News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[SW] Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - "The Bereaved and Those Left Behind (Piano ver.)" by XiaoMigros

Started by Zeta, March 20, 2024, 12:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Xeno
Game: Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: The Bereaved and Those Left Behind (Piano ver.)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: XiaoMigros

Latios212

A note to others reviewing this sheet: there is a single version of this track on the game's soundtrack, which you can find here. That track is fully orchestrated. However, there is a piano-only version that plays in the game as well (for instance, HEAVY SPOILERS), and that's what this is a sheet for.

Finding a source for that is a bit tricky though (see here lol). The version in xiao's post above is missing the first eight bars. I'll use the this video as reference for the intro.

Anyway, onto feedback! This is primarily a pass on notes; I might have a bit more to say about presentation when I look at this next, mostly around consistent use of rolls/grace notes.
- I'd suggest sustaining notes (the G) over the rest of m. 5-6 LH instead of having rests
- Somewhat related to the above, I think m. 7 sounds to me more like this:
You cannot view this attachment.
- I think I hear another Bb in the LH of m. 14 an octave up from the bottom
- m. 15: the top D strikes 5 times, so no tie on beat 2.5. I was also thinking this miiight be better as some kind of tuplet instead of straight eighths since the timing is kinda loose, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
- m. 17-18 RH needs to be rolled too
- Not sure I hear the top E in m. 34 LH beat 3? (It's not there in 82)
- The LH G in m. 39-40 and 87-89 sounds an octave up. Also, it might be easier for the LH to play the first D.
- m. 53-54: it'd be easier to move some of those quarter notes to the right hand
- Chord in m. 81 is missing an F on top

Awesome work, thank you for doing this one! One of my favorites from playing through Xenoblade 3 last year :')
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Latios212 on March 22, 2024, 06:27:10 PM- I'd suggest sustaining notes (the G) over the rest of m. 5-6 LH instead of having rests
Hmm, the intent here was to show that the LH figure continues into the RH but I agree the rests are not ideal. Changed for now, but if there's a way of showing that it would be nice to incorporate that too

Quote from: Latios212 on March 22, 2024, 06:27:10 PM- Somewhat related to the above, I think m. 7 sounds to me more like this:
Phrasing wise I agree, but I don't hear that new high A

Quote from: Latios212 on March 22, 2024, 06:27:10 PM- m. 15: I was also thinking this miiight be better as some kind of tuplet instead of straight eighths since the timing is kinda loose, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
I think it's fine as is, in combination with the performance direction at the start of the sheet.

Thank you for checking!

Latios212

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 04, 2024, 11:03:26 PMHmm, the intent here was to show that the LH figure continues into the RH but I agree the rests are not ideal. Changed for now, but if there's a way of showing that it would be nice to incorporate that too
You could always connect them with a cross-staff beam, though that might look a bit strange here?

Quote from: Latios212 on March 22, 2024, 06:27:10 PM- Somewhat related to the above, I think m. 7 sounds to me more like this:
Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 04, 2024, 11:03:26 PMPhrasing wise I agree, but I don't hear that new high A
I'm still hearing it there, but I don't think it's melodically important so probably fine to leave out if that's what you think.

Quote from: Latios212 on March 22, 2024, 06:27:10 PMI might have a bit more to say about presentation when I look at this next, mostly around consistent use of rolls/grace notes.
I think last time I was thinking it was interesting you use one big roll line (like m. 10) vs. two separate roll lines (like m. 17). I don't think there's anything wrong either way, but they do mean two different things to me - rolling all the notes from bottom to top vs. rolling each hand simultaneously. I assume this is intentional?

Specific places I wanted to mention:
- I think m. 39/87 would be better as a big roll instead of a grace note.
- m. 46 missing rolls? It's a bit faster than others in the section but still sounds kind rolled
- m. 55 - LH sounds kinda rolled too?

Similarly, I assume the grace notes like at the end of 20/24 are there to emphasize more of an early start and having the following melody note be the focus, compared to places like 33-35 having rolls.

Lastly, m. 80 is oddly squished at the beginning with the sharp not having adequate space. I think that's all I have left to say about this sheet!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

Latios212

Splendid! Then this all looks good to me. Thanks for your work on this one :D

You cannot view this attachment.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

-m8: Very nits being picked, but maybe you could put the R.H. bottom D-G in a separate layer as whole notes, as those still ring one to the end of the bar but the top C doesn't? (don't forget the fermate too then)
-m55: Though maybe a bit weird looking, the Ab in the R.H. should be G# (chord is E7b9 but with an additional spicy b13 which is the C)
-m82: I hear the A-F in the R.H. rolled (so with wavy line)
-m94: I hear a very high G in the R.H. here (pretty soft though)

That's all though, very nice work and nice piece!

TheZeldaPianist275

Should the title of this one be The Bereaved and Those Left Behind (Piano) in case someone arranges the full orchestral version down the road?

Latios212

I forgot to mention, yeah, something like that would be good I think.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Zeta