Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Celeste
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Summit (No More Running Mix)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: PlayfulPiano

PlayfulPiano

This is 19 pages long. I'm sorry in advance.
Best to break it up into sections for review/feedback, probably. The actual track is divided in 16 measure phrases (inc. repeats in the sheet), so going phrase by phrase is probably the best.

Original audio has more or less 4 separate layers: the lower ostinato, the higher ostinato at the half way point, the synth strings that alternate every two measures, and the melody that comes in with the higher ostinato.

Biggest concern probably comes with the rh ostinato in m95-m174. Not 100% sure if these notes are right, specifically if the first 16m phrase of them repeats afterwards.
The LH in the section is structured to keep with the same pattern even though the original has it constantly moving upwards. Figured that would both be better and clearer for the piano arrangement.
There might be a two hand conflict for m135-m142 as well, so advice on how to properly notate this would be really beneficial too.

Otherwise, it's just a lot of hand motions for 8 minutes and 37 seconds.

Kricketune54

Before I really get into this - want a little bit of clarity.

I know it says original soundtrack on the video, but I'm a little confused why this track is listed as a remix. Is Kuraine the actual composer, or is this a theme by Lena Raine remixed for special stages?  I've heard this track on YouTube before but never played Celeste/not that well versed in its music

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 10, 2023, 07:43:38 PMBefore I really get into this - want a little bit of clarity.

I know it says original soundtrack on the video, but I'm a little confused why this track is listed as a remix. Is Kuraine the actual composer, or is this a theme by Lena Raine remixed for special stages?  I've heard this track on YouTube before but never played Celeste/not that well versed in its music

Lena Raine is the composer, but she used her usertag "kuraine" as credit for this track.

This plays during the B side of the Summit chapter, in which every B side is a "remix" of the A side theme. Usually the composers of the remixers/B sides are not by Lena Raine, but this is the one case where it is (but credited as her alias not her name).

I wanted to match with proper credit as what is stated within the track.

Kricketune54

Sorry, didn't mean to go this long without responding, but here we are...

QuoteI wanted to match with proper credit as what is stated within the track.
Okay

• m19 actually think these decresc. and cresc. should be inverted but keep the piano in m21 as is. Maybe indicate only second time as well for m19-20.
• m71 and m73 upper LH layer fix beat 1.5 by flipping up? To be consistent with other instances of the rhythm
• m79-94 move the upper LH rests up a bit to avoid note head collisions

Notes
• not hearing m11-14 as is? Sound like what exists for 3-10 rhythm wise notes B-E-B. Beat 1.0 is should be empty as far as the ascending synth part goes, and the LH could continue the same as it is in previous measures
• m13-14 should be like m17-18 but C instead of B on beat 1.25 and similar
• m15 and similar I'm hearing the B-E rhythm in the LH continuous except for beat 2.75 and on last 8th rest (4.5-4.75)
   • m16 LH not hearing a B on 4.75 and m20 LH beat 4.75 not hearing an A
• m17-20 both hands the ascending figure is A-E-F#-B
• m27-30 RH beat 1.25 and similar this is C not B
• m47-50 G-B should be the 1.0-1.25 and similar rhythm, tho the G is also after the B again in this figure on beat 1.5 and similar
• m51-54 LH the rhythm is A-C not F#-A, and similarly to the above feedback the A repeats on beat 1.5 and similar
• m55-57 LH B on beat 1.5 and similar
• m59-62 the ascending figure between hands is A-E-F#-B, and 1.5 in left hand and similar is A
• So from m21-30, I'm not hearing the upper LH layer as you have it. It sounds like this part is eight notes
• m75-78 LH the B on beat 1.25 and similar should be C
• m95-124 what's the LH upper layer supposed to be? I'm not hearing these exact notes as one part
• m97 RH upper beat 2.5 is a B
• m97 also if you listen on beat 4 RH this is another 16th figure, unless this was an intentional simplification.
• m98 RH beat 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5 hearing F#'s, same at m102, m112 and m114
• m101 RH 1.5 and 2.0 F#, 2.5 B, same at m113
• m116 16th part sounds more like m96. In fact m115-118 both hands are in wrong key, so revisit this section.

Kricketune54

Bumping for arranger, are you still around to work on this?

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 04, 2023, 01:58:38 PMBumping for arranger, are you still around to work on this?
Hey, sorry for the lack of responses. This happened right at the end of college for me and since then I sort of been in a state where I've been trying to figure out what to do with arranging in general. Honestly I'm going to just stop this submission, and probably after finishing my memories of memories feedback I'll not be submitting anymore arrangements in the future.

I've come to realize that a lot of the feedback process, while good at improving arrangements and visibility and such, has added just a lot of stress and frustration in something that I've come to enjoy as a hobby. To the point where it gets somewhat demoralizing.

It's fully on my side though, mainly from me not realizing how much more work I would need to do, and in some cases how much of a project some arrangements become (e.g. this one here, I thought that after going through a lot of feedback before uploading that maybe it wouldn't be such a big process, but after the first batch of feedback I came to realize how much more work would be needed and I just kinda, froze).

So yeah, I'm locking this arrangement, and I'll try to finish up memories of memories in a properly soon timeframe.

Sorry.

Kricketune54

Hi Playful, no worries, just wanted to check up on the sub given time passed since last response. Best of luck with your arranging going forward!

9.12.23 Based on the above, archiving this submission