Submission Information:

Series: Dragon Quest
Game: Dragon Quest
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Fight
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

LeviR.star

This here's the other of the last two sheets to finish off the original Dragon Quest.

Theory-wise, this arrangement is truly my own personal hell. I don't know for sure if this is F minor or keyless, or if I'm missing a bunch of courtesy accidentals, and I'm certainly not about to give myself an aneurysm overthinking how to spell all these diminished arpeggios. But I am confident in nearly everything else, so I suppose that's a step in the right direction.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Kricketune54

I think you are correct to go with F minor here. Looking at this in keyless I think it ends up working out slightly worse. Pitchwise I agree with what's here

Did count this at half note = 120 though. Not a big deal but 120 is more common than 123

LeviR.star

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 02, 2024, 06:35:58 PMDid count this at half note = 120 though. Not a big deal but 120 is more common than 123

Ah, that must be a holdover from the 2019 draft. Fixed that, files are updated.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Kricketune54

Bloop

Looking pretty good! Mostly just some elaborate maybe's:
-Maybe you recould rewrite "Performer's Note" to "Performance Note" instead? It's what we use in the formatting guidelines at least. Also, the text box for the performance note is currently outside the margins
-m1: I hear a C instead of a Db in the 5th note of the second and fourth set of 32nds (the last note of the R.H. parts)
-m2 and 3: Maybe you could use 3/2 and 2/2 as time signatures, since you're counting the beats in half notes?
-Maybe as for key signature, I think Gm would make a little bit more sense? The piece doesn't really like to stay in Fm for too long, but there are some cadences in Gm that do seem to stay in key (Aø - Eb7 - D+ - D - Gm in m7-11, as well as the II-V-I back to Gm in m17-19). I don't think you'll have to respell much, it mostly will just get rid of some naturals but might add a few Ab's. The only respellings you could consider are the Db to C# in m8 (the Eb7 acts as an augmented 6th chord here, a chord type I had never heard before college), and the F#'s-Db's in m19 to Gb's and Eb's (as the descend towards F's and Dn's afterwards). This last one you could do even if you keep the key signature in Fm.
-I don't think the courtesy accidentals in the R.H. in m5 and 14 are necessarily needed: all the chromatic runs make it pretty easy to see which note you'll be ascending too, and the notes are in a new system, which resets the accidentals a bit more too.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on March 11, 2024, 02:12:18 PM-Maybe you recould rewrite "Performer's Note" to "Performance Note" instead? It's what we use in the formatting guidelines at least. Also, the text box for the performance note is currently outside the margins
-m1: I hear a C instead of a Db in the 5th note of the second and fourth set of 32nds (the last note of the R.H. parts)
-m2 and 3: Maybe you could use 3/2 and 2/2 as time signatures, since you're counting the beats in half notes?
-Maybe as for key signature, I think Gm would make a little bit more sense? The piece doesn't really like to stay in Fm for too long, but there are some cadences in Gm that do seem to stay in key (Aø - Eb7 - D+ - D - Gm in m7-11, as well as the II-V-I back to Gm in m17-19). I don't think you'll have to respell much, it mostly will just get rid of some naturals but might add a few Ab's. The only respellings you could consider are the Db to C# in m8 (the Eb7 acts as an augmented 6th chord here, a chord type I had never heard before college), and the F#'s-Db's in m19 to Gb's and Eb's (as the descend towards F's and Dn's afterwards). This last one you could do even if you keep the key signature in Fm.
-I don't think the courtesy accidentals in the R.H. in m5 and 14 are necessarily needed: all the chromatic runs make it pretty easy to see which note you'll be ascending too, and the notes are in a new system, which resets the accidentals a bit more too.

- I'd like to keep it as-is, if that's ok with you
- ooh, that's a good catch, I shouldn't have assumed the arpeggios were the same on the way down
- hmm yeah, I thought it looked funky, this is a good fix
- so far, I like what I see with G minor as the key signature. Consider it done!
- got it, I don't know what happened to them in the key change but I think they vanished?

Now that the sheet is in a new key, could you please re-check the accidental spelling in the LH as well as the last four measures? I'm updating the files for now.

Bloop

Quote from: LeviR.star on March 13, 2024, 01:42:01 PM- I'd like to keep it as-is, if that's ok with you
It's alright to keep it as "Performer's note", but still make sure to put the box inside the margins instead of outside

Quote from: LeviR.star on March 13, 2024, 01:42:01 PMNow that the sheet is in a new key, could you please re-check the accidental spelling in the LH as well as the last four measures? I'm updating the files for now.
-m5: C# could be Db too (as that makes sense in the F minor-ish context)
-m13: C# should be Db (b9 in C7b9)
-m14: F# should be Gb (b9 in F7b9)
-m22: C#'s (both hands) should be Db's too (resolving to the C in Fm once it repeats)

That should be all though ^^

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on March 13, 2024, 01:54:41 PM- It's alright to keep it as "Performer's note", but still make sure to put the box inside the margins instead of outside

-m5: C# could be Db too (as that makes sense in the F minor-ish context)
-m13: C# should be Db (b9 in C7b9)
-m14: F# should be Gb (b9 in F7b9)
-m22: C#'s (both hands) should be Db's too (resolving to the C in Fm once it repeats)

- in that case I'd like to move it down to the bottom of the second page where there is more room within the margins
- got all of these fixed, thank you for going back through

Bloop

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot