News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Where do you come from?

Started by Dynemand, March 06, 2008, 12:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winter

hahah! I've had so many people ask me weird things about Alaska. like, "Does the sun EVER come up??" It's like dude in the summer, the sun NEVER goes down. They don't realize that it's not necessarily cold, but just extreme, It'll be -40 at night and 70 during the day.

Silly people. And we have blazing hot summers too :p

Cobraroll

Sounds familiar... It's the exact same here. Northern Norway tends to be marketed as "Land of the Midnight Sun". But that's only because "Land of Eternal Darkness" doesn't go too well with tourists. Yes, I know we get exactly as much daytime as nighttime, like every other place in the world, but the weather tends to obstruct the daytime, and make the nighttime even darker.

And cold up here is proper cold. -40*C is apparently something that happens some days every winter. -50 is more rare, but it occurs from time to time. Add the wind to that.

Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Winter

Yeah the wind chill was a bitch, although where i was living, the weather was pretty stable for the most part, 5 days out of the week was clear skies and the other 2 were usually snowy or windy. That was during the Spring though

SuperFireKirby

Oh yeah, my winters get down to.... 10*C....

But mah summers get to 35 plus 95% humidity.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Ruto

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on October 20, 2010, 10:53:08 AMOh yeah, my winters get down to.... 10*C....

But mah summers get to 35 plus 95% humidity.

Are you really far inland or something?

Quote from: Cobraroll on October 20, 2010, 10:04:52 AMSounds familiar... It's the exact same here. Northern Norway tends to be marketed as "Land of the Midnight Sun". But that's only because "Land of Eternal Darkness" doesn't go too well with tourists. Yes, I know we get exactly as much daytime as nighttime, like every other place in the world, but the weather tends to obstruct the daytime, and make the nighttime even darker.

And cold up here is proper cold. -40*C is apparently something that happens some days every winter. -50 is more rare, but it occurs from time to time. Add the wind to that.

"Midnight Sun" sounds like that awful Twilight saga book...I don't want to live there :(
My astronomy professor talked all about daylight in north. Days when the sun doesn't set...wooo...and the crazy cold that my dad mentioned when he was sailing in Norway. I think -10C is cold.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Cobraroll

^^I'd take that any day over this...
*glances at snowdrifts outside window*
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Ruto

Snow is better than nothing, actually. I really hate days when it's just cold and windy.

You could try moving to another country, maybe? Not the US, unless you want to spend the rest of your life paying off the government's spending in the past 2 years. X) It should be somewhere where you don't have to pay so much for heating, or air conditioning, near the ocean...

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Jub3r7

Wow, I live one state above you, SFK.
This summer, it got like 95*F, more or less, didn't it? Maybe to the 110's?

It's about 50% of the people where I live love the snow, 50% hate it.
They either rejoice in it because it only comes once or twice a year, or shudder at it because they're not used to it.
I personally enjoy it. Although it doesn't get down to the 10's very often, so that might explain something.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Ruto

Eh, I could never live in a place where you don't need a coat.

Weren't there snowstorms in the South last year? How was that? :D

DrP

Quote from: Jub3r7 on October 20, 2010, 05:22:30 PMWow, I live one state above you, SFK.

It's about 50% of the people where I live love the snow, 50% hate it.
They either rejoice in it because it only comes once or twice a year, or shudder at it because they're not used to it.
I personally enjoy it. Although it doesn't get down to the 10's very often, so that might explain something.

You live close to Slow, that is if you live in the land began by James Oglethorpe in the name of King George 

Winter

Quote from: drpamplemousse on October 20, 2010, 06:12:32 PMYou live close to Slow, that is if you live in the land began by James Oglethorpe in the name of King George 

smartie pants

Ruto

That was in my sister's 4th grade notes  :D

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Jub3r7 on October 20, 2010, 05:22:30 PMWow, I live one state above you, SFK.

Hey, I live one state above Florida as well! Are you a Georgia dweller, Jub?
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Jub3r7

Indeed, I am. What a coincidence!

...That would be weird if we knew each other...
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]