News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Francesca's "Too Hot to Handle" Project Sheet

Started by Francesca, August 11, 2023, 10:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kricketune54

Just a couple more things  :)

Forgot to mention m14 also has a staccato that I didn't quite hear! beat 4.0 in the RH, you could also remove the slur just like in the other places.

For the glisses at m9 and m13, you could make a slight visual adjustment so the gliss isn't going through the natural symbol. See m9 for example fixed
Spoiler
[close]

Francesca

QuoteForgot to mention m14 also has a staccato that I didn't quite hear! beat 4.0 in the RH, you could also remove the slur just like in the other places
For the glisses at m9 and m13, you could make a slight visual adjustment so the gliss isn't going through the natural symbol. See m9 for example fixed
Okay, updated.

Francesca

Me and Kricketune discussed more changes to this sheet on Discord: The bass part has been lowered an octave and slightly modified to give space for the brass part to be in its original octave.
Additionally, the performance note stating to play the percussion notes on a surface has been removed because we thought it would be better for the performer to just stomp their feet for the percussion, as is done more typically

Kricketune54

XiaoMigros

Hi! Nice work on this, and sorry for the wait..
  • The Finale sound generally makes low range chords sound muddier than on a real piano, but if you have the opportunity to try out the arrangement and see what chord density works best I'd recommend you do some experimenting. Playing 3 or 4 low notes in such close proximity often makes a more 'muddy' sound than might be wanted. Below an example of m3 (side perk: it's easier to play too)
    You cannot view this attachment.
  • Latios already showed you how to use the beam break tool on another of your submissions; the same applies for the triplets here
  • m16-22: I think you could keep more of the organ playing here rather than having only the brass. Especially in the pauses I think it would be nice to add some of the organ back in, even if it's only for 1 or 2 notes at a time. I'm also not sure that octaves are needed for the brass, I'm not hearing any.
  • The 8vb marking in m24 should only be under the last note
  • I personally try to avoid using percussive sounds where it's suited, as it's somewhat unusual to do so and there are often more elegant means available. Have you tried using low Cs in different octaves for the stomps? Below m1, for example (the clashes with the RH would need fixing, alternatively you can just have this pattern an octave lower)
  • As you can see in the screenshot, the opening dynamic could be centered more nicely :)

Francesca

QuoteHi! Nice work on this, and sorry for the wait
No worries, the files have been updated.

QuoteThe Finale sound generally makes low range chords sound muddier than on a real piano, but if you have the opportunity to try out the arrangement and see what chord density works best I'd recommend you do some experimenting. Playing 3 or 4 low notes in such close proximity often makes a more 'muddy' sound than might be wanted. Below an example of m3 (side perk: it's easier to play too)
I did what I could, but there are a few notes such as the Bb of measure 3 that if removed would make the chords unrecognizable.

QuoteLatios already showed you how to use the beam break tool on another of your submissions; the same applies for the triplets here
The triplets have been fixed.

Quotem16-22: I think you could keep more of the organ playing here rather than having only the brass. Especially in the pauses I think it would be nice to add some of the organ back in, even if it's only for 1 or 2 notes at a time. I'm also not sure that octaves are needed for the brass, I'm not hearing any
I tried to implement the organ part, let me know what you think.

QuoteThe 8vb marking in m24 should only be under the last note
I personally try to avoid using percussive sounds where it's suited, as it's somewhat unusual to do so and there are often more elegant means available. Have you tried using low Cs in different octaves for the stomps? Below m1, for example (the clashes with the RH would need fixing, alternatively you can just have this pattern an octave lower)
These have been fixed. I turned the stomping parts into a pattern of low C's and G's.

QuoteAs you can see in the screenshot, the opening dynamic could be centered more nicely
This has been fixed also. Thank you!

XiaoMigros

I don't think I'm seeing any changes to the file, did you reupload it?

Francesca

QuoteI don't think I'm seeing any changes to the file, did you reupload it?I don't think I'm seeing any changes to the file, did you reupload it?
I reuploaded the file, can you check again?

XiaoMigros

Is working now :)
Quote from: Francesca on October 22, 2023, 03:43:30 AMI did what I could, but there are a few notes such as the Bb of measure 3 that if removed would make the chords unrecognizable.
Here would be my suggestion:
Notice how I try to keep the defining chord characteristics (3rd, 7th) and at least one of root or 5th. (If you'd like me to tell you which notes that means here, let me know). Like this you lose the muddiness that low chords have in this range, but overall gives a relatively similar sound.
Let me know if you're comfortable with that pattern! If not, I think it's best to leave all the original notes in, rather than omitting them only for that Ab chord.

Quote from: Francesca on October 22, 2023, 03:43:30 AMI tried to implement the organ part, let me know what you think.
What you have looks pretty playable, good job! I think the presentation could use some work though:
I'd recommend using one layer for the entire organ, and one for the brass, and to keep the stems in the same direction per measure. You may need to adjust the positioning of the notes using 'Special Tools/Note Position Tool' to merge the noteheads of matching pitches, or to offset the first beat in the screenshot.

• System spacing: You have 5 systems on the first page and 3 on the second, would 4 and 4 perhaps work more nicely? Don't be afraid to fill until the bottom of page 2 as well

Francesca

Great!

QuoteNotice how I try to keep the defining chord characteristics (3rd, 7th) and at least one of root or 5th. (If you'd like me to tell you which notes that means here, let me know). Like this you lose the muddiness that low chords have in this range, but overall gives a relatively similar sound.
Let me know if you're comfortable with that pattern! If not, I think it's best to leave all the original notes in, rather than omitting them only for that Ab chord
That works.

QuoteWhat you have looks pretty playable, good job! I think the presentation could use some work though
I have done so and updated the files.

Thank you!

XiaoMigros

• I'd recommend changing the LH in m6 and similar to match m4
  • The stems in the last 16ths of RH m17 and m21 should be pointing downwards
    Here you can also use the staff tool to slightly increase the distance between the staves, some slurs are almost colliding with the beams in the LH
Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 29, 2023, 05:00:32 PM
  • System spacing: You have 5 systems on the first page and 3 on the second, would 4 and 4 perhaps work more nicely? Don't be afraid to fill until the bottom of page 2 as well
Did you forget to implement this suggestion, or do you have a different opinion?

Everything else looks great! Super close to accepting

Francesca

QuoteI'd recommend changing the LH in m6 and similar to match m4
Does just G and E work, then?

QuoteThe stems in the last 16ths of RH m17 and m21 should be pointing downwards
Here you can also use the staff tool to slightly increase the distance between the staves, some slurs are almost colliding with the beams in the LH
These have been fixed- I changed the distance of the staves in the first two systems of page 2.

I'd say the pages are fine as is. Since some space already had to be made on the second page, that also makes up for that extra bit of space lost.

Thank you!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Francesca on November 02, 2023, 12:42:55 AMI'd say the pages are fine as is. Since some space already had to be made on the second page, that also makes up for that extra bit of space lost.
That's fair! I tend to try to distribute them equally, or even have less on the first page, since title/subtitle/etc takes up quite a lot of space. What you have rn is fine too of course^^

Anyways, happy to accept this sheet now! Thanks for your contribution, and for your understanding regarding the previously submitted sheet :)