News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Cashwarrior1 "Too Hot to Handle" Project Sheets

Started by cashwarrior1, August 10, 2023, 10:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kricketune54

Withered Savannah

When I started my feedback, I began first with the LH/bottom staff, so hopefully this isn't too much to parse through.

RH
• m2 RH 4.0 hearing An
• m11 RH lower layer technically the pitches move up a little here, you could have an A one octave up and a C below it.
• m18 RH 1.5 Bn is Bb. Beat 4.0 is similar to m2 RH in that it's an A, I think.
• Additionally I don't hear the added pitches for m18 4.0-4.5 and m19 1.0-1.5
• m33 lower RH layer beats 3 and 4 these should be A and F
• m35 RH top layer 4.5 is F#
• m39 RH top layer 4.5 is Bn
• m42 RH 4.0 G# is also above E on this beat
• m54 RH top layer beat 1 dotted half and tied note is a C# not Bn
• m56 top layer beat 3 grace note, hearing 3 grace notes, F-F#-G
• m57 RH top 4.5 this note isn't tied, restruck beat 1.0 in 58
• m59-62 RH extra notes on bottom of each chord: Bn, Bb, A, Ab

I would just not, when I specify a beat and the note is already a tied note, I'm also saying the note it's tied to is the pitch I'm hearing for the "starting pitch".
LH
• Lower layer m5, m7, m21 and m23 LH 1.5 hearing a D (maybe make it same octave as the upper layer D?), and 3.5 hearing E, and beat 4 F
• m6 Lower layer LH 3.5 hearing E
• m8 LH 3.5 hearing E
• Lower layer m13 and m15 LH 3.5 hearing F
• Lower layer m14 LH 2.5-3.5 hearing this as an 8th tied to quarter, and F instead of G
• m16 LH 1.5 hearing as an E (lower than G on 2.0)
• Lower layer m22 LH 3.5 hearing E
• m24 and m29 LH 3.5 hearing E
• m30 LH 1.5 note holds till 3.5, G isn't till beat 4.
• m59-65 LH are these notes following the rhythms of the percussion specifically? If that is the case, I would give a relisten, I think each of the rhythms is off a little from the drum's actual rhythms.
• m66 LH 4.5 hearing En

QuoteI want the right hand to play the chords on beat 1 in m1, m7, m17, and m21 but I'm struggling to find a clean way to notate that. Right now it's just in the bottom staff and I labelled it vaguely,
Didn't look into this too much for now, but I think this might be best way currently. 3 staffs seems a bit clunky.

Additionally I think current way song is keyless till m43 makes sense

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 11, 2023, 08:29:15 PM• m11 RH lower layer technically the pitches move up a little here, you could have an A one octave up and a C below it.
I'm not gonna have the C restrike because it already plays in the melody and having the octave felt unecessary.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 11, 2023, 08:29:15 PM• Additionally I don't hear the added pitches for m18 4.0-4.5 and m19 1.0-1.5
So I relistened and didn't hear any different harmonies for b4-4.5, but I do hear the ones in m19 in the little bell instrument.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 11, 2023, 08:29:15 PM• m42 RH 4.0 G# is also above E on this beat
I didn't add that one to keep the string melody as the top note (also I think the contrast between that and the next part sounds cool).

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 11, 2023, 08:29:15 PM• m56 top layer beat 3 grace note, hearing 3 grace notes, F-F#-G
I'm assuming you meant 2 grace notes? Unless you're saying the G restrikes?

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 11, 2023, 08:29:15 PM• m57 RH top 4.5 this note isn't tied, restruck beat 1.0 in 58
So it does! :o

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 11, 2023, 08:29:15 PMLH
• Lower layer m5, m7, m21 and m23 LH 1.5 hearing a D (maybe make it same octave as the upper layer D?), and 3.5 hearing E, and beat 4 F
omg i was reading bass clef wrong and was like "why are the notes you're saying not matching" 💀 Also, I'm assuming you meant beat 2.5? I chose to have the D play down the octave to continue that motion.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 11, 2023, 08:29:15 PM• m59-65 LH are these notes following the rhythms of the percussion specifically? If that is the case, I would give a relisten, I think each of the rhythms is off a little from the drum's actual rhythms.
Yeah it was sort of a vague suggestion of the percussion. I didn't want to include any of the sixteenth notes because I think that'd get too busy, but I did try and match it a little closer.

Updated.

Latios212

Holehills

Sorry, forgot to follow up on this one earlier! Your changes look good. Just a final tiny thing, there shouldn't be a comma in the composer info since there's an & sign, and it could be lowered a bit to be closer to the arranger info. I've made that tiny adjustment and converted files, let me know if anything doesn't look right. Accepted!

You cannot view this attachment.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Withered Savannah

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on September 12, 2023, 02:27:05 PMomg i was reading bass clef wrong and was like "why are the notes you're saying not matching" 💀 Also, I'm assuming you meant beat 2.5? I chose to have the D play down the octave to continue that motion.
Yep 2.5.

QuoteYeah it was sort of a vague suggestion of the percussion. I didn't want to include any of the sixteenth notes because I think that'd get too busy, but I did try and match it a little closer.
yeah I figured it was that, just thought it could match up more with the actual rhythms. I'm good with the changes you made in that regard.

