News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[N64] Paper Mario - "Huffin' and Puffin'" by Static

Started by Zeta, May 06, 2024, 07:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Paper Mario
Game: Paper Mario
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Huffin' and Puffin'
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Static

Static

Somehow it's been 8 years and I've never submitted a PM64 sheet, figured it had to happen someday

Bloop

oooohhhh paper mario, nice choice ;3

-m5-6: I think G# instead of Ab's might fit a bit better here? The scale seems to be a kinda double harmonic scale, though with some exceptions later on. I'm mostly doubting because of the Ab going down to G in m11-12, which you could still leave as Ab, but the scale seems to be more E-focused in m5-10.
-m20: I hear C-B-Bb in the R.H. top layer in beat 4 (instead of B-Bb-A). It will be a bit hard to hold that B in the bottom layer though, maybe it's just best to leave that one out?
-m21 and similar: The sitar arpeggios here sound like they're a full phrygian scale down like in m2, so the third note from the top should then be a semitone lower. I think you can add the last two notes too and start the chromatic organ voice on beat 3 instead of beat 2, which gives the player a little bit of time to jump back to that too. Maybe you could also limit the pedal marks to one measure instead of two, as it might start to sound a bit muddy after two bars (especially with the bass run in m24)

Static

Quote from: Bloop on May 07, 2024, 06:29:25 AM-m5-6: I think G# instead of Ab's might fit a bit better here? The scale seems to be a kinda double harmonic scale, though with some exceptions later on. I'm mostly doubting because of the Ab going down to G in m11-12, which you could still leave as Ab, but the scale seems to be more E-focused in m5-10.
Makes sense, yeah. I think it should be G# in m11 too since it continues the scale from m9.

Quote from: Bloop on May 07, 2024, 06:29:25 AM-m20: I hear C-B-Bb in the R.H. top layer in beat 4 (instead of B-Bb-A). It will be a bit hard to hold that B in the bottom layer though, maybe it's just best to leave that one out?
Fixed

Quote from: Bloop on May 07, 2024, 06:29:25 AM-m21 and similar: The sitar arpeggios here sound like they're a full phrygian scale down like in m2, so the third note from the top should then be a semitone lower. I think you can add the last two notes too and start the chromatic organ voice on beat 3 instead of beat 2, which gives the player a little bit of time to jump back to that too. Maybe you could also limit the pedal marks to one measure instead of two, as it might start to sound a bit muddy after two bars (especially with the bass run in m24)
Changed all this stuff too, I think that section sounds a lot better now.

Thanks for taking a look!

Bloop

Latios212

Nice work! (I really should listen to more stuff from this game...)

- The G#s seemed a bit weird to me at first, but I agree they make sense with an E tonic
- The pedal markings in m. 21/etc seem a bit far to the right
- Have you considered writing out the downward rolls as runs instead? It's pretty awkward to try and be sure you're lining up the accidentals with the right notes, and laying them out as runs would also give people an idea on the intended timing as well as help determine fingering easier. (Thinking back, I feel like this applies to a few of your other sheets too...)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on May 23, 2024, 04:34:35 PM- The pedal markings in m. 21/etc seem a bit far to the right
I think they just appear that way because of all the accidentals, but as I've changed those measures it should look a bit better now. I've always aligned pedal markings with the left side of notes.

Quote from: Latios212 on May 23, 2024, 04:34:35 PM- Have you considered writing out the downward rolls as runs instead? It's pretty awkward to try and be sure you're lining up the accidentals with the right notes, and laying them out as runs would also give people an idea on the intended timing as well as help determine fingering easier. (Thinking back, I feel like this applies to a few of your other sheets too...)
Yeah that sounds good! I can't think of many other sheets I submitted that have giant rolled chords like this other than perhaps Corridors of Time? But it's easier to read there compared to the ones that were in this sheet.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on May 25, 2024, 01:09:19 PMI think they just appear that way because of all the accidentals, but as I've changed those measures it should look a bit better now. I've always aligned pedal markings with the left side of notes.
Oh interesting, I feel like I've been centering them with the notes...

Quote from: Static on May 25, 2024, 01:09:19 PMYeah that sounds good! I can't think of many other sheets I submitted that have giant rolled chords like this other than perhaps Corridors of Time? But it's easier to read there compared to the ones that were in this sheet.
Yeah, Corridors of Time was what I was thinking of. Gritzy Desert too, but the runs there are even smaller and also are fine as is.

Changes look good, I shall accept :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot