above where the melody is (when played it could be mistaken for part of the melody).

• m6: I think the RH C should be D. I also hear the C from the following measure starting at beat 6.5 in this measure
Yup, think that D is right. I didn't want to include the C at the end of this measure though in order to let the RH prioritize hitting the melody grace note at the beginning of the next measure instead.

• m10/11: I wonder if the grace notes would best be placed in front of the barline? Either way, the tie between Fs is barely visible and should be adjusted
Not a super strong preference but I think I'd prefer to keep these as is since they don't play that much before the beat. Adjusted the tie a bit!

• m13 beats 4-6: I think you can include the low guitar part here from earlier in the measure, for example by adding G3 on beat 5 and D2 on beat 6
I put in a G on beat 5 (and removed it on beat 4), though I think that D sounds a bit out of place on beat 6 so I omitted it to prioritize the sound of the melody.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 02, 2023, 12:54:57 AMHave you considered including more of the harmony during the LH's eighth figures? It does have the unwanted effect of making this more difficult to play, but some of the guitar notes are quite prominent? It's also fine if you want to keep it as is, just thought I'd ask
Also, thoughts on using the pedal?
I did think about adding more harmony, but decided that it'd give the piece too thick of a sound than I wanted for piano (in addition to making it more difficult to play). I forgot the pedal indication though, so I added that!

Files are updated~

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Latios212 on April 04, 2023, 07:55:58 PMI did think about adding more harmony, but decided that it'd give the piece too thick of a sound than I wanted for piano (in addition to making it more difficult to play).
I presumed as much :) What's written at the moment works really well!
  • Would the new D in m3 be easier to play in the RH?
  • The slur in m5 is a little too round for my taste, and the one in m7 should start over the stem and not the notehead
Everything else looks great-

Latios212

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 04, 2023, 11:25:04 PMI presumed as much :) What's written at the moment works really well!
  • Would the new D in m3 be easier to play in the RH?
  • The slur in m5 is a little too round for my taste, and the one in m7 should start over the stem and not the notehead
Everything else looks great-
Awesome! About the two remaining points:
- On second thought I think I may just prefer taking it out. It may be a bit more trouble than it's worth and I don't have extra harmony on beat 6 of any other measure, keeping any extra harmony primarily on the strong beats (1 and 4).
- Yup, adjusted both!

Files updated, thanks again :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Latios212 on April 06, 2023, 06:48:25 AM- On second thought I think I may just prefer taking it out.
That works for me, like this it's also more in line with the rest of the sheet. I approve

Kricketune54

Just a few points from me; I think all of these fall under theme of they're there, but it's at your discretion whether to include:

• m9 LH beats 1.33 and 2.33 I'm hearing a soft G above the Eb, and 1.66 and 2.66 I'm hearing a Bb above the G; both notes are acoustic part
  • m12 LH beat 1.66 sounds like an Eb more than G, but it honestly sounds barely audible as a note
  • m13 beat 1.66 hearing an Eb under the G/over the C, not sure if this was addressed by Xiao's earlier feedback in this measure, but probably okay to omit considering what both hands are doing
  • m14 LH beat 1.33 hearing an Eb above the Ab but might be a weird restrike so up to you

Latios212

Yep, I took a quick look and for these places I'd like to prioritize the parts I have written and avoid too many harmony notes that aren't on the strong beats. Thanks for checking!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Zeta