What are you playing right now?

Started by ALPRAS, July 14, 2009, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Dude on November 26, 2013, 11:44:36 AMway to sound like every other nintendo fanboy ever. ::)

Well it's my actual opinion so thanks I guess ^-^
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

blueflower999

Sometimes I'm glad I'm not the only Nintendo fanboy in the world.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Yugi

I am currently playing:
  • Crono Trigger (DS Version)
  • The World Ends With You
  • OFF

KefkaticFanatic

But Mario is not Batman therefore it cannot be as good

And you really can't compare the games as one is just a super core platformer and the other is open world adventure with various items to give puzzles and enhance combat.  Mario 64 is just a classic title as it was one of the first solid 3D adventure games (as far as I know..)  Not that it isn't good, it's just not something you can compare well at all.

Anyway I got Metal Gear Solid Legacy collection and am playing through those atm.  Already had completed MGS1 before and just now finished MGS2.  Fantastic game with a lot of surprisingly thought provoking themes.  Starting 3 now... but probably won't touch it much until next week when finals wind down..

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on December 05, 2013, 06:33:24 PMBut Mario is not Batman therefore it cannot be as good

And you really can't compare the games as one is just a super core platformer and the other is open world adventure with various items to give puzzles and enhance combat.  Mario 64 is just a classic title as it was one of the first solid 3D adventure games (as far as I know..)  Not that it isn't good, it's just not something you can compare well at all.

Lololol you're wrong on all accounts, especially that you can't compare it with anything. There's a reason that the rerelease was my favorite game on the DS for a long time as a ten year old. The game still holds up just as well compared to modern games, and I can safely say it is much more fun that arkham asylum which is 90% mindless button mashing.

KefkaticFanatic

1) I said those specific two games because of the reasons I listed which you didn't read
2) If you were button mashing you weren't playing the game properly and didn't understand the combat mechanics (relate this to people that manage to succeed through dumb luck button mashing in SSBM, though of course that is a good deal more complex..)

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on December 05, 2013, 10:02:51 PM1) I said those specific two games because of the reasons I listed which you didn't read
2) If you were button mashing you weren't playing the game properly and didn't understand the combat mechanics

1. I read your reasons, it's just that they were wrong???? You said that it's "just a core platformer" even though the puzzle work in that game is some of the cleverest I've seen in any game and certainly more interesting. It's definitely more open world than Arkham Asylum l0l. In addition, you basically said that even though Mario is praised a classic, it was just revolutionary in its field and good for its time, and as such can't be compared favorably to more modern games. While I'd agree with that 100% regarding games like Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 is not just the FIRST of its kind, it was also the LAST of its kind, meaning the extent of its greatness haven't been reached in any 3D platformer since (except by later Mario games such as Super Mario Galaxy 2). If you give Super Mario 64 to someone who's familiar with modern games of 2013, they'd find it just as enthralling as someone in 1996 would.

2. No, Arkham Asylum was a cakewalk and button mashing was pretty much the extent of the combat. lol it's quite a good game, but it's far from a masterpiece.

KefkaticFanatic

I don't think you understand what I mean by an "open-world" game, but that is understandable given you seem to only have experience with Nintendo systems and I can't think of many that originate there.  I suppose you could consider games like SM64 and Banjo Kazooie/Tooie as precursors to the modern interpretation of that, but they really aren't quite the same.  What is now open world is in some ways an evolution of that style of gameplay.

And no, that is not at all what I said.  My point is your comparison on what game is better lies inherently in "well i like it better so its a better game", ignoring the core differences in the gameplay and design.  Games you can compare in such a fashion are ones with much more similarities, such as the standard definition of an FPS, or standard definition of an open-world i.e. Arkham, Assassin's Creed, Infamous, Saint's Row, GTA, etc etc etc.  There are variations of course in how each operate, but many have similar aspects like the large areas to explore, various things to collect, quests and sidequests, and in some cases similar combat systems.

I wouldn't consider the mere fact that SM64 has aged well a basic fact of it being 'better' than other games.  It it simply that, a very good game that has aged well.  You can favor it over others because of preference, nostalgia goggles, or whatever else, but pretending it is objectively better for those reasons is just incorrect.

And I suppose I do have to explain it to you.  While it is possible to brute force your way through the easier difficulties (as is true with many games), you are much more successful (and it is much more enjoyable), when you learn how to time attacks and blocks to keep your combo up, weave in your gadgets for variety and advantage in certain situations, and (at least in the later games) strategically executing the high combo special attacks.

And there's the predator sequences (which can again be somewhat brute forced through on low difficulty) that there is just no possible comparison to with a much more basic title like SM64.  All in all the "modern" style game like AA is a much more complex creation, as are many of the "modern" games you seem to loathe.  If for some reason you are unable to enjoy anything besides the Nintendo iteration cycle, then that's your deal, but don't go on and start saying all modern games are bad because they aren't Zelda or Mario.

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Yes binacle that is exactly what I said, I hate modern games and Zelda and Mario are the only good games in existence

I give up lol

blueflower999

I truly believe that in 30 years, people will look back much more fondly on Super Mario 64 than on games like Saint's Row, the Batman games, GTA, and the like.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

mikey

unmotivated

Olimar12345

It already says a lot if you guys who didn't even grow up with the 64 can appreciate it.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

Yo I grew up with an NES.  My parents were too cheap to get me an N64 :P
unmotivated

Yugi

Fun Fact: In 1994, a JRPG for the SNES was released, it got negitive reviews, mostly for it's tedious dungeon crawling and utterly horrid battle system.

This game was Earthbound, a game that is now virtually immune to criticism, and is regarded as one of the greatest RPG's of all time.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!