MaestroUGC's Virtuoso Submissions *Nihil*

Started by MaestroUGC, June 18, 2009, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

universe-X

Really, I don't think there's any problems with these arrangements. Sure, there's some notes wrong, maybe. Then again, so do plenty of songs on site. I'm not sure if that's the "remixed" part. These songs are meant for virtuosos. People who have spent decades playing piano or have mastered both hands at piano. I say let these songs go on site. Some variety won't hurt and NSM now offers something that most sites don't ;)

Dude

universe-X

Also, "we" should stop hijacking this topic xS Really?

You're telling this topic to move, there's plenty large-ass posts on it, but whatever :P

Tangy

Your definition of arranging is half right. Arranging can be the same as transcribing (which is what you're describing), but it can also be different than transcribing, in that it can be changed. You can add new melodies, new harmonies, new notes, new keys, etc. Regardless of what a remix is, what he's doing is arranging. If the definitions intertwine, then fine. I can't find the definition of a remix that you just described anywhere, but it doesn't matter. o_o

MasterPenguin

QuoteA remix is an alternate mix of a song different from the original version

Source.

pumpy_heart

As you have said many times, if you don't care if these get uploaded to the site, why post them here?
That's all I'm commenting on. Leaving the opinions from both sides out of it.

Bloop

Gooch

This is complete foolishness. These ARRANGEMENTS are actually making it on site. As much as I hate this analogy, lets think of the American Idol try-outs. One of the things they say more often than not is "You took that song and made it your own, and I like that!" What does that mean? It means that you took a song and gave it YOUR OWN FLAIR! That is all Maestro is doing: taking a song, laying down the actually melody, and then working himself up from that melody to give it his own flair. If a person hears a song and perfectly recreates it, we say "Wow! He has a damned good ear!" On the flip side, if a person hears the song, recreates it, and then takes it even farther, we say "Wow! He's a damned good ARRANGER!"

I've stood by Maestro from square one. There is no way in Hell I'm going to be able to nail some of these tunes. However, like someone said previously, that doesn't mean we cant use them. In a lot of situations where I was doing things for Band, I used his songs more like templates. Way back when (and before my comp crashed) someone in my section wanted a Tetris theme done for the Sax that he could play in his spare time. I took the A and B theme, threw them together, and it was pretty good. Then I started thinking about Maestro's Tetris theme (that I'm not dextrous enough to play on piano) and took some of the runs out of his theme, and put them into my sax arrangement. I added another alto and tenor part, and all of a sudden, the piece was sounding much better, not overly difficult through-and-through, but still had that challenging area in it to make it both nostaligic and FUN! He was overjoyed. I see no problem with his arrangements, nor having them on the Submission forum. It's been on here for months, and you are the first admin basically telling him to trash everything because it is garbage. Not only should this be a place where pianists of ANY skill level could come to find music to play that challenges them, but also a place where we can embrace however a member chooses to arrange music. This is supposed to be a family-like environment where can all operate in harmony, not some horrible Dictatorship that dictates what you can write and what you can't. These are Arrangements, and some of them have made it on site, so I think if he wants to submit them, he was no reason why he can't if they are arrangements of video game music.

MaestroUGC

Quote from: Bloop on July 05, 2010, 09:55:49 AMHey MaestroUGC, I maked one Virtuoso Arrangement... maybe you will look at it?
http://www.mediafire.com/?vmjqordqmn1

I like this arrangement, but I want to point out a couple of things:
1) When making chords, try not to go beyond a ninth, maybe a tenth but use it sparingly.
2) The arpeggios in the left hand are good, but the initial chords make them a bit excessive.
3) I love the glissandos in the right hand, though because of the structure of the arrangement, it might be better to put in grace notes. That way the player doesn't drag his finger down and still have to play the note an octave above.

Its a nice arrangement, but I still think there is much more you can do with it, keep trying.

Also, thank you Gooch.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

MasterPenguin

Quote from: Gooch on July 05, 2010, 11:28:48 AMIt's been on here for months, and you are the first admin basically telling him to trash everything because it is garbage.

We should set a few things straight. I'm not an Admin - never have been, never will. I have absolutely no power over this site, relating to what music is accepted, denied, put aside, anything along those lines. So what I say doesn't and shouldn't reflect the other staffs view. Now, let's focus on that garbage comment. Me & Maestro had talked over the chat for quite some time (or at least I was talking, and him ignoring me. I have no clue.) And we went through several of his songs, picking out errors. With one song having way over 50 mistakes. Well, okay, that's fine and dandy.. Let's submit songs with huge gaping errors in them. Yes. You support adding songs with errors? Hypocrite much. An example I've seen before. A guy arranged a song in the wrong key. CRAP. Guess what happened to him? He redid the song, in the correct key. What's Maestro going to do? Nothing.

