News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Fantastic Ike's "Too Hot to Handle" Project Sheet(s)

Started by Fantastic Ike, August 12, 2023, 10:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantastic Ike

Mario Kart: Super Circuit [GBA]

Bowser CastleMUSMIDIPDFOriginal
Yoshi DesertMUSMIDIPDFOriginal

The bassline is super crazy so I tried to make it as playable as I could. Desert tracks absolutely slap though

And moving over a track from submissions, main deal here will be balancing different sections at once. As sick as this track is, it sounds a bit muddy on piano if directly transposed.

Bloop

Bowser Castle
I actually arranged this tune before too as part of Xiao's and my Mario Kart Wii arrangement project, but I'll try not to bias my own arrangement choices too much ^^

-m1:
   -The L.H. G's should be G#'s
   -The L.H. here is pretty hard to play at speed as normal tremolos: I think just keeping them as alternating between low and high notes works a little bit better (instead of high and low from beat 3 on). If you do this though, the L.H. note on beat 4.75 will be the same as the R.H., so you can parenthesize or delete that one.
   -Not sure if you really need the staccatos either, as it probably won't be possible to play them much longer or shorter than normal anyway.
   -In the R.H., you could maybe but the bass clef at beat 4 instead of just before m2, so the jump to m2 doesn't look too weird.
-m3 and 11: I hear the bass at beat 3 go G-A-A#-B
-m13: I hear an An instead of an A# in the L.H. on beat 3.5
-m15: The bass goes G-A-A#-B here too at beat 1, instead of just A#-B
-m18-25: When I arranged this part I had a similar L.H., but I really disliked how it sounded (probably the muddy thing you mentioned as well). A solution I came up with was instead of having the L.H. be a strict 16th note rune, having it as an unmeasured tremolo on E with a pedal. It made it sound more ominous imo. Also, I don't think you necessarily need the bottom notes in the R.H. if you go with the pedal option, but they don't sound out of place either, so you can keep them as well, your choice ^^
-m34-44: I think for this section it's best for the L.H. to not have any two notes be the same if they are a 16th note apart: the tempo is just way too fast to play that at least somewhat comfortably. You could keep the rhythm but just alternate between notes. There are also some places where there's another 16th note on beat 4.75 btw
-m34-35 and 40: Maybe you could keep the synth lead part an octave lower in these measures as well, so the melodic counter is the same and so they aren't going above the melody?
-m37: I think there's only one long D in the R.H. on beat 1.5, not on beat 2 and 2.5

Fantastic Ike

QuoteThe L.H. G's should be G#'s
In the R.H., you could maybe but the bass clef at beat 4 instead of just before m2, so the jump to m2 doesn't look too weird.

Ah, had this in my Musescore file but not in Finale. RIP

Quotem15: The bass goes G-A-A#-B here too at beat 1, instead of just A#

I hear the "top" part of the LH as the same rhythm as before, would two layers work or be too distracting?

Quotem18-25: When I arranged this part I had a similar L.H., but I really disliked how it sounded (probably the muddy thing you mentioned as well). A solution I came up with was instead of having the L.H. be a strict 16th note rune, having it as an unmeasured tremolo on E with a pedal. It made it sound more ominous imo. Also, I don't think you necessarily need the bottom notes in the R.H. if you go with the pedal option, but they don't sound out of place either, so you can keep them as well, your choice ^^

I like the RH notes staying

Quotem34-44: I think for this section it's best for the L.H. to not have any two notes be the same if they are a 16th note apart: the tempo is just way too fast to play that at least somewhat comfortably. You could keep the rhythm but just alternate between notes. There are also some places where there's another 16th note on beat 4.75 btw

Came up with a pretty good fix via Discord. Trying to keep the power chords as much as I can because they sound awesome lol

Also took the liberty of adding a staccato on m37, everything else should be fixed.

Bloop

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on August 18, 2023, 01:10:55 PMI hear the "top" part of the LH as the same rhythm as before, would two layers work or be too distracting?
I think this is fine, it looks clear enough ^^

Only some small things left:
-m15: The bottom tie in beat 4.5 can be flipped downwards
-m27 and 29: The staccatos on beat 3 and 4 in the R.H. should be flipped to be on the notehead side
-m21: The bottom tie coming into beat 1 should be flipped downwards (you can only flip this one with the tie tool)

Aside from that it all looks good!

Fantastic Ike

Bloop

Nice, I'll approve!
You cannot view this attachment.

Fantastic Ike

Kricketune54

Yoshi Desert

This sheet is a bit cramped visually especially on page 1. I couldn't even initially tell the Ottava for the LH wasn't consistent across the entire arrangement; try a three measure per system set up. I think you'll have to go to three pages with maybe only two bars per system on last page, but this will look much better.

• The tonal center of this track is C, both in the bassline, and in the primary chords. As such, that is this song's key. Should have much of an accidental impact as far as corrections needed but will remove a lot of them.
   • m23 here though, LH 3-4 progression is chromatic G#-A-A#-Bn

• The "woo" in m3 approximates at an F as far as pitches, so maybe move it up to that note as opposed to Bn.
•m3 LH you could write beat 4 like this
Spoiler
[close]
• m5 RH 2.0 not hearing F - for these gameboy-esque pitches only two channels being used so no three note chords.
• m5 LH 4.0 Db not C# here
• also m5 RH 4.0-4.5 I hear a D then Ab, both eighth notes. Kinda sounds like the Yoshi Brah brah sound (go figure)
• m9, m12, m16 RH 2.5 En on bottom not F
• m11 RH 1.0 honestly not sure if this repeated pitch grace note is worth including - but just a reminder about slurs on grace notes :)
• m11 LH 4.0 sounds more like just a Bn than a grace note
• m13 RH 4.0 Bb instead of C
• m14 LH 1.0 this should be F not A
• m15 LH 3.0 chord is more F major, so C instead of Bb. For 4.0 I think remove top two notes will be more faithful to original.
• m17 could connect beat 1.0 to 1.75 both staffs
• m18 beat 4 first triplet the middle note is C not Ab
• m20 LH 3.0 Fn not C
• m21 LH 3.25 is G, 3.5 Ab, and 4.5 Ab.
• m21 RH the quarter notes with tenutos sound more like dotted quarters so could just write them like that with no tenuto
• m22 RH tug the slur down slightly so it's not touching lower RH layer 4.0's stem
m24 more hearing this for start of RH:
Spoiler
[close]
I'm not sure the top layer is necessary as the lower layer seems more prominent at least in first part of measure.
• m25 RH 1.75 flip the tie on 1.75 tie

Fantastic Ike

QuoteThis sheet is a bit cramped visually especially on page 1. I couldn't even initially tell the Ottava for the LH wasn't consistent across the entire arrangement; try a three measure per system set up. I think you'll have to go to three pages with maybe only two bars per system on last page, but this will look much better.

Think it looks better now.

Quote• The "woo" in m3 approximates at an F as far as pitches, so maybe move it up to that note as opposed to Bn.

Didn't know notes like this necessarily had to be on the right staffline but will do.

Quote• m5 RH 2.0 not hearing F - for these gameboy-esque pitches only two channels being used so no three note chords.

I'll take your word on this. Although the original chord sounded crunchier than just the Eb and Bb.

Quote• also m5 RH 4.0-4.5 I hear a D then Ab, both eighth notes. Kinda sounds like the Yoshi Brah brah sound (go figure)

I left that out because it sounded outside twelve-tone temperament like the original "woo." Should I just make it a cross head?

Quote• m11 RH 1.0 honestly not sure if this repeated pitch grace note is worth including - but just a reminder about slurs on grace notes :)

I personally like it there, but if needed will delete later

Quote• m11 LH 4.0 sounds more like just a Bn than a grace note

Instead of the gliss?

Quotem15 LH 3.0 chord is more F major, so C instead of Bb. For 4.0 I think remove top two notes will be more faithful to original.

That including the run in the second layer? It sounds a bit off imo but I can change.

I think that's everything.

Kricketune54

Notes
• m1 LH 2.5 every instance of this note/the current G-Bb-G, it's an An not Bb. This is in a lot of places
• m4 RH listening again hearing the D 8th note on beat 3.5, so the half note should become a quarter tied to an 8th followed by this D
QuoteI left that out because it sounded outside twelve-tone temperament like the original "woo." Should I just make it a cross head?
I think this is in the 12 tones enough to justify as notes
• m10 LH 4.0 I don't think you need a gliss here - this is just a Bn (same octave as the Bb on 3.0). So yes instead of gliss
• m10 RH 1.25 hearing B as Cn.
• m14 RH 1.5 to 2.5 hearing lower pitches differently:
Spoiler
[close]
on a whole this is a bit hard to play, so maybe you could remove the Bb on 1.75 and 2.5?
• m16 RH 4.0 hearing as Ab's
• m23 I'm actually reconsidering how i told you this measure - sorry if this is just what you had previously:
Spoiler
[close]
• m24 RH hearing the following:
Spoiler
[close]
• m25 RH second layer hearing an F on beat 1.0
• m25 LH 3.25 I hear as an F (octave lower than F on 3.0) and 3.75 is tied to 4.0.
• m26 LH 4.5 hearing as Ab
• m29 RH this will better represent the note movements of the high flute and the "gameboy sounds", prioritizing the flute part. The Flute descends from Ab to F, and the GB sounds technically go from F and C up to Ab and F.
Spoiler
[close]
• m29 LH 4.0 hearing this as a Gb
• m30 LH 3.5 hearing Bb. You could also add a gliss to 4.0 to be consistent
• m30-31 this is what I'm hearing in the RH:
Spoiler
[close]
. Note for m31 beat 3.5 LH could also add a staccato
• m31 LH 2.5 hearing Bb, and 2.75 as Dn, and 3.5 as Bb
• m33 LH 3.5 this Ab should be An.

Format
• m24 and m27 systems the 8va of the system above it is too close, maybe move m24's system a little higher and then m27 down a bit so no stems or elements are getting overlapped by the 8vas. You could also lower the 8va a little at m30

QuoteDidn't know notes like this necessarily had to be on the right staff line but will do
Honestly it's not always typical but I think this pitch is somewhat easy to place. You could even make it a note if you want and just have the Woo! text in addition, though that might be confusing so could just leave as is if you want.