QuoteI'm assuming you meant 2 grace notes? Unless you're saying the G restrikes?
No I meant three grace notes, but to further clarify, I meant Gn. The half note is G#

• You could align the mp in m1 more to center over LH beat 1, but I suppose it's also fine to just line it up with the hand markings if that's desired.
• You could widen m36 system a little so it's 100% clear the staccatos are not on the top LH notes ever
• Just for clarification sake, I do hear an 8th note on 4.5 for most of the beat 4's for the m43-55 section (the measures like m43 or 44 with a quarter note on beat 4). Did you exclude those notes intentionally?
• m59-62 the cresc. and decresc. could go a little higher so they better line up with the dynamics, and also avoiding being so close at m62 LH 1.0

Getting nitpicky at the end there, haha, but I think that's all I've got. Nice job on this one

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 26, 2023, 08:30:39 AMNo I meant three grace notes, but to further clarify, I meant Gn. The half note is G#
Oop, so it is

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 26, 2023, 08:30:39 AM• Just for clarification sake, I do hear an 8th note on 4.5 for most of the beat 4's for the m43-55 section (the measures like m43 or 44 with a quarter note on beat 4). Did you exclude those notes intentionally?
So I did exclude those intentionally, but I think I could add in some of them.

Updated.

Kricketune54

Yep, looks/sounds good with those added notes, approving Withered Savannah

Latios212

Withered Savannah

Some musical stuff:
- I think the A section (and the last 4 bars leading back into the loop) would be better written with one flat. The few B naturals in m. 1-4 and 17-20 sound borrowed from D Lydian, and the Bb/C/F chords fit nicely into F major, which it resolves to a couple of times.
- I'd recommend replacing or supplementing the tempo change marks with an (eighth = eighth) marking. The tempo isn't changing, just the meter.
- Thoughts about writing in a chord or something for the left hand of m. 58 instead of octave doubling the melody? It feels a bit harmonically empty there

Notes:
- In the left hand, the D's at the beginning of m. 1 and 3 and the end of m. 8 sound like they should be an octave down. Similar for 17/19/24
- The melody on beat 4 of m. 2 sounds like a quarter rather than two eighths (in contrast to m. 18 where I do hear two eighths)
- I'm hearing the RH phrase in m. 17-18 as inverted upwards once
- The triplet bass in m. 36 beat 4 is a descending F-C-F figure, if you want to write that in instead of restriking the bass. (Don't have to, I think the bass strikes are fine)
- For beats 3-4 in m. 33 I'm hearing G7, not so much the A you have written in the second layer. Thoughts about swapping them out for a lower D?

Small visual things:
- Remove the comma from the composer info
- Move the rest down a bit in m. 23 (here and m. 19 you could just combine layers if you want to avoid the dotted half rests)
- You could spread out the systems on page 2 a bit more, you have some extra space at the bottom (compare to page 2)
- Rest could go back onto the staff at normal height in m. 58

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Latios212 on October 27, 2023, 11:51:28 AM- I think the A section (and the last 4 bars leading back into the loop) would be better written with one flat. The few B naturals in m. 1-4 and 17-20 sound borrowed from D Lydian, and the Bb/C/F chords fit nicely into F major, which it resolves to a couple of times.
So I just found out that if you change key and click keep pitches the same chromatically, you don't have to go back through and fix everything 🙃

Quote from: Latios212 on October 27, 2023, 11:51:28 AM- The melody on beat 4 of m. 2 sounds like a quarter rather than two eighths (in contrast to m. 18 where I do hear two eighths)
omg that's just the delay playing there 😭

Quote from: Latios212 on October 27, 2023, 11:51:28 AM- I'm hearing the RH phrase in m. 17-18 as inverted upwards once
To me that entire section sounds like it's voiced the same, so if I were to invert it there, I feel like I'd have to invert it for the rest of that part. I think I'd rather have the melody on top, though.

Quote from: Latios212 on October 27, 2023, 11:51:28 AM- You could spread out the systems on page 2 a bit more, you have some extra space at the bottom (compare to page 2)
I'm assuming you meant to spread out systems on page 3

Updated.

Latios212

Sweet! Just a quick few follow-ups before I accept:
- The augmentation dot in m. 33 beat 3 is displaced since the second layer messed it up before

Quote from: Latios212 on October 27, 2023, 11:51:28 AM- I'm hearing the RH phrase in m. 17-18 as inverted upwards once
Quote from: cashwarrior1 on October 28, 2023, 09:38:58 AMTo me that entire section sounds like it's voiced the same, so if I were to invert it there, I feel like I'd have to invert it for the rest of that part. I think I'd rather have the melody on top, though.
I personally am used to hearing it differently, but that's fair!

Quote from: Latios212 on October 27, 2023, 11:51:28 AM- Thoughts about writing in a chord or something for the left hand of m. 58 instead of octave doubling the melody? It feels a bit harmonically empty there
Keeping this as is?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Latios212 on October 28, 2023, 01:05:54 PM
Quote from: Latios212 on October 27, 2023, 11:51:28 AM- Thoughts about writing in a chord or something for the left hand of m. 58 instead of octave doubling the melody? It feels a bit harmonically empty there
Keeping this as is?
Oh, I changed that to arpeggiating the F# minor chord

Updated.

Latios212

Ah, got it! Looks good then!

Small thing - spacing is off in the system around m. 29. I'll still move this to accepted and make sure that gest handled on file conversion.

You cannot view this attachment.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle