News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[SW] Super Mario Bros. Wonder - "Dark Forest (Normal)" by Bloop

Started by Zeta, March 24, 2024, 11:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Dark Forest (Normal)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bloop

Bloop

There isn't an official soundtrack release of this game yet, but both gamerips on khinsider use a filename like Dark Forest, so that's probably the closest to an official title that we're gonna get for the time being. Other names I've seen used are Mushroom Forest or Fungi Mines Theme.

Kricketune54

Gourmet Race if it was slow and spooky amiright?

• m3 RH layer 1 4.0 hearing a Dn
• m7 m9 m15 RH 2nd layer 4.5 hearing as Eb I think?
• m17 RH 2nd layer 4.5 hearing as En
• It's a small thing I noticed, but maybe you could indicate small notes for m3-4 RH are only played first time? Seems like those parts are absent on the second go through

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 02, 2024, 07:40:08 PM• m3 RH layer 1 4.0 hearing a Dn
Ah yeah, and apparently G and Bb before that too instead of Ab and C, fixed!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 02, 2024, 07:40:08 PM• m7 m9 m15 RH 2nd layer 4.5 hearing as Eb I think?
• m17 RH 2nd layer 4.5 hearing as En
I actually hear both, the Eb/En is the next note in the voice that starts in the L.H. (the F-Ab-C one). I think I might've left it out so that R.H. voice stays the top voice, but I think it's fine to put them in too. Looking back at this I also switched some voices around/made some of them optional in the R.H., as I've found them to be a bit too awkward to play with the R.H.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 02, 2024, 07:40:08 PM• It's a small thing I noticed, but maybe you could indicate small notes for m3-4 RH are only played first time? Seems like those parts are absent on the second go through
Huh yeah, I didn't notice at first. I added a performance note about the small notes (as well as the new ones I added)!

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on April 03, 2024, 03:05:05 AMAh yeah, and apparently G and Bb before that too instead of Ab and C, fixed!
Good catch

Quote from: Bloop on April 03, 2024, 03:05:05 AMI actually hear both, the Eb/En is the next note in the voice that starts in the L.H. (the F-Ab-C one). I think I might've left it out so that R.H. voice stays the top voice, but I think it's fine to put them in too. Looking back at this I also switched some voices around/made some of them optional in the R.H., as I've found them to be a bit too awkward to play with the R.H.
Gotcha - I would do the top note for these parts if you were to only have one pitch instead of two because I think it would be better to have an additional different pitch (considering LH is playing Cn for example already at m9), and it also is slightly easier if you were trying to hold an upper layer note.

Quote from: Bloop on April 03, 2024, 03:05:05 AMHuh yeah, I didn't notice at first. I added a performance note about the small notes (as well as the new ones I added)!
Yeah it is kind of a weird detail I noticed when listening repeatedly. If someone has played this game and has heard to the contrary in game, def speak up haha

• m18 LH 3.0 and 3.5 hearing this as Bn followed by Dn
• m35 Would the G#'s not be Ab as well like m36?

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 03, 2024, 06:57:42 PMGotcha - I would do the top note for these parts if you were to only have one pitch instead of two because I think it would be better to have an additional different pitch (considering LH is playing Cn for example already at m9), and it also is slightly easier if you were trying to hold an upper layer note.
Good point! That made me actually un-shrink those notes except for the C haha. I noticed the extra Eb is in m5 as well btw, so I added one there too.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 03, 2024, 06:57:42 PM• m18 LH 3.0 and 3.5 hearing this as Bn followed by Dn
Fixed this one!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 03, 2024, 06:57:42 PM• m35 Would the G#'s not be Ab as well like m36?
Technically it could be yeah, but harmonically the chord in m35 is an E augmented (or I guess C+/E) chord, that you'd expect to resolve back to Am (G# as leading tone to A). But m36-37, like m1-2, is a C augmented (or Ab+/C) chord that resolves back to Fm instead (En as leading tone to F, Ab being a note in the key of Fm). It did feel weird to have both Ab and G# in these 3 measures, but G# made more sense in m35 (mostly because of the thirds in beat 2 r.h. and beat 4 l.h.), and Ab more sense in m36-37 (resolving back to Fm, also the melody going C-Bb-Ab in m37).

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on April 04, 2024, 02:44:18 AMTechnically it could be yeah, but harmonically the chord in m35 is an E augmented (or I guess C+/E) chord, that you'd expect to resolve back to Am (G# as leading tone to A). But m36-37, like m1-2, is a C augmented (or Ab+/C) chord that resolves back to Fm instead (En as leading tone to F, Ab being a note in the key of Fm). It did feel weird to have both Ab and G# in these 3 measures, but G# made more sense in m35 (mostly because of the thirds in beat 2 r.h. and beat 4 l.h.), and Ab more sense in m36-37 (resolving back to Fm, also the melody going C-Bb-Ab in m37).

Appreciate the explanation here. I thought it had something to do with the E sounding chord of m35, and that the key is Cn for this section .

Will approve this one (which I have enjoyed listening to a bit more over past few days, neat track), do you have any thoughts on adding a courtesy key change indication for F major at the end of m37? For when the performer goes back to m3. Maybe that's overkill considering the key is listed just a bit to the left when the performer repeats, but a closing thought.

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 04, 2024, 07:14:34 PMdo you have any thoughts on adding a courtesy key change indication for F major at the end of m37? For when the performer goes back to m3. Maybe that's overkill considering the key is listed just a bit to the left when the performer repeats, but a closing thought.
I added one! Seems I forgot to this time, I usually wanna make sure D.S.'s have cautionary time signature changes too.

XiaoMigros

Here goes nothing...

• m1 beat 1: The Ab sounds an octave lower, the En an octave higher
  • m2: The LH Ab sounds like a Bb
  • m3-4: I think this can be easily played if distributed between hands, no need to make these notes optional
  • m5-6: I think the line starting on beat 3 in the LH can be kept to its original pitches
  • m7: The 'optional' C can be left out imo, there are 2 Cs in the LH that make up for it in sound
  • m8: same comment as m5-6
  • Was the pizz. strings harmony omitted intentionally? I think it could make a nice addition, especially in the second measures of the pattern, where the RH doesnt have as much to do
  • m13-14: You could include the full harmony in the lower RH layer
  • m15-19: See previous
  • m26: beat 3.5 RH sounds like an eighth note
  • m28: I think including the 2nd on beat 4 would add more character, in the original its quite distinct as well
  • m37: beat 3.5 I hear E5
  • m37: The key sig is a little close to the barline, could it be moved slightly left? The DS should be right-aligned to the barline as well

Bloop

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 10, 2024, 01:36:08 PM
  • m1 beat 1: The Ab sounds an octave lower, the En an octave higher
  • m2: The LH Ab sounds like a Bb
Fixed these!

• m3-4: I think this can be easily played if distributed between hands, no need to make these notes optional
In m3 beat 4 to beat 4.5, both hands need to jump down about two octaves to reach the C's, which is possible but definitely on the harder side. Also, the arrangement doesn't necessarily need this voice, and it only appears in this part in the sheet. Since it's possible I didn't wanna exclude them per se, but wanted to notate that they're not needed to play the sheet.

• m5-6: I think the line starting on beat 3 in the LH can be kept to its original pitches
  • m8: same comment as m5-6
Aren't they already in their original pitches? Moving them an octave lower sounds like it's too low,

• m7: The 'optional' C can be left out imo, there are 2 Cs in the LH that make up for it in sound
Good point! I left the one that wasn't optional in in m9, as it's easier to get to and also to mirror m17.

• Was the pizz. strings harmony omitted intentionally? I think it could make a nice addition, especially in the second measures of the pattern, where the RH doesnt have as much to do
The harmony gets in the way of the clarinet parts, which I especially wanted to let ring to contrast the staccatoness of the main themes. Also, assuming you meant the L.H. in the second measures, I found it nice to have the L.H. take a little break of the pattern in the main themes haha

• m13-14: You could include the full harmony in the lower RH layer
Tbh I might just have missed the lower harmony haha, it's pretty quiet but I can hear it. I added it in the L.H. though, as the R.H. can't really comfortably hold the low C when going to the high Eb

• m26: beat 3.5 RH sounds like an eighth note
I think you're right yeah (similarly in m34 I think), but it feels like the extra pedalling required to make sure the note doesn't ring feels a bit weird for such a small effect (and it gives the L.H. less time to jump up to the high E afterwards :p)

• m37: beat 3.5 I hear E5
That seems to be part of a different voice (the rising woob woob voice that's the same as the small notes in m3-4), which I chose to exclude here.

• m28: I think including the 2nd on beat 4 would add more character, in the original its quite distinct as well
  • m37: The key sig is a little close to the barline, could it be moved slightly left? The DS should be right-aligned to the barline as well
Fixed these!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on April 13, 2024, 11:35:11 AMAren't they already in their original pitches? Moving them an octave lower sounds like it's too low,
I think the notes in m4 are an octave higher, for example.

Everything else looks good to me!

LowQualityTunes

I have music on most streaming platforms.