[MUL] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - "Urbosa and the Divine Beast" by gu

Started by Zeta, March 09, 2023, 03:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Urbosa and the Divine Beast
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: gu

[attachment deleted by admin]

XiaoMigros

• m3-6: I hear beats 2 and 4 in the L.H. always as Gb
  • m7: You're missing Dbs in the last 2 chords
  • m8: I think there's an Eb played on beat 1 as well. I don't hear the Gbs in the last 2 chords though
  • m9-10: The Ans here should be written as Bbbs (Gb minor chord)
  • m10: beat 4.5 should be Ab, followed by C and Eb as grace notes
  • m11-12: I think the RH would best be split between both hands
  • m13: I hear the last grace note as Gn not Bb
  • m14: I hear another Bb an octave lower than you have written on beat 4
  • m15: I hear an Ab-Eb-F chord starting on Ab3 in the LH, instead of what you have written
  • m17: I hear an additional Eb in the LH at beat 1
  • m18: In the RH, I hear a Db just below the F, and in the LH i hear an octave of Cb
  • m19: I think this chord would sound closer to the original if voiced a little differently: In the LH you could have an octave of Bb, and in the RH (in ascending order) F-Bb-C-F. I also think you should sustain the RH chord in a lower layer like the LH is sustained.
  • m21: I hear the first LH chord as Bb-Db-F. In the RH, i would write beat 1 as a whole note and move beat 3 to a different layer
  • m22: The Eb in the LH is an octave lower than you have written. For the RH, at beat 1 I hear the Eb played by the erhu, and the piano plays Eb-F-Bb-C. You can write the piano in the lower voices, so the arpeggio doesn't affect the Erhu note
  • m23: I think the piano plays Eb-F-Bb-C here again
  • m25-26: I don't think it's worth having both of these measures and a fermata; I think cutting m25 would be best. The last note in the LH will also need a fermata marking.

Also some more general remarks:
  • The grace notes you have would best be written before the barlines rather than after them. Also, it's recommended you add slurs to them (from the first grace note to the first normal note)
  • When writing for piano, upwards arpeggios usually don't need arrow heads. Best use regular arpeggio markings instead.

gu

Updated! Thanks a lot Xiao! :)
I implemented everything, except the Db and Eb on the chords in m7 and m8, as I personally couldn't hear them.

I ran into a problem with the playback on m19 - m22, where the dynamics on the RH didn't seem to change along with the 'F' marking or cresc./ dim. hairpins. The notes play extremely faintly, barely been able to hear them
I believe it has something to do with the voices and layers in Finale/Notepad, as it seems to only correspond to the 'mp' marking
Putting a dynamic mark on the 3rd beat of m21 seems to fix it, but since it only affects the .mid file, I decided to keep it without it to preserve the other files.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: gu on March 15, 2023, 08:45:24 AMI implemented everything, except the Db and Eb on the chords in m7 and m8, as I personally couldn't hear them.
That's fair, listening to it again it sounds like it might just have been the echo

Quote from: gu on March 15, 2023, 08:45:24 AMI ran into a problem with the playback on m19 - m22, where the dynamics on the RH didn't seem to change along with the 'F' marking or cresc./ dim. hairpins.
Me or someone else can get that for you in regular finale before this gets accepted, if you want.

Text:
  • The tempo marking would best be written as one text object: "Light Rubato (bpm)". Text and parentheses should be 12pt and bold.
  • con pedale marking: If you can do this in notepad, you should uncheck the "fixed size" option.
  • Page 2 is missing the title header

Dynamics:
  • I think the crescendo from m1 last up until m7, i feel like the loudness peaks there for a while
  • I feel like m9 is then slightly quieter than m7, maybe mp would work there? the 8ths in m8 can have a decrescendo
  • I don't hear forte in m21, that beat is noticably quieter than the ones around it. Can you go over this section again, too?

(Grace) Notes & Rests:
  • When there are 2 or more consecutive grace notes, they should have at least 2 beams (i.e: look like 16ths)
  • For m11, you can use a dotted line to show the continuation of this voice through hands, and then you can hide the surrounding rests there too:
    Dashed Line example
    You cannot view this attachment.
    [close]
  • You'll notice that in the image above I also moved the rests down, so they aren't floating around anymore. If you could adjust that here, and in m19, 21, & 23 that would be great!
If you have any questions or need help with something let me know :)

gu

Hi Xiao, thank you for your help :)
Congratulations on becoming a Updater! Your feedback has helped me tremendously to make better sheets, and become a better arranger in general, I'm really happy to see you and Kricketune on main roles, you guys deserve it.

The files have been updated with the corrections, alongside some small tweaks:

- The last chord (m23) has a G on top, intead of an F, sounding more on par with the erhu
- Dynamics have been re-done and m19-m22 have been fixed. I also added 'morendo' in the end, as to signify both "dim." and "rit."
- It seems that Notepad doesn't have the "fixed size" option for con pedale, so I unfortunately couldn't change that, neither a dashed line option, so I used a regular one in m11

XiaoMigros

Quote from: gu on March 25, 2023, 10:13:48 AMCongratulations on becoming a Updater! Your feedback has helped me tremendously to make better sheets, and become a better arranger in general, I'm really happy to see you and Kricketune on main roles, you guys deserve it.
Thanks! Being updaters will allow us both to help out more here, while also taking some weight off the other updaters :) I'm glad you appreciate the feedback we give, it's partly what helped me get better as an arranger too!

Quote from: gu on March 25, 2023, 10:13:48 AM- The last chord (m23) has a G on top, intead of an F, sounding more on par with the erhu
Good catch! There's enough Fs in this chord already, thanks to the LH...

Quote from: gu on March 25, 2023, 10:13:48 AM- Dynamics have been re-done and m19-m22 have been fixed. I also added 'morendo' in the end, as to signify both "dim." and "rit."
I think the morendo marking would be better suited at m23, and it should go above the staff.

Quote from: gu on March 25, 2023, 10:13:48 AM- It seems that Notepad doesn't have the "fixed size" option for con pedale, so I unfortunately couldn't change that, neither a dashed line option, so I used a regular one in m11
No problem! One of the cool perks updaters have is being able to edit submissions, so I'll get those and the other non-notepadable stuff fixed for you once you make the changes below:
  • The grace notes in m10 and m12 would also be better off with slurs, like you did in m18
  • The RH at beat 1 in m21 should be written as a half note, and I hear the LH at beat 1 an octave higher than you have written currently.

XiaoMigros

Looks good! Thank you for your fast responses :)
I updated the submission for you, mostly changing system spacing and the text sizes I talked about earlier.

I approve!

(Note to self/future people checking this sheet: The fermatas were in the wrong direction in the .mus, but were fine in the PDF. I can provide a correct .musx file if needed)

Latios212

Looking good! A few things to mention:
- The Gb in m. 18 beat 3 should be natural
- I think the half rest in m. 23 should be better above the staff instead of resting on the top line.
- You have 6 measures in the first system but only 3 at the end. How about bumping 2 measures down every system for more even spacing? (note: may need help adjusting the distribution if you're using Notepad)

Quote from: gu on March 15, 2023, 08:45:24 AMI implemented everything, except the Db and Eb on the chords in m7 and m8, as I personally couldn't hear them.
I'm quite certain I hear the latter two chords in m. 7 as this, specifically differing from the other instances of the melody - namely the Eb on beat 4 does not actually seem to be there:
You cannot view this attachment.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

gu

Hi Latios! thanks for the feedback :)
I modified Xiao's files (4th rev) with your updates, just didn't move the measures
I think the sheet looks better the way it currently is, since it matches the periods of the song better, starting and ending phrases in the first and last measures of the system.
One thing I noticed, is that the Copyright dates to 2014, which I imagine was just a typo (couldn't fix that on Notepad though)

XiaoMigros

Quote from: gu on March 29, 2023, 02:20:34 PMOne thing I noticed, is that the Copyright dates to 2014, which I imagine was just a typo (couldn't fix that on Notepad though)
Got that fixed for you, files are updated!

Latios212

Quote from: gu on March 29, 2023, 02:20:34 PMI think the sheet looks better the way it currently is, since it matches the periods of the song better, starting and ending phrases in the first and last measures of the system.
Alrighty then, sounds good!

And thanks Xiao for the file updates, accepting now :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta