News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

TWG CXXII Host Marching Bands

Started by BlackDragonSlayer, March 18, 2024, 12:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Host?

mastersuperfan
3 (37.5%)
TheZeldaPianist275
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: March 27, 2024, 01:24:36 AM

mastersuperfan

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on March 20, 2024, 06:06:09 PMSo, if I'm understanding the mechanics correctly, it would take 4 lynches for the wolves to achieve parity assuming none of the wolves are lynched. Under this assumption, my initial inclination is that condition (1), although it does provide a super interesting dynamic to the game, is extremely unfavorable to the wolves since they both need to avoid getting lynched and having their picked human get lynched (which gets more and more difficult as the game goes on).

Again running under the assumption that there are 4 lynches until parity, I think simply giving the wolves a once-per-game nightkill instead of once-per-game skip of the infection mechanic would potentially be a good addition.

It's two mislynches in a row for wolves to win. The wolves functionally do have nightkills, but they're delayed until the end of the next day: one wolf dying and one human-to-wolf conversion = same number of wolves, one fewer human.

For example, in the best case for wolves:

Wolves: X, Y
Humans: A, B, C, D, E, F

Night 1:
Wolves choose X (wolf) and A (human)

Day 1:
Humans lynch B
X dies
A becomes wolf

Wolves: A, Y
Humans: C, D, E, F

Night 2:
Wolves choose Y (wolf) and C (human)

Day 2:
Humans lynch D
Y dies
C becomes wolf

Wolves: A, C
Humans: E, F

And wolves win by parity—namely, X, Y, and A win, whereas C still loses due to this rule:

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 18, 2024, 05:54:10 PMNOTE: If the wolves achieve parity at the same time a human player transforms into a wolf, the newly transformed player does NOT win with the wolves.

---

edit: to add more thoughts:

Parity-wise I think the game is pretty balanced, having run through the scenarios — if all actions happen at random, wolves are slightly more likely to win— but I could be convinced that it's a bit town-sided at the moment, since (a) the Testing Kit exists and (b) the extra interactions between the wolves and their human target gives humans more info to work with. That said, it doesn't seem like the wolfhunts in recent TWG games have been terribly accurate of late :p

I added rule (1) because 2 wolves and 6 humans only allows one mislynch before LYLO, which I think is pretty rough for town, so I wanted to make it more likely that town kills a wolf. I think axing rule (1) would make sense if the game were 9 players, since that lets humans mislynch twice before reaching LYLO. I'll think a little more on whether it'd make sense for 8 players — I suppose if rule (1) is not in play and town lynches the wolves' target, it functionally stops a nightkill anyway (which gives the humans a second mislynch), even if it doesn't kill a wolf.

edit: oh the other reason why (1) exists is because without (1), it can be really hard to deduce who a wolf jumps to, since wolves has much less incentive to protect their target. for that reason I'll probably keep (1) in play but will think about whether wolves should be buffed
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 20, 2024, 06:20:45 PMIt's two mislynches in a row for wolves to win. The wolves functionally do have nightkills, but they're delayed until the end of the next day: one wolf dying and one human-to-wolf conversion = same number of wolves, one fewer human.
Ok, yeah, I definitely misread some stuff (I'm still tired) :P Agree that it seems fairly balanced and not sure of any suggestions for changes.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mastersuperfan

I finished tuning the game into what is probably its final iteration, unless anyone else has any major feedback to give. Hopefully the rules are simpler to follow now :p
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on March 20, 2024, 06:52:16 AMTWG: Rock, Paper, Scissors
My only suggestion to modify this game is to make it so that each person can only be revived once; otherwise, you can end up in a situation where one faction is able to dominate by being able to revive over and over again (especially if someone is able to trick another faction's reviver into reviving someone from their own team rather than the reviver's team).

Unless anyone else can point out a reason why that might actually break balance in this case, my personal preference for multi-use revivers is "one revive per person" cause I've seen several times throughout TWG history where not doing that can go terribly wrong.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

Reminder that today is the last day to submit a game for hosting!!!

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

Poll is up and will end 48 hours from now!!

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

Congrats TZP!You can put up player sign-ups as soon as you're able.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

TheZeldaPianist275

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on March 22, 2024, 10:04:52 PMMy only suggestion to modify this game is to make it so that each person can only be revived once; otherwise, you can end up in a situation where one faction is able to dominate by being able to revive over and over again (especially if someone is able to trick another faction's reviver into reviving someone from their own team rather than the reviver's team).

Unless anyone else can point out a reason why that might actually break balance in this case, my personal preference for multi-use revivers is "one revive per person" cause I've seen several times throughout TWG history where not doing that can go terribly wrong.

I think I'd prefer to keep it as-is. If a reviver is tricked into reviving a member of another team, that team will have a giant leg up, and probably win handily--I'm having trouble seeing a situation where reviving "over and over again" would be a problem, since any individual person can only be revived every other night (eg killed N1, revived N2, killed D2/N3, revived N3/N4, etc.) and the game is likely to end before that. Perhaps this could be tweaked by adding a proviso where someone lynched is permanently dead? I'm open to that, but I don't want to limit people to only having "two stocks".

Sign-ups going up shortly.