Anime and Manga suggestions.

Started by The-Real-Link, January 24, 2009, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InfinitySoul

Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed Haruhi and Disappearance is definitely worth the watch, I just think you need more experience in anime to watch it. There are anime out there like that. I would say you need more experience for Baccano even though its my favorite of all time. Just stuff you gotta think about and accept haha ^o^

InfinitySoul

Quote from: Jompa on September 07, 2014, 02:00:52 PMBut MAL thinks is the best think ever, so I guess I'm wrong.

MAL does give FMAB way too much credit. It was alright and way better than the previous FMA but its way too over hyped

FireArrow

Haruhi was my first anime and I loved it (well, bar naruto, but that doesn't really count.) I'm not really a big anime person either, I prefer cartoons (err, murica' anime? :3)
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Jompa

Quote from: Jompa on August 19, 2014, 11:43:26 AMI just finished the first season of "Kaleido Star" (the first 26 episodes).

Ever since I started watching anime, Kaleido Star is a name that has popped up all over the place in recommendations, and I can imagine many others have also experienced this. But, if I get the impression a show is overrated I immediately turn on a switch in my brain that from then on makes me ignore that show. And this was the case with Kaleido Star right from the start. This has been the case with hundreds of shows, and I really should know better, because many of these shows I've ignored have proven to not be overrated, but actually popular for a good reason. (a good couple of my personal examples with this are Cowboy Bebop and Baccano). This was also the case with Kaleido Star.
But now I know that I couldn't have chosen an anime to be more wrong about thinking it was overrated!!!!! It is a totally incredible and amazing anime of great quality! As a shoujo drama, I don't think I've ever seen anything even close to this good, and even the comedy part could've made the show alone.

It has got to be the show I've cried the most to, and I'm not even finished with it yet... ...okay, it's not Uchuu Kyoudai, but it just spits on Clannad, Kanon 2006 & Clannad: After Story.
I still can't believe it's from 2003. Jesus Christ, it's much better than all the shit that comes out nowadays...

The show reminds me A LOT of Princess Tutu. Not because of the story or the themes or the genres, but literally because of the animation-style, the mood, the characters, the comedy, and the voice actors (the english dub ones (which were incredible for both of the shows)). So yeah, it reminds me of that show, but not really anything else. It is an extraordinarily unique show considering it could be considered a very typical shoujo, which is quite rare. Somehow it doesn't remind me of other anime, but it feels very similar to American cartoons in a way, which is also incredibly rare. But I think all of this is positive the way Kaleido Star uses it.

The first opening sucks ass, but the background music is absolutely some of the most beautiful and emotion-filled I've heard in an anime.

It's a 10/10
Definitely my second favorite tear-jerker.

And now I'm off for the second half of the show... T.T
I just finished the last half of Kaleido Star, and it was totally amazing.
Birdo for Smash

Maelstrom

So I finally decided to watch some, at a friend's recommendation. I watched 9 out of 10 episodes in one sitting of Zankyo no Teroru, or Terror in Resoncance. It's not the best thing I've ever seen, but it's pretty good.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: maelstrom. on September 20, 2014, 07:48:01 AMSo I finally decided to watch some, at a friend's recommendation. I watched 9 out of 10 episodes in one sitting of Zankyo no Teroru, or Terror in Resoncance. It's not the best thing I've ever seen, but it's pretty good.

It's okay. That director's other stuff is better imo
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Maelstrom

It was decent for a first one, imo. It's not hard to imagine there's better ones.

SuperFireKirby

Terror In Resonance is probably my least favorite anime by Shinichiro Watanabe, besides Space Dandy. But anything the dude is involved with is pure gold(Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Kids on the Slope, and Space Dandy). Rewatching through Bebop again myself and I think it's even better this time around.

Seriously, just going through Watanabe's work is probably the best introduction to anime you can get.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Maelstrom

Problem is, everything needs to get past my mom.  :P

SlowPokemon

Kids on the Slope is incredibly wholesome, like there's no objectionable content at all, and it'll probably warm your heart unlike anything you've ever seen before. I don't want to be that guy who says "you need to watch it" but next time you feel like watching an anime, I highly recommend it.

Maelstrom

It just doesn't seem that interesting.  :( Nice job on your persona arrangement, btw.

SlowPokemon

Eh I guess it depends on your point of view? I wouldn't say it was my favorite anime ever if it wasn't interesting. Again though I'm not going to tell you to watch it. My (at that time) best friend recommended it to me and I didn't watch it until a few months later, and I wish I had watched it earlier haha. Even if you don't ever watch it, or it's a long time before you do, I'd rather make you aware of it in case you're ever really bored one day.

Maelstrom

Thanks. Any other recommendations?

SlowPokemon

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is excellent, though if you're like me you might have to watch the whole thing before you realize how incredible it is.

Mawaru Penguindrum is another of my favorites, but it's also incredibly weird and there's a lot of symbolism that goes into it that makes the plot hard to understand toward the end. It's also incredibly dark at times so if that's not your thing stay away from it.

Everybody seems to love Attack on Titan but I didn't think it was incredible and wouldn't recommend it unless you like action, because it does that really well. There's a lot of graphic bloody violence in that one too.

Finally, Kokoro Connect is excellent, but it's more of a drama than anything else. If you're into that (which based on your enjoyment of Dual Destinies you are), then go for this, though it's worth noting Kids on the Slope is better and will resonate with you a lot more.

Maelstrom

Thanks for the recommendations. Personally, idk what I like, but a combination of action, character development and overly complex plot, I guess?