News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

What are you playing right now?

Started by ALPRAS, July 14, 2009, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSM-Reapr

In here it's cheaper to buy from eShop, by 5 euros. ;D Dunno which version to buy.

SlowPokemon

All right, so I'm currently playing two games:

9 Persons 9 Hours 9 Doors
I'm on my fourth playthrough right now, so far I've gotten three horribly grotesque endings and I'm really hoping this time I fare better. But I think this game is definitely the most intelligent I've ever played on a handheld--maybe even ever. You know how Layton games put a LOT of thought into their stories, characters, and puzzles? This game is the same--although with its M-rating it feels simultaneously grittier, more realistic, and engaging--in Layton there's never any doubt everything will turn out okay. Here, you have that feeling that you're in danger most of the game. Shadoninja advised me--"don't play it at night." I didn't heed his advice, but I'd pass it on in a heartbeat. This game is really creepy--the storyline is sickening and horrifying, and there are even a few "jump moments."

I'd also recommend not starting it unless you have a few days off ahead of you--because for a while this game will consume your life. There are six endings, and you can't understand the story unless you see all of them or at least most of them. You'll finish the first time feeling confused and maybe like it isn't wrapped up enough, so you'll immediately start it again. And then again. And then again. And so on and so forth. Helpfully, there's a fast forward system implemented after you finish once where you can skip through scenes you've already viewed in previous playthroughs,

If you like a good plotline, and don't mind lots of swearing or graphic descriptions of violence (which aren't pictured), you should get this visual novel/puzzle game as soon as possible.

New Super Mario Bros. 2
Well, this game couldn't be farther from the other, but whatevs. I'm a huge NSMB junkie, I loved both the first and the Wii edition. I played this game a lot today--I've already seen the ending (which won't take anyone more than a few hours as there are only six main worlds). It's brilliant. It's more of the same, but the same is high quality stuff. The graphics are as good as the Wii, and are only enhanced by the 3D effect which blurs out the background to make it more realistic. And the music is about as high quality as the Wii--well, EXACTLY as high quality as the Wii. Every single piece in this game is taken from the Wii version. Every. Single. Piece. Including the Title and the Credits, as well as even the world maps. They take the exact same song, and add a layer or two to make it different enough to distinguish itself. These remixes sound great, and I really enjoyed most of them (except the Athletic Theme which really grated on my nerves), but it would have been nice to hear a bit of new music. As far as gameplay goes, there's the obligatory chain chomp level and other staples from the series, but there's also a lot more innovation than in the Wii installment. You'll likely laugh the first time you see red coins parachute from the sky or watch Blockhead Mario produce coins every time he dashes or jumps.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of coins. Yes, they're everywhere. The entire GAME is fueled by coins, as the main goal is to collect a million. And by the time I finished the first six worlds, I had roughly 12,000. Wheee. This isn't going to be a small feat, but things like the Gold Flower, Blockhead Mario, Golden Rings, and Coin Rush mode certainly speed up the process.

The bosses are the most creative I've ever seen in the series, similarly to the first NSMB, which was a shock as I expected every end of the world castle to include a basic Koopaling battle. Another thing--thank you thank you THANK YOU Nintendo for not including Airships. Those were the bane of NSMBW and SM3DL.

Overall, yeah I'm happy with this game even though it's similar to the previous games. Nintendo added quite a few new aspects, but still wisely remembers "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Roz~

Yes 999 looks so great I'll def get it when I'm not broke.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Pit0010

ohhhhH!! 999!

I heard of that like...a few months ago! i really wanna try it! coz it has alternate endings and great suspense hehe
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

blueflower999

999? Wow, I must check this out.

*Looks up on Wikipedia*

Meh. It's rated M. Not for me.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Don't dismiss it for that reason, it's not like other rated M games. The only reason for its rating is because there's a fair bit of swearing (not nearly as bad as what you'd typically see on this forum), and a small amount of violence which isn't even shown beyond text descriptions. A 13/14 year old could handle it easily, and if you care a lot about plot then it's a must play. I think that it's rated M partly because most younger kids would find it boring. So don't just dismiss it because of its rating.

blueflower999

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 25, 2012, 04:35:53 PMDon't dismiss it for that reason, it's not like other rated M games. The only reason for its rating is because there's a fair bit of swearing (not nearly as bad as what you'd typically see on this forum), and a small amount of violence which isn't even shown beyond text descriptions. A 13/14 year old could handle it easily, and if you care a lot about plot then it's a must play. I think that it's rated M partly because most younger kids would find it boring. So don't just dismiss it because of its rating.
It's plot oriented? Then I may have to reconsider. I love plot oriented games.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

It's 70% visual novel, which is just reading through text and dialogue (with music and sound effects), and 30% puzzle solving.

the_last_sheikah

So I started a new game in Dragon Quest IX, made my team based on my friends, fought through the Bridgadoom level, got to Coffinwell, and all the sad memories of this game came rushing back.  This was a bad idea, I'm gunna cry like a baby for the rest of the game.
You see, we're entertainers. We must keep people smiling. No matter how grim things get, we must always be optimistic!

Shadoninja

Quote from: the_last_sheikah on August 26, 2012, 06:19:34 PMSo I started a new game in Dragon Quest IX, made my team based on my friends, fought through the Bridgadoom level, got to Coffinwell, and all the sad memories of this game came rushing back.  This was a bad idea, I'm gunna cry like a baby for the rest of the game.
DQIX is such an awesome game. I remember getting stuck at that Dark Knight because I didn't know you could hire other party members.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

K-NiGhT

DQIX IS MY FAVORITE GAME EVER. OF ALL TIME.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Zunawe

<----I've restarted the game about 4 times now.
I went through about four bosses without other party members before I figured out how to do that. . .

Got Snake Eater yesterday, and the Circle Pad Pro for my birthday. It's a fun game. There are secret Yoshis
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Pit0010

sigh....still havent got the time to touch shadow of the colossus
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

FluteNinja

Quote from: Zunawe on August 26, 2012, 06:39:18 PM<----I've restarted the game about 4 times now.
I went through about four bosses without other party members before I figured out how to do that. . .

Got Snake Eater yesterday, and the Circle Pad Pro for my birthday. It's a fun game. There are secret Yoshis

I want to get it so bad but my dad will not let me played Mature games -_-
Quote from: garlicbananas on July 09, 2012, 08:10:42 PM
Birth of a Child: Holy Diver - Dio
As fog pours out of the womb, my baby emerges with sword in hand and unleashing his battlecry.  Just like his old man.