News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

Concerning NSM and game music...

Started by dahans, May 09, 2009, 02:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreekGeek

Quote from: Cobraroll on May 10, 2009, 01:04:08 PMI don't just listen to game music. I exclusively listen to game music, and am completely open about it if anyone asks. OK, I may be looked upon as a bit weird, but I like game music. There are two main reasons behind this:
1) Memories. Sad as it may sound, I have spent a lot of time gaming throughout the years. And the music brings back memories of those moments, when I had finally beaten that boss, solved that puzzle, found the way to a new area...
2) They bring emotions (nostalgia, if nothing else), that a lot of other music don't care to express. Also, I like the fact that most video game music is completely free of the love cliche. Instead, they often express freedom, joy, hope(/lessness), going-boldly-into-the-unknown, glory, or adrenaline rush. Or they're just plain soothing. And there's comfortably far between the love songs.

OK, I don't listen a tenth as much to music as most other people, so it's not like I spend entire days sitting listening to Super Mario soundtrack. Funnily enough, I never just listen to music, I listen to it in the background while doing other things. It's something with the genre, I think...

Agree, but I listen it as well because it's just freakin' cool and well-written music instead of the 3-chord songs you here on the radio.
*pukes*
You never hear MCR on the radio so that one is excluded.

Cobraroll

^
*tries... not to make... joke... about... MCR*

Many times, I have played game music for friends and family, and they have liked it. Even my grandmother asked me who had written Rosalina's Observatory, she thought it was some classical piece. Even my sister (who per definition hates everything I'm doing), thought Super Mario 64's End Theme was a nice song. That is, until I told her where it originated from, and I started playing it on piano (she hates that one as well now).
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

dahans

Quote from: Cobraroll on May 11, 2009, 12:01:06 AM^
*tries... not to make... joke... about... MCR*

Many times, I have played game music for friends and family, and they have liked it. Even my grandmother asked me who had written Rosalina's Observatory, she thought it was some classical piece. Even my sister (who per definition hates everything I'm doing), thought Super Mario 64's End Theme was a nice song. That is, until I told her where it originated from, and I started playing it on piano (she hates that one as well now).

Lol; I have two sisters and the older is quite similar to your one, hates everything I do xD. I am the idol of my younger sister (8 years old and in 2 years I will tell her about NSM because she plays the piano) and she likes game music especially mario music. And my familiy who  played super mario 64 loves the soundtrack and they always want me to play the water theme on piano :).
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

dahans

In my opinion the best modern music...

SuperFireKirby

I especially love to orchestrated gaming music because the video game companies are kinda the last guys doing original orchestrated pieces of music.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

dahans

Especially nintendo produces orchestral soundtracks. (SMG, the first game with orchestral music recorded by an orchester)
I hope that many orchesters play a lot of game music to spread it in the world :)

Brassman388

Acually, Starfox Assault came out with a full score soundtrack before SMG. but I don't think that it was the first. I'll be sure to look into it before I say what really was the first.

dahans

But Starfox might had an orchestral soundtrack but it wasn't recorded by the orchester I think. It was made with the computer...

Brassman388

Look it up. It sounds like a real orchestra. I've never heard of a synthesized orchestra sounding that good.

dahans

I didn't find it anywhere but I heard that SMG was the first one...

Brassman388

Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense. I'm gonna have to do some research now.

dahans

Yeah that's true  :) It's a complete nonsense. So tell me after you have made your research

Brassman388

Alrighty, I might even make a big deal about it and make a seperate topic for it. Well, not really. But, I will tell you the outcome of my findings. That, I can promise you.

dahans