News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

MaestroUGC's Virtuoso Submissions *Nihil*

Started by MaestroUGC, June 18, 2009, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

Well I've always prided myself on being able to bridge these two worlds together. So much so that at times I'll give direct nods or quotes to different pieces within my arrangements.

VG music has every potential within it to break out of its medium and stand as its own musical tradition alongside western classical, much like film music has. I'm just trying to nudge it along and show Kondo and Beethoven have a little something in common.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

MaestroUGC

Critical feedback time!:

A lot of you guys have followed my stuff here for a long time, some of you since the beginning. And now the time has come for me to ask a few questions regarding my arrangements; all of 'em, piano, orchestral, or otherwise. Also, please no vague answers; this is going a long way for me in the future and these are something I need to have real answers for down the line.

1. For those of you who like what I do, why? What is it about the kind of arrangements I make that you like? Style? Technique?
2. For those of you who don't like my arrangements, why? Is it the way I present them? The fact that I alter these pieces at all?
3. Whenever I post something new, what's the first thing you notice? The game/series I chose to do? Or do you ignore that and look to see what I did with it?
4. When I do post something new, what's your general reaction before you listen/see it?
5. Of the arrangements I've made, which style do you prefer? A complete redesign of the original? Something more built on variations? Leaving it relatively unchanged but making it way flashier? Fusing VG music with more classically styled pieces?
5a. Which ones would you consider your favorite?
5b. Which ones would you consider your least favorite?
6. Not that I'm taking requests, but what game/series would you like to see me work with? Which ones would you like me to stay as far away from?
7. Do you feel that what I do is overshadowing or otherwise taking away from what the other arrangers here are doing, especially considering that I don't contribute to the site?
8. This is more intended for the arrangers here: Considering I lack some of the more serious polish and general attention to detail that you guys strive for, not to mention my general lack of skill in piano performance; do you feel my work lacks in certain areas of pianism/general traits of "good writing (personal opinion)"? In terms of musical analysis, do you feel my arrangements are subpar, adequate, average, etc.?
9. Do you find that any of what I'm doing to be otherwise lacking in any musical or artistic merit?
10. Do you feel that what I am doing is in any way a disservice or otherwise disrespectful to the original works and their composers?

The main reason why I'm asking these questions is because while making these arrangements is a fun hobby, I put as much critical effort into them as I do my own original music. So much so that at the end of the day these are very much a part of my musical portfolio as any symphony I've ever written. Hell, I've written 68 unique arrangements over about 6 years' time, almost 6 hours worth of music altogether. Sure they very wildly in terms of quality and general styles and taste, but they are a not-so-insignificant part of my work as a composer. I plan on going into the video game industry as a composer, and some of these may very well end up on my portfolio, as the ability to arrange is a necessary skill set for any composer to have. At the end of the day I have to be able to say that what I've done here, beyond helping me grow as a composer in my own right, has artistic value and isn't seen as a merely "derivative" from the original; something that can stand in its own right as worthwhile. For those of you who take the time to answer any of these questions, thank you.

Zachary "Maestro" Loy,
Composer at Large

K-NiGhT

Idk man, I just love listening to your Virtuoso stuff. I sure as hell can't play it lol
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Latios212

I was going to take a more thorough look through your stuff, but you should probably update your links first.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

MaestroUGC

Most of my older stuff was hosted on Mediafire, because Dropbox wasn't a thing yet. I find a lot of my early arrangements to be less than adequate, so I haven't bothered fixing those links.

Sebastian

What I like: I don't pay much attention to your piano stuff but I love your orchestaral stuff. The uniqueness of them is amazing and how you arrange the instruments and how you use them.....I just love that. Your style of arranging is A+.
I don't really pay muh attention to the game series but just jump right in and listen because I know I'll get some enjoyment out of each arrangement. I would recommend doing more of games/series your fans are interested in and maybe have people that aren't fans make requests.....to keep it fresh.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PM7. Do you feel that what I do is overshadowing or otherwise taking away from what the other arrangers here are doing, especially considering that I don't contribute to the site?
Frankly, yes. Again, I really like your uniqueness in your arrangements and how you present them but you should have some balance. With all the talent you have it would be a shame not to contribute to the site which I think you should do! :)
Technically we aren't just transcribing.....that's why we call it arranging because we do add things to spice it up. That's why it'd be great if you contributed. And we are always here to help!

Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PM8. This is more intended for the arrangers here: Considering I lack some of the more serious polish and general attention to detail that you guys strive for, not to mention my general lack of skill in piano performance; do you feel my work lacks in certain areas of pianism/general traits of "good writing (personal opinion)"? In terms of musical analysis, do you feel my arrangements are subpar, adequate, average, etc.?
Hmmmmm.....90% of your stuff I think is very musically sound and think it's A+. I only notice on rare occasions some "subpar" stuff but that's mostly only in your older arrangements. Again, your stuff is great!

Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PM10. Do you feel that what I am doing is in any way a disservice or otherwise disrespectful to the original works and their
No. I really think the composers would be proud of what you have done with their work. Your originality, uniqueness, and creativity are what makes all your songs what they are.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMI plan on going into the video game industry as a composer, and some of these may very well end up on my portfolio, as the ability to arrange is a necessary skill set for any composer to have. At the end of the day I have to be able to say that what I've done here, beyond helping me grow as a composer in my own right, has artistic value and isn't seen as a merely "derivative" from the original; something that can stand in its own right as worthwhile. For those of you who take the time to answer any of these questions, thank you.
I honestly think you would be a great video game composer and would totally support you in that decision. We need more good video game composers that have their heads screwed on right and that are musically trained.

My biggest advice for you is to keep do what you're doing: Bringing excellent arrangements and compositions. I also think you should try contributing to the site more....."transcribing/arranging" is also a great skill to have and is fun because you get really in depth in each song that composers worked hard to make.....which is rewarding :P

Again, great work! :)

monkeybull223

1.  I like your music because I enjoy seeing what classic video game themes can become in the hands of a capable musician.  I like how you take these (sometimes) simple melodies and warp them into these monstrous masterpieces fit for Liszt himself.  I am amazed to see that someone has the creativity to even consider doing something like this.
2. This question doesn't apply to me.
3.  I don't really pay attention to the series (unless it is a Kanto Rhapsody).  If it is a tune that I am familiar with, I am excited to see what is done to it.
4.  When something new is posted, my usual reaction is "Yay! Let's see where this musical madman goes with this!" 
5. I like the redesigns and the classical infusions the most (my favorites from each being The Underworld Theme from Mario and The Floating Ship from Mario 3 respectively).  I like the redesigns because they require the arranger to be more creative with what kind of mood/imagery/style he/she is trying to convey.  The Underworld Theme redesign is a good example because it takes the ominous feel of being underground and surrounded by enemies and combines it with the similar concept within Dante's Inferno.  In the Floating Ship, I liked how you combined the bassline rhythm with the famous 5/4 rhythm from Mars from The Planets.  Doing something like that requires a thorough enough knowledge of classical music to pull influences and apply them well.
6.  I would love to see more of the Kanto Rhapsody series and maybe even branch out into the other Pokemon regions (Johto, Hoenn etc.).  Also Final Fantasy because the music there is already AMAZING and I feel you could do a lot of good with them.  I can't think of any series to stay away from.
7.  I don't see how the fact that none of your arrangements are on the site itself takes away from other arrangers.  One could easily say that you are more ambitious with your arrangements.  But don't think that it is overshadowing others, they do what they do with VG arrangements and you do what you do.
8.  Not a piano arranger.  Or a pianist.  I am a mallet percussionist.
9.  I am interpreting this question to be an extension of number 8.  As such, I don't feel qualified to answer properly.
10.  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  The way I see it, if someone wants to take an original melody or whatnot of mine and try to make it better in their own eyes I am all for it.  I would be honored that other's like my music enough to put their own unique spin on it.

I hope my answers were helpful.
Monkeybull223
Pokemon Master, Percussionist (Marimbist/Timpanist/Marching Snare and Tenors), BAND GEEK! and all around nice guy (at least i think so).

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMFor those of you who like what I do, why? What is it about the kind of arrangements I make that you like? Style? Technique?
I like that you take these themes and you expand on them, but they're still not RIDICULOUSLY hard, not along the lines of the Chopin etudes or anything. They have a lot of flash to them, with not nearly the gigantic technique required (though still virtuoso!).
Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMFor those of you who don't like my arrangements, why? Is it the way I present them? The fact that I alter these pieces at all?
Some of your themes I don't care for as much, mainly because it can be all build up with a meh payoff. Granted, I'm used to the climaxes of Liszt and Rachmaninoff (et. al) so maybe I'm just being unfair, but since these arrangements are often based off of them (one arrangement had a quote easily recognizable from Chopin's Heroic Polonaise), it seems a litter lackluster in some arrangements. Maybe I'm just being cynical.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMWhenever I post something new, what's the first thing you notice? The game/series I chose to do? Or do you ignore that and look to see what I did with it?
If I'm listening to your new arrangement, I've usually only clicked on it if it's something I know or know of. I have a limited favorite selection of themes, so usually I don't listen to them (though when I do listen to a new one, it's still fun- the Airship Theme from Mario being one of my favorites) if I don't know them.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMWhen I do post something new, what's your general reaction before you listen/see it?
Usually I check to see if I know it- If I don't and I want to view it anyways, I usually listen to the original first and then listen to yours.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMOf the arrangements I've made, which style do you prefer? A complete redesign of the original? Something more built on variations? Leaving it relatively unchanged but making it way flashier? Fusing VG music with more classically styled pieces?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PM Leaving it relatively unchanged but making it way flashier? Fusing VG music with more classically styled pieces?
This.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMWhich ones would you consider your favorite?
Which ones would you consider your least favorite?
Airship Theme, and Delfino Plaza respectively. I actually like Delfino, it just doesn't have all that much real major statement of the big theme. It has a couple sections but it goes out of those really quickly.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMNot that I'm taking requests, but what game/series would you like to see me work with? Which ones would you like me to stay as far away from?
A lot more Pokemon, but especially outside just the Kanto Rhapsodies.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMDo you feel that what I do is overshadowing or otherwise taking away from what the other arrangers here are doing, especially considering that I don't contribute to the site?
A little bit; I'd like to see more of your regular arrangements, and see you more active on giving advice (though IIRC you have quite a bit in the past), but as far as I'm concerned you're doing great doing what you're doing.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMThis is more intended for the arrangers here: Considering I lack some of the more serious polish and general attention to detail that you guys strive for, not to mention my general lack of skill in piano performance; do you feel my work lacks in certain areas of pianism/general traits of "good writing (personal opinion)"? In terms of musical analysis, do you feel my arrangements are subpar, adequate, average, etc.?
Some of the "flashy" effects (and I mean very few, here), such as the tremolos in Delfino Plaza, are very easily created in Finale, but not so well translated at the ridiculously fast speeds (though I've managed to find workarounds for most of them)
Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMDo you find that any of what I'm doing to be otherwise lacking in any musical or artistic merit?
Just most of the stuff I've already said.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMDo you feel that what I am doing is in any way a disservice or otherwise disrespectful to the original works and their composers?
No, and even if it was, I wouldn't care. That's the beauty of freedom of speech and freedom of expression, haha!

Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 20, 2015, 08:59:55 PMThe main reason why I'm asking these questions is because while making these arrangements is a fun hobby, I put as much critical effort into them as I do my own original music. So much so that at the end of the day these are very much a part of my musical portfolio as any symphony I've ever written. Hell, I've written 68 unique arrangements over about 6 years' time, almost 6 hours worth of music altogether. Sure they very wildly in terms of quality and general styles and taste, but they are a not-so-insignificant part of my work as a composer. I plan on going into the video game industry as a composer, and some of these may very well end up on my portfolio, as the ability to arrange is a necessary skill set for any composer to have. At the end of the day I have to be able to say that what I've done here, beyond helping me grow as a composer in my own right, has artistic value and isn't seen as a merely "derivative" from the original; something that can stand in its own right as worthwhile. For those of you who take the time to answer any of these questions, thank you.

Zachary "Maestro" Loy,
Composer at Large
I look forward to seeing your work!
what is shitpost

MaestroUGC

Wow, it's been over a year since my last piano arrangement. Whoops.

[GB] Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow-"Pokémon Gym-Wild Pokémon Battle."-Kanto Rhapsody No. 3-MaestroUGC ZIP

"Not too long after my arrival I found myself swept up in some sort of festival. There were all manner of personalities around, and the event seemed to center on a great tournament. We were ushered into a massive coliseum, a beautifully decorated building that seemed more designed like a cathedral and a sports arena. The audience went into a frenzied state as the band played an anthem while a parade participants walked the field, sided by these astounding and somewhat bewildering creatures. I think there was a child there, too; couldn't have been much older than ten years.

Then two of the contestants took their places at opposite sides of the field, summoned their creatures, which I later learned were called "Pokémon", and proceeded to have them mercilessly attack each other in what could only be compared to something akin to dog fighting. All the while the crowd would scream and shout, and often break into a chant, and the band would even contribute to their musical cues! It was a wild mess.

Needless to say I was appalled, but intrigued as what seemed like a barbaric blood sport actually turned out to be something of a complex chess game. The trainers would size up their opponent's team and strategize their eventual victories.

The real surprise was at the end of the tournament, the child managed to soundly defeat his much older and more experienced opponents with nothing more than some sort of electrified mouse. As he took center stage the other competitors returned to the field, with their Pokémon in tow and in seemingly good health. I'm not sure what arcane magic they practice here to accomplish that,  but the candy they kept throwing at the audience had a surprisingly revitalizing nature, so maybe they've figured something out here. It tasted terrible though.

The following day the locals seemed to return to normal, as though the tournament never happened. Someone later informed me that these things happen pretty routinely, more or less whenever the local zoologists discover new species from different regions. That evening I left for home, and I found myself humming some of the local folk songs I heard while on my journey, perhaps I'll write them down one day and play them for my friends.

I think those candies made me ill, I should probably see a doctor first..."

Taken from the journal of Zachary "Maestro" Loy, Digimusicologist, circa May-July, 2015

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Good ideas, but some parts with the LH octaves are completely unplayable :P
A good example is 1:26
what is shitpost