Main Menu

Anime and Manga suggestions.

Started by The-Real-Link, January 24, 2009, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jompa

Woooow this week's Space Dandy was insane
Birdo for Smash

Jompa

I'm currently watching Psycho-Pass (second try, since I didn't like it at first), and I really like it! The gruesomeness is really taking me back to my Higurashi-watching days, it's quite exciting. I recommend it!
Birdo for Smash

SuperFireKirby

Space Dandy just outdoes itself every week in the wtf category.

Also, Black Lagoon is coming to Toonami next week. Badass pirate shows are my thang.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Nebbles

Dude, Black Lagoon is the best.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Jompa

Quote from: Jompa on March 16, 2014, 04:49:34 PMI'm currently watching Psycho-Pass (second try, since I didn't like it at first), and I really like it! The gruesomeness is really taking me back to my Higurashi-watching days, it's quite exciting. I recommend it!
Oh god, Psycho-Pass is so intense!!! It's great!!! It's rapidly climbing my top anime list, episode for episode now.
I recommend it!! You'll at least need a "Shingeki no Kyojin"-stomach though. Damn.
It's so exciting, and it's very hard to stop watching! Currently I'm at episode 16 out of 22.

I don't know if anyone's watched "Shinsekai Yori" (which is one of the most amazing anime shows ever fucking created), but that's what Pasycho-Pass reminds me the most of. They're both about flawed society systems that end up backfiring. Somehow I see Psycho-Pass as a bit of a milder version of that, but it's definitely more grotesque and somehow more gruesome too.

Man, I wish I didn't drop this show back when it aired...
Birdo for Smash

Jompa

Finished Psycho-Pass (well, up to the current). Wawawiwa it was amazing. I am so hyped for the upcoming second season and movie.
Birdo for Smash

Jompa

Review of Uchuu Kyoudai:
Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers) has finally ended, after 99 episodes over the course of almost two years.
To sum up all the crazy nonsense I'm going to write below: It's the best anime/TV-show/anything I've ever seen.

Since episode one I've been totally captured by Uchuu Kyoudai. Right away we're introduced to the main theme of the show; an older brother must always be one step ahead of his younger brother.
As kids the older brother Mutta and the younger brother Hibito made a promise. They were going to become astronauts. Fast-forward about a decade and we see that this didn't go as planned. Somewhere along the way Mutta gave up and let his younger brother take the lead. Suddenly Mutta's life hits rock-bottom. He's fired and blackballed from his job as a car designer. He has lost all hope, but is then reminded of the promise he once made to his younger brother, who's now an astronaut. His family secretly puts him up for astronaut recruitment, and somehow he makes the cut to the first exam.
This is when Mutta realizes his true dream of becoming an astronaut, and from there the story takes off.

Hmmmm, Space Brothers.... You'd think the rest of the show would just be about two brothers being astronauts and doing space-stuff but this is most certainly not correct. Uchuu Kyoudai is about a man's realistic struggle on the path to become an astronaut, and another man's life as an astronaut, as well as all the hardships that come along with it. Along the way we meet a whole bunch of characters that also gets their stories told through the show, strongly affecting the brothers' lives. Most of the show is set in the not-so-distant future, but it's more of a Slice of Life than the stereotypical Sci-Fi.

What this show manages to pull of soooooo good, is how realistic it is. It shows us insight in every angle of an astronaut's job, and teaches important history on space exploration. We get to follow an astronaut's training, as well as an astronauts real work. It even covers all kinds of space technology, and gives insight in how a moon-base works, as well as moon-vehicles. Even telescopes and space-stations has a home in this show. Because of this I feel educated on how JAXA and NASA operate, and I'll forever be a fan of space, all thanks to Uchuu Kyoudai.
This realistic-ness really contributes a lot to the show's emotionality. This makes the show all the more serious, practically meaning that a serious problem in the story will affect the viewer a whole lot more. At one point in the show I was screaming with tears in my eyes out of pure relief. That doesn't happen with just any show does it?

I am not going to write much more than ^that. I've realized that my lousy excuse for a review can't possibly express the feelings I have for this show.
All the tears I've shed, and all the laughter. I owe a lot to Uchuu Kyoudai. :'(
As the manga isn't finished, and as there's much more to happen for a truly satisfactory ending, I expect more. Some day Uchuu Kyoudai will get a second season, and it'll be magnificent. :)

I haven't mentioned the music, huh..
It most certainly has one of the most memorable soundtracks I've ever heard.
All the openings and endings were of high quality and they are all very memorable.
When it comes to the background music: The background music was very good - Almost all of it consisted of instrumental music using orchestral ensembles. However, they were extremely repetitive! It was an extremely short soundtrack compared to the length of the show. The "main theme" was used in literally every episode. Even though the music was extremely good and managed to convey the right emotions, you could pretty much hum to them all after the first five episodes..
I still loved the music as a whole tough! It truly intensified the beauty of the show. Wether the scene was epic, inspiring, touching or even sad, the music was absolutely perfect.

I score this show 10/10. It is the best anime show I've ever seen, and I will miss it very much. You'll have to look very hard for someone who can disagree. I want to share the experience, therefore I recommend everyone here to watch it.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I can feel the anime hangover coming..
Birdo for Smash

Bubbles

I don't know why, but I'd never listened to the full ending of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, and now that I am I really want to rewatch it. It'll be for the third time though, so I kinda want to pick something else instead. Does anyone know any really good and really sad movies? Not necessarily a tragedy, but something that'll make me cry

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Yugi

Quote from: Bubbles on March 27, 2014, 05:18:54 PMDoes anyone know any really good and really sad movies? Not necessarily a tragedy, but something that'll make me cry
Forrest Gump

mikey

unmotivated

Dude

Don't google this man I'm warning ya
Boku no Pico
[close]

You'll cry tears of blood.

Bubbles

jesus christ dude no thank you

And I'll watch Colorful then. Forrest Gump and Toy Story 3 aren't anime movies, plus I've already seen Toy Story (and didn't think it was that sad either)

Jompa

Shinsekai Yori just got out dubbed you guys (well, only 13 episodes), so I think that's a damn good excuse to watch it! ;D I suggest everyone to do so. I for one am gonna re-watch it, because it is one of the best anime I've seen.

Soooooo, as I re-watch it....
Spoiler
I suddenly realize from looking at the people in the background and stuff, that EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER IN THE SHOW is gay, except one of the main characters,
[close]
which like wow, I mean that's kinda hilarious:P
Birdo for Smash