News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[N64] GoldenEye 007 - "Aztec Complex" (Replacement) by Kricketune54

Started by Zeta, March 18, 2023, 09:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on August 16, 2023, 05:33:03 AM-1-6: Every third iteration of the fade-out marimba part in the L.H. is only barely hearable in the original: do you think it's still worth including them in the sheet? They do still fill up some empty space, so that works.
Well it wasn't really my idea to originally include it but I'd like to given it takes space and does provide a good reference point for the decresc.
Quote-m2, 4, 6: I don't particularly like the marimba and pizzicato bass part at the same time (smaller intervals in a low register). Maybe you can have just the pizzocato bass part and override the marimba? I hear the D in the L.H. on beat 4.5 an octave lower, in that case. You could choose to override the marimba in m1 as well then.
Yeah I haven't been a fan of how to balance this from when I first started arranging this, but I suppose this is the best way for m2-4-6. I think I'll keep the m1 one though because I feel like that's too much of that marimba rhythm missing at that point.
Quote-m18 and 42: I don't hear the melody anymore on beat 3.
Still hearing it, it's kind of covered up by the guitar strums that I wrote out in m10.
Quote-m16, 18 and 20 (and 40, 42 and 44): If you want, you can add some chord tones on beat 2 and have the player roll the chord, to keep the flamenco-like guitar part.
Like this, added
Quote-m24 (and 48): Maybe you could add an Eb on beat 1 in the R.H.: the chord change is pretty noticeable in the original, but in the arrangement it only happens at beat 2.5
I think you meant 23 and 47? That's where I've added an Eb because it doesn't seem to make sense where you are talking about
Quote-m25 and 29: I think the 32nd notes at beat 4.75 may work better as grace notes.
'graced, I kept them in those measures
Quote-m27 and 31: Maybe you can change the low Eb on beat 2.5 to an F? It helps keeping the bar sound like Fm, instead of switching to another chord
Good change.
Quote-m40-47: Similarly to m1-6, I don't really like how the two voices in the L.H. interact. I'd suggest something like this:
You cannot view this attachment.
Like this, have included
QuoteAlso, in m47, the new voice in the L.H. stays on a D instead of going Eb-D.
Didn't quite get this at first but messages over Discord led to fix.
Quote-m48-55: Maybe you can move the middle voice in the L.H. up an octave and put it in the R.H. instead? It empties out the L.H. a bit and makes the arrangement feel a bit lighter.
Yeah this section always felt quite crunchy- seems like this is the best way to lighten it
Quote-m50-51 and 54-55: Chord time! The chords in these measures are either F# major and D# minor, or Gb major and Eb minor. The enharmonic spelling is currently changing between both though. I'll make it an enharmonic spelling exercise to have you decide on what the correct spelling should be, but feel free to ping me on discord if you're not sure ^^
I think this was pretty obvious with the hints lol but fixed.
Quote-m55: There's a timpani hit on beat 4 in this bar, maybe you can add it in in some way?
Added to 2nd layer as Gb (given Eb minor ->G minor movement)
Quote-m64-67: Because of the lower octave being added to the R.H., there are some places where the R.H and L.H. play the same note. Maybe you could add parentheses to the L.H. notes when this happens?
Added parentheses in m64,66,67
Quote-The D.S. at the end is a bit high up
Lowered this a bit.

Quote-Page 4 is just repeated material of before, make sure to fix the same things here as well ^^
This should be good as well, thanks for the extensive review!

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 16, 2023, 07:05:37 PMStill hearing it, it's kind of covered up by the guitar strums that I wrote out in m10.
Ah yeah I do hear it still, though it may be the attack of the guitar that makes it seem like the vibraphone plays again: it could also be just a little volume swell that happens in that voice. I can go with this too though ^^

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 16, 2023, 07:05:37 PMLike this, added
I meant on beat 2 instead of beat 1 :p The flamenco triplet isn't before beat 1

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 16, 2023, 07:05:37 PMLike this, added
I think you meant 23 and 47? That's where I've added an Eb because it doesn't seem to make sense where you are talking about[/quote]
Ah yup, sorry bout that!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 16, 2023, 07:05:37 PM'graced, I kept them in those measures
Grace notes that are 2 or more notes long should usually be written as 16ths instead of 8ths

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 16, 2023, 07:05:37 PMLike this, have included
I'd suggest moving the D's in m43 beat 3.5 and 4.5 up an octave, that's where they were before and it plays a lot easier as well.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 16, 2023, 07:05:37 PMDidn't quite get this at first but messages over Discord led to fix.
Did you mean to have an Eb on beat 1 in the L.H.? It's very crunchy against the low D.

In m2, 4 and 6, since the marimba voice isn't above the pizzicato bass anymore, you can put the pizzicato base in the first layer too, as well as placing and 8vb marking there (the D especially is quite low)

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on August 17, 2023, 10:57:56 AMI meant on beat 2 instead of beat 1 :p The flamenco triplet isn't before beat 1
Oh I understand now, glossed over the beat you specified and just assumed to put the chords on beat 1. Fixed
QuoteGrace notes that are 2 or more notes long should usually be written as 16ths instead of 8ths
Fixed
QuoteI'd suggest moving the D's in m43 beat 3.5 and 4.5 up an octave, that's where they were before and it plays a lot easier as well.
Moved these back (kind of forgot that...)
QuoteDid you mean to have an Eb on beat 1 in the L.H.? It's very crunchy against the low D.
Think this was a misunderstanding of our convo on Discord then. Fixed

QuoteIn m2, 4 and 6, since the marimba voice isn't above the pizzicato bass anymore, you can put the pizzicato base in the first layer too, as well as placing and 8vb marking there (the D especially is quite low)
Made this move of layers, also changed for m73, 75, and 77

Thanks!

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 04, 2023, 02:48:41 PMMade this move of layers, also changed for m73, 75, and 77
For this I meant having the whole pizzicato bass part in beat 3.5-4.5 in the first layer, like this:
You cannot view this attachment.

Kricketune54

Wow... I am really not why I locked onto the part about the D being low and then put only that in the top layer. Sorry, updated all those spots along with a couple minor visual updates to cresc. and decresc. placements

Bloop

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot