News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

the best mario game?

Started by dahans, April 16, 2009, 12:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dahans

personally my favourites are "the big three": super mario 64, sunshine and galaxy. they were all great. But there are a lot more mario games and due to the fact that im a dedicated mario fan im interested what u think is best :)
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

SirIngusBingus

I know a lot of people won't agree, but Sunshine was my favorite. It had it all, and it relaxed you while you played it. Plus, unlike the other two you mentioned, it had a common theme, which made the whole game feel more together.

By the way, why not make this thread a pole?

Cobraroll

SM64 was, and still is, one of the most awesome games in existence, with one of the best musical scores ever, blow-away variety, and grahics and gameplay that set a benchmark throughout game history. It's impossible to go through game history properly without mentioning Super Mario 64.

Sunshine had a story, well, a bit beyond "rescue the princess". It also, as mentioned, had a common "theme", no gravity-defying islands, blocks of water that suddenly stopped, leading unlucky swimmers into an eternal plunge, and it looked, in a Mario way, sensible. Well, save from the Sky and Secret levels, that had everything the rest of the game lacked in WTF-factor. Delfino Plaza does make sense, Ricco Harbor is a major port, and there are no remote, faraway places habited only by Bowser's evil minions. Only perfectly valid holiday places. The graphics were sweet, and the chill-factor at the max. I could spend quite some time just cruising around, practising awesome jumps or ways to get from one place to another in shortest possible time. The levels weren't missions set on a stage (like Galaxy is), it's a stage with a mission within. You are free to roam the area in most levels, not necessarily follow a set path to the finish. A bit like SM64, only even freer. And with sense. No snow levels, though.

Galaxy was epic. Simply epic. Blowaway galaxies, epic music (Oh, the Good Egg Galaxy), vast panoramas of stars and planets, and an athmosphere challenging even Sunshine.
However, the roam-factor was next to none. You couldn't fly freely around, explore another rock, fly further, look at a place and think "you know, I'll go see what's there. Wonder how I can get to it?", like in Sunshine. You were usually given a set path to follow, and there was no room for leaving that path. I want to explore the Dreadnought, fight my way through the Battlerock, explore a cave in Freezeflame, relax at the Beach Bar in Beach Bowl, and lay down and look at the sky from a veranda on a little house in Good Egg (I know there is one, but no veranda).
There were also next to no "sense" in that sense that there are no places where natives live, no towns or cities, no hospitality. Just wilderness, obstacles habited solely by random enemies. In Sunshine, the enemies either originated from the evil present (the goop monsters), or they were native to the area (e.g. the Plungelos), in Galaxy, they fit with the theme, but no one knows where they come from or why they are just there, waiting for an enemy to appear. Also, gravity is on the loose (and we love it!). After you have gotten all 241 stars, however, you have quite little to do.

Overall, 64 gets it for me. I never owned it myself, but my cousin did. I remember I used to sleep over at his, we slept in the living room and got up before sunrise to give "that star" another try. I remember getting to Tick Tock clock for the first time, finally beating Bowser, learning the secret of the pyramid, beating King Boo in the haunted mansion (of which SMG's is a pale copy). Following next is Super Mario Sunshine, for the relax factor, third, but in no means last, is Super Mario Galaxy. It's purely epic, and a lot better than most other games around (Or I have played too few. Who knows).

And coincidentally, my current piano project is learning all the Main Hub songs by heart. I know Inside the Castle and Rosalina's Observatory by heart, only Delfino Plaza left. thanks for arranging, guys!
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

SirIngusBingus

There was one other thing I left out that I liked about Sunshine: it had puzzles. There were some missions where you actually had to figure out what to do. Plus, other than Count Bleck/Dimentio/Mr. L, (I love the villains from SPM even if the other games in the series were superior) Shadow Mario was probably one of the coolest villains that Mario's ever fought, that is, until you find out who he is for real.

Cobraroll

^Oh, and, of course, the blue coins. Finding them all was a challenge, especially in Noki Bay. And it inspired further exploration of all the levels, they weren't just down a sideway on your way to the boss, they were lying in remote corners of the level, quite often you had to stop and think "now, how do I get up there?". Exploration made the game even more awesome.

Plus, SMS's camera was the best in any game I've played EVER. In SMG, quite often the camera movements will be restricted, and you can't see from Mario's perspective unless you've stopped fully. SM64 had some angle issues (did you notice that you couldn't change the angle in the Castle's entrance hall,so that you never saw what was above the door? That was fixed in SM64DS), and you controlled the cam with buttons, not a stick. Huge plus to SMS for the camera.

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

SirIngusBingus

Hey, I just noticed-your picture is from Sunshine right?

Dude

Brassman388

dahans

well i do agree with u all and i must say my personal favourite is super mario sunshine, although i didnt find the 120 (is this correct?) stars the fun i had was amazing. Anyway
Quote from: SirIngusBingus on April 16, 2009, 12:30:15 PMI know a lot of people won't agree, but Sunshine was my favorite. It had it all, and it relaxed you while you played it. Plus, unlike the other two you mentioned, it had a common theme, which made the whole game feel more together.

By the way, why not make this thread a pole?
how to make this thread a pole? that would be interesting

Cobraroll

Quote from: SirIngusBingus on April 16, 2009, 03:46:18 PMHey, I just noticed-your picture is from Sunshine right?
Yep, it's a Pokey. On other forums, my name is Pokemaniac, but many just call me Pokey. I put that avatar there as a tongue-in-cheek for that.

^How would we do that? Print it out, tape and roll the sheets toghether and tape the roll firmly? Or use it as a texture on something long and thin?

Poll, however, is just to click a button.

dahans

SirIngusBingus

Wow, I completely misspelled poll. I feel stupid I didn't even realize I did that.