Quote from: Gooch on July 05, 2010, 11:28:48 AMThis is complete foolishness. These ARRANGEMENTS are actually making it on site.

You know, it's been awhile since I've seen someone be this ignorant. I have shown, and explained the definition of ARRANGEMENTS 9 posts back. I suggest you re-read my post if you're still in doubt.

Quote from: Gooch on July 05, 2010, 11:28:48 AMThis is complete foolishness. These ARRANGEMENTS are actually making it on site. As much as I hate this analogy, lets think of the American Idol try-outs. One of the things they say more often than not is "You took that song and made it your own, and I like that!" What does that mean? It means that you took a song and gave it YOUR OWN FLAIR! That is all Maestro is doing: taking a song, laying down the actually melody, and then working himself up from that melody to give it his own flair. If a person hears a song and perfectly recreates it, we say "Wow! He has a damned good ear!" On the flip side, if a person hears the song, recreates it, and then takes it even farther, we say "Wow! He's a damned good ARRANGER!"

You see, your goal and the sites goals are different, and that is why you are wrong. You see, as I said in my first critique, I said I was fine with "adding your own flair." Other members on this site do this all the time - and generally it works out great, good for them. But wait. This is where the difference comes in with Maestro. He didn't just change the song a bit, or anything along that line. He did a complete remix - pages of it. So how many of you came to this site thinking "I want a remix of XY song! This site obviously has it!" No. This site is dedicated to making ARRANGEMENTS (remember I told you to read its DEFINITION?), not remixes. How about I give you a concrete example? Why don't we google Nintendo Sheet Music Remix. Where's NSM? I have no clue - nowhere near the front, I can tell you that. How about when you google Nintendo Sheet Music. Holy crap, there it is! Oh noes.

Quote from: Gooch on July 05, 2010, 11:28:48 AMThis is supposed to be a family-like environment where can all operate in harmony, not some horrible Dictatorship that dictates what you can write and what you can't.

This is a dictatorship. It is run by people who decide if you music is crap, or if it isn't. If it's crap, it gets rejected, if it's not, it's accepted. You as a community don't decide if it's good or not, or else every song you've arranged would already be on the website. But yes, it is a family-like environment. Families are fine in a dictatorship.

Quote from: Gooch on July 05, 2010, 11:28:48 AMso I think if he wants to submit them, he was no reason why he can't if they are arrangements of video game music.

I've given you plenty reasons. Remember the dictatorship.

Questions?

universe-X

Yeah, I have a question. You chose a song that wasn't really all that good in the first place. Can you try choosing a song like Tetris or Super Mario Bros. Overworld and tell me what's wrong with those (primarily in terms of sound)? You need to be open to more styles instead of simple arrangements.

Also, Maestro doesn't care if these songs get on NSM. He puts them here because they're a different, more advanced version of a current song and are made to his liking and he looks for opinions. That is all.

Offkey

Quote from: MasterPenguin on July 05, 2010, 02:41:55 PMQuestions?

Not really a question as much as a remark. Googling "nintendo sheet music" doesn't yield this website at all. The old domain, now spammed with ads does appear though. It's the first hit if I search for "ninsheetmusic". How is this possible? Are the tags set properly?

Guess this is pretty offtopic and you probably aren't the right person to ask this, but that's what came to my mind :p
The flow of time is always cruel... its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days...

Youtube channel.
Video's coming soon(ish).

MasterPenguin

Quote from: universe-X on July 05, 2010, 03:16:40 PMYeah, I have a question. You chose a song that wasn't really all that good in the first place. Can you try choosing a song like Tetris or Super Mario Bros. Overworld and tell me what's wrong with those (primarily in terms of sound)? You need to be open to more styles instead of simple arrangements.

I've got nothing much against them. They're accepted, so that says enough. ::)

Quote from: universe-X on July 05, 2010, 03:16:40 PMYou need to be open to more styles instead of simple arrangements.

I'm quite open to styles, but not remixes.

Quote from: Offkey on July 05, 2010, 03:17:50 PMNot really a question as much as a remark. Googling "nintendo sheet music" doesn't yield this website at all. The old domain, now spammed with ads does appear though. It's the first hit if I search for "ninsheetmusic". How is this possible? Are the tags set properly

Ask Jamaha. I'm the wrong person, as you said.

HugoMeister

Quote from: universe-X on July 05, 2010, 03:16:40 PMAlso, Maestro doesn't care if these songs get on NSM. He puts them here because they're a different, more advanced version of a current song and are made to his liking and he looks for opinions. That is all.

Yes, because the topic name "Virtuoso Submissions" totally doesn't mean "Virtuoso Submissions."

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Dude

Isn't the point of NSM to provide video game sheet music as close to the original as possible without shitty add-ons? Or am I missing something here?