News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

What are you playing right now?

Started by ALPRAS, July 14, 2009, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Oh that reminds me. I 100%ed Super Mario 64 on my Wii U today. That's such a good game like. It's true that the controls are way outdated but there's no denying its an excellent game. I had never completed the N64 version 100% before so I can check that off the list!
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

Pppffffffffffffffft whaaaat? Smg2 was linear as fuck and the OST consisted of three okay new tracks and one okay remix. Galaxy 1 was revolutionary, had much more of an ost(with more orchestra), introduced a memorable new character, actually had a story(and a damn good one) and didn't feel like a tacky as fuck 1.5 version with more levels slapped together.

Ninjad - pretend we're still talking about smg2
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

Quote from: Olimar12345 on April 13, 2015, 08:57:43 PMPppffffffffffffffft whaaaat? Smg2 was linear as fuck and the OST consisted of three okay new tracks and one okay remix. Galaxy 1 was revolutionary, had much more of an ost, introduