[GB] Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge - "New Messiah (Crystal Castle)" by Atcero

Started by Zeta, October 22, 2023, 04:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Castlevania
Game: Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
Console: Game Boy
Title: New Messiah (Crystal Castle)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Atcero

Atcero

Wooo new CV in time for spooky season

A few things:
I opted to do arpeggios instead of the straight driving 16th note bass cause who wants to play that.
I am unsure of the tempo markings that may be needed for the shift from 4/4, to 7/8, back to 4/4.
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Kricketune54

This composer's name reads funny. Hide hero, fun owchi.

So for m19 you could make a note that of the tempo, but also include the 8th note value (ex. 8th note = 260). You could do something similar to what Cashwarrior did for Plok - Beach. At m27, I don't think it'd hurt to add the q = 130 just as an extra aid.

Only other thing I have a comment on is the tempo mark is bit of a weird font compared to the current one on the template, so that could be fixed. Nice job on this one!

Atcero

Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

XiaoMigros

• m2 beat 1.5 % 2.25 LH are fairly large jumps at a high tempo, maybe you could do D-B-G-D-A-G, with the Gs an octave higher than they are currently?
  • m14 beat 1 RH: I hear a grace note D before the C#, and no mordent.
  • m19 & similar LH: To keep the LH comfortably playable, you could move the note at beat 1.5 (second note) up an octave
  • m26: The LH note at beat 2.5 should be written as A#, as part of an F# chord
  • m30 beat 3.25: The F natural can be written as E#
  • Your tempo notes are using the old Engraver font, mind changing them to MaestroTimes (font size 16)? The character for the quarter note is Œ, and for the eighth note .
  • My take on the tempo marking would be to add <8th note = 8th note (e=260)> at m19, and nothing besides the regular q=130 marking at m1. Maybe @Kricketune54 sees things differently though
    I'm also not seeing a marking at m27 yet, I would recommend <8th note = 8th note (q=130)>.
That's all I have to say, nice work!

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on December 11, 2023, 04:17:35 AM
  • My take on the tempo marking would be to add <8th note = 8th note (e=260)> at m19, and nothing besides the regular q=130 marking at m1. Maybe @Kricketune54 sees things differently though
    I'm also not seeing a marking at m27 yet, I would recommend <8th note = 8th note (q=130)>.
Yep this makes sense to me, no need to have the 8th note tempo at m1!

Atcero

Spoiler
[close]

XiaoMigros

Thanks as well! A few more comments:
  • m2 beat 2 LH should be an A
  • m14: Can you click in this measure with the note entry tool? Seems Finale forgot about the grace note's spacing.
    Also, we recommend adding slurs from grace notes to their parent note, but if you'd rather not that's okay too.
  • m19-26: For the 7/8 time signature it's customary to use beams in groups of 2 or 3 eighth notes. Here I think 3-2-2 would make the most sense. This beaming should affect 16th notes too.

Atcero

Spoiler
[close]

Zeta