Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Sky Islands
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Cashwarrior1

cashwarrior1

There's a lot of soft high notes in this and I wanted to try and capture them as much as I can to convey the space of the piece. Because of the nature of the composition, it is a little hard to make the melody clear in notation.
At m10 there's a really dissonant note playing and I was having trouble deciding if I liked it or not (as well as what exactly are the notes) so I'd like input there

Latios212

Ooh nice one! Not checking the whole sheet at the moment, but peeking at:
Quote from: cashwarrior1 on September 28, 2023, 11:10:20 AMAt m10 there's a really dissonant note playing and I was having trouble deciding if I liked it or not (as well as what exactly are the notes) so I'd like input there

I'm not entirely sure if I know what you're talking about but it sounds like there might be something like a Dn, or maybe closer to a Db. I don't think that would sound good on piano but while I'm here you could make the dissonance of the Dbmaj7 a bit more prominent by adding a C to the left hand on beat 1 a major seventh above the Db. There's also an Ab above the F you could write in as well.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Latios212 on October 01, 2023, 03:12:32 PMI'm not entirely sure if I know what you're talking about but it sounds like there might be something like a Dn, or maybe closer to a Db. I don't think that would sound good on piano but while I'm here you could make the dissonance of the DBmaj7 a bit more prominent by adding a C to the left hand on beat 1 a major seventh above the Db. There's also an Ab above the F you could write in as well.
Yeah that's the one. I wasn't able to tell if that was a note being played or if it was just some kind of auditory illusion, but it does sound better without it.

Updated.

XiaoMigros

• Your BPM marking is using the engraver font for the notehead, newly we'd like the Maestro set of fonts to be used instead. You can change the font to Maestro Times, the alt code for the quarter note is 0140 (or Œ) and we recommend font size 16.
  • the con pedale text is a little too close to the bottom notes, mind moving it down a little?
  • I'm not super keen on including the high strings, as they're very quiet in the original and they seem to fall behind in the second half of the sheet. However, I assume you want to keep them (and that's why they're there), but maybe they would be better all in a separate layer than the saxophones?
  • The F in the LH of m7 sounds tied to me
  • I understand what you're going for with the fermatas and various note endings, but I think that what's currently written is complicated when it doesn't need to be. Do you think open ties and fermatas on rests would do the job, removing the caesuras and half notes?
Notes look good after the first few listenthroughs but I'll check again once the strings and fermata points are addressed.

Also, thoughts on including the low altitude version?

cashwarrior1

Sorry it took me so long! This month was quite busy and stressful 😅

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 02, 2023, 01:16:52 PMAlso, thoughts on including the low altitude version?
I went ahead and added the low altitude version

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 02, 2023, 01:16:52 PM
  • I'm not super keen on including the high strings, as they're very quiet in the original and they seem to fall behind in the second half of the sheet. However, I assume you want to keep them (and that's why they're there), but maybe they would be better all in a separate layer than the saxophones?
I originally arranged it without the high strings but it felt very empty, so I added them. And I only put the saxes in a separate layer because layer 2's stem naturally points down :p (but I don't really see a difference with changing their layers). I've tried including the high strings in the later parts but I found it to be too dynamically dense on the piano, so I excluded them to make it softer.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 02, 2023, 01:16:52 PM
  • The F in the LH of m7 sounds tied to me
It is, but there's another instrument that plays that note (it harmonizes with the melody)

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 02, 2023, 01:16:52 PMAlso, thoughts on including the low altitude version?
When including different versions, do I need to put another title for that page? I just changed the small title that shows up on every page to say low altitude, but is there another way I should communicate that? Also, should I just have both sections repeat, or repeat the whole sheet (I kinda wanna repeat the whole sheet because I think it'd make more sense musically but I'm not sure)

Updated.[/list][/list]

XiaoMigros

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on October 28, 2023, 09:13:17 AMI went ahead and added the low altitude version
Shoot I'm really sorry I meant low gravity:
Do you fancy including that too? 3-way sheet yay

m4: Do you want to lower the LH Bb by an octave? I'm missing that deep effect from the original rn.

Low Altitude
This sheet will need its own title, and the measure numbers should start over.
  • Octave clefs aren't used in piano sheet music, instead 8vas should be used.
  • The accents on the Fb chord feel a little out of place, I don't hear a noticeable emphasis on them.

Whenever you use fermatas, all staves & layers need fermatas too (in this case the LH).
Notes all look good though, you've captured that full feel of the originals really nicely!

cashwarrior1

Sorry for the delay! I added the Low Gravity version and made the changes mentioned above.

XiaoMigros

These all look really good!

I hear the notes as you have them, except I don't think I hear the C in the RH m19 of Low Altitude.

As for the engraving, I have a few minor comments:
  • When using 3 or more layers, some stems will inevitably point in the same direction. This is fine, but the chords should be horizontally offset from each other so the stems don't overlap.
  • In general for low gravity I think spreading this across 5 systems or more would be best, as the space is quite cramped at the moment. Your call though
    Also, I understand what you were going for with shortening the stems of the high Fs like in m7 of low gravity, but to me it looks a little off. If you spread this sheet wider then you won't need the shortening, but if not then maybe another updater can offer some insight
  • For the tuplet beaming, I think it's important to show the quarter beats in how they are beamed: In m16 and m20, the tuplet beams and regular 16th beams should be joined together (but only by one beam, not two).
  • In m1 of low altitude, you have a repeat barline, but not in m1 of low gravity. I'd recommend not using any but whatever you choose it should be consistent

cashwarrior1

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 04, 2024, 06:22:16 AMI hear the notes as you have them, except I don't think I hear the C in the RH m19 of Low Altitude.
That one is there more to make it feel more full, but I did listen again and I do hear a C (and a G) above the G the sax plays. I moved the C an octave higher instead.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 04, 2024, 06:22:16 AM
  • In general for low gravity I think spreading this across 5 systems or more would be best, as the space is quite cramped at the moment. Your call though
    Also, I understand what you were going for with shortening the stems of the high Fs like in m7 of low gravity, but to me it looks a little off. If you spread this sheet wider then you won't need the shortening, but if not then maybe another updater can offer some insight
So I was struggling to find out how to spread this one out, since I wanted to keep it all on one page. I figured that since there's the measures with fermatas, I could probably just make those really small to allow for more space. I've left it as is more-so because moving things would mean I have to re-adjust the notes and ties and everything for each measure again 🙃.
Also, the short stem was Finale's choice (probably because it's written in the LH) so I just made them longer.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 04, 2024, 06:22:16 AM
  • In m1 of low altitude, you have a repeat barline, but not in m1 of low gravity. I'd recommend not using any but whatever you choose it should be consistent
True, repeats are kinda useless here.

Updated.

XiaoMigros

All of these decisions sound good to me! Fixing the stem overlapping already makes everything look less cramped so leaving the spacing is fine in my books. Happy to approve this!