QuoteI personally like it there, but if needed will delete later
Relistened, I think good to keep this

Fantastic Ike

Quote• m4 RH listening again hearing the D 8th note on beat 3.5, so the half note should become a quarter tied to an 8th followed by this D
I think this is in the 12 tones enough to justify as notes

Updated this part over Discord

Quote• m10 LH 4.0 I don't think you need a gliss here - this is just a Bn (same octave as the Bb on 3.0). So yes instead of gliss

Shifted over the 8va as a result. (Also made all the 8vas 8vb)

Quoteon a whole this is a bit hard to play, so maybe you could remove the Bb on 1.75 and 2.5?

Removed, doesn't sound too bare without

Quote• m23 I'm actually reconsidering how i told you this measure - sorry if this is just what you had previously:

Think so, but no worries!

Quote• m33 LH 3.5 this Ab should be An.

Did you mean Bb?

Quote• m24 and m27 systems the 8va of the system above it is too close, maybe move m24's system a little higher and then m27 down a bit so no stems or elements are getting overlapped by the 8vas. You could also lower the 8va a little at m30

Done. Also m21 system 8va was bumping against triplets in m24 system so fixed that too.

QuoteHonestly it's not always typical but I think this pitch is somewhat easy to place. You could even make it a note if you want and just have the Woo! text in addition, though that might be confusing so could just leave as is if you want.

Would prefer it in the cross head.

QuoteRelistened, I think good to keep this

Cool, I liked that.

Also playback is fine, but not sure how to signify the flat for the trill/mordent on m6. Since it's not in the natural key it does need to be added right?

Updated.

Kricketune54

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on September 12, 2023, 08:29:31 AMShifted over the 8va as a result. (Also made all the 8vas 8vb)
Unless I am mistaken, 8va is preferred symbology even when applying to lower staff/bass clef. So I believe this was good to keep as is

QuoteDid you mean Bb?
Oh I actually meant to say beat 2.5 not 3.5, but you corrected it anyway so all good.

QuoteAlso playback is fine, but not sure how to signify the flat for the trill/mordent on m6. Since it's not in the natural key it does need to be added right?
Will want to us the Tr symbol with the flat symbol above it, as normally the trill would be implied to be between Gn and An (neighboring notes within the key signature)

Final bits:
• m4 RH 4.0 thinking this looks a little better as Cb and Ab, fits with the overall accidental direction of the measure.
• m13 RH beat 1.5 maybe you could remove or parentheses the C, as it is pretty hard to make the jump from the first beat to the 16th's. Same for m14 beat 3.5, the Dn.
• m14 RH 2.0 the Cb works slightly better as a Bn (no need for Cn accidental on beat 3.0)
• m14 RH 3.5-end of measure, G on top should be F, and A's are actually G's
• m27 LH 4.5 hearing Ab not C
• m27 RH 4.5 and 4.75 hearing F and then Ab
• m28 RH chord is G on top, E in middle, G on bottom (top G is half step down from the Ab in m27 4.5)
Spoiler
[close]
• m29 LH sounds like the Db is held out to beat 4, so you could write the half note as a dotted half note
• m31 LH 3.25 and 3.5 hearing Bb and then Fn

Fantastic Ike

QuoteUnless I am mistaken, 8va is preferred symbology even when applying to lower staff/bass clef. So I believe this was good to keep as is

I think we've been over this. I've submitted sheets before with 8vb (which I prefer the look of) so trying to keep it consistent. Usually the updater after you clears for the 8vb

QuoteOh I actually meant to say beat 2.5 not 3.5, but you corrected it anyway so all good.

No worries, I figured.

QuoteWill want to us the Tr symbol with the flat symbol above it, as normally the trill would be implied to be between Gn and An (neighboring notes within the key signature)

Yeah, I switched to trill. I think mordent technically works better, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to add that flat.

Quotem13 RH beat 1.5 maybe you could remove or parentheses the C, as it is pretty hard to make the jump from the first beat to the 16th's. Same for m14 beat 3.5, the Dn.

Went with parentheses

Quotem27 LH 4.5 hearing Ab not C

Did you mean 4.75...?

Quotem28 RH chord is G on top, E in middle, G on bottom (top G is half step down from the Ab in m27 4.5)

You mean a C? That's in your mockup, and was in my score before

That should be everything! Updated.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 25, 2023, 06:54:44 PMUnless I am mistaken, 8va is preferred symbology even when applying to lower staff/bass clef. So I believe this was good to keep as is

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on September 26, 2023, 06:32:43 AMI think we've been over this. I've submitted sheets before with 8vb (which I prefer the look of) so trying to keep it consistent. Usually the updater after you clears for the 8vb

Either is fine. Some prefer 8va, to keep a uniform symbol for all markings, some prefer 8vb, to differentiate between markings.

Fantastic Ike

QuoteEither is fine. Some prefer 8va, to keep a uniform symbol for all markings, some prefer 8vb, to differentiate between markings.

Yes, I prefer the latter.