MaestroUGC's Virtuoso Submissions *Nihil*

Started by MaestroUGC, June 18, 2009, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreekGeek

Maybe I misunderstood. Sorry in that case. But I think Maestro's arrangement is cool, but maybe not the goal of this site if I may say so. It is cool to have some hard sheets, but the use of this site is to provide playable sheet music to people and not to make impossible master pieces.

That's just my opinion, sorry.

Cobraroll

^But we already have a playable version of the song, why not have a hard one as well? After all, game music is a growing music genre, a famous Norwegian concert pianist played the Super Mario Theme (funnily enough the same piece as submitted here) at a concert, something that would have been unheard of a few years ago.

The Super Mario Theme in particular is a famous song, perhaps the best recognised game music piece ever. Many people like it and want to play it, and there are few places to find this song outside the Internet. And as stated in the News header, NSM is the largest game music sheet archive on the net, so people searching will find us quite early in their search. We are available to the masses by offering relatively-easy-to-play music, why not appeal to the experts as well? Cover the entire spectrum, from beginners to veterans? If people want to find game music to play, NSM should have sheets for them, even if they are playing piano for the first time, or they are famous pianists looking for a final number at their next concert.

It's not like it's obscure music UGC's arranging either, all these songs are well-known by gamers, loved by many, and bring back happy memories to even more. If a pro wants to play game music at a concert, chances are that s/he'll decide to play one of these songs. I agree that it may be unnecessary to have pro versions of every song on site, but we should have a few of the best-known, those that the man on the street will recognise.
All sorts of people want to play these songs, as stated earlier, they are amongst the most famous of the genre. Which means, people from the entire talent spectrum want to try them. If the pro version is too hard for them, then go for the easy one, if they want a challenge, try the pro version. Most of our other songs do fine with only a single version, but those monumental songs deserve more. And if we are able to give them that, we should.

That was my two cents, at least. Hope you understood my points, when I write long posts, the grammar and sentence structure tends to go haywire.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

MaestroUGC

Thanks for stating my argument.

But to add on, my arrangements are, as I call them, a la Cziffra, or in the style of Cziffra. For those of you who don't know who I'm talking about I recomend that you watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf2accwGEaU

I wanted to capture his flare when playing, so, as previously stated, they're intended to attract people of greater abilities, and something for others to shoot for.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

ALPRAS

Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 19, 2009, 01:14:55 PMThanks for stating my argument.

But to add on, my arrangements are, as I call them, a la Cziffra, or in the style of Cziffra. For those of you who don't know who I'm talking about I recomend that you watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf2accwGEaU

I wanted to capture his flare when playing, so, as previously stated, they're intended to attract people of greater abilities, and something for others to shoot for.

Simple version: They make different type of arrangements.

MaestroUGC

QuoteSimple version: They make different type of arrangements.
You've seen my arrangements, simple isn't in my vocabulary. Besides I needed an example to show what I was intending on doing.

ALPRAS

Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 19, 2009, 01:37:01 PM
QuoteSimple version: They make different type of arrangements.
You've seen my arrangements, simple isn't in my vocabulary. Besides I needed an example to show what I was intending on doing.

Lol, I said simple version of what Cobraroll said xD
Example like what? (I didnt get the phrase... Im not english, sorry :/)

MaestroUGC

ALPRAS

In my opinion, you should keep working like that :) We should increase the quality of our arrangements, and to make it happen, we have to create harder and full arrangements. Im on your side, buddy  ;)

dahans

WOW intense arrangments! They are really nice, but impossible to play. I love your contrapuntal style, it's a good training for the left hand ;). But concerning overworld super mario bros 2: Isn't it a third too low?
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

ALPRAS

Quote from: dahans on June 19, 2009, 03:03:42 PMWOW intense arrangments! They are really nice, but impossible to play. I love your contrapuntal style, it's a good training for the left hand ;). But concerning overworld super mario bros 2: Isn't it a third too low?

Its playable. ive already played it :P But we need to have great pianistic skills to play it...

MasterPenguin

Not sure about you guys, but I think you've got an overactive imagination for those chords. Perhaps I'm wrong - probably am - but parts of the songs (underwater/smb3 athletic), just don't sound right to me. Let's just take a quick look at the start of athletics.

Bar 3. Right hand. That top note just screws with my head, and it just doesn't seem to fit in well. Yes - it may be the same note as the one an octave below, but then (at least to me,) it throws the emphasis off onto the wrong note. It's like saying sylables as syl-ables, it just doesn't sound right. When I hear the song in my head, I don't put emphasis on the harmony. You listen to the melody, with having the harmony in the background, not with the harmony as its melody. I'd say get rid of those top notes, or swap them. Quick pics of what I mean, third bar:

You got some great talent, especially if you did all these by ear. Feel free to ignore me - as I'm never going to play this song, being quite out of my range. Just trying to throw my opinion out there.

MaestroUGC

Hmm, this may just a case of different interpretations.

I did that with the athletic theme to make playing easier, becuase what you're suggesting will create discomfort and overcrowding.

On the underwater theme, if you've ever studied waltzes, or at least Strauss, the harmony is not a harmony, but rather an equal part of the melody. Yeah the melody itself needs to to still be heard, but revoicing to what you're saying will make it sound forced and akward.

I've taken every thing regarding ability and timbre into consideration, besides it's still left up to the player how to play it, I know I add or change notes for certain pieces. I respect your criticisms and I'll keep them in mind for the future.

Nana1Popo2

we have some amazing arrangments/ers this year O_o

and ive only listened to the first two songs
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

GreekGeek

Quote from: ALPRAS on June 19, 2009, 03:20:48 PMIts playable. ive already played it :P But we need to have great pianistic skills to play it...
Okay, that was a little too much self esteem Antonio, sorry :P
I agree it are great arrangements, but I keep things realistic. Sorry if you feel hurt, that wasn't why I said it.

MasterPenguin

I fail to see how removing notes creates overcrowding.  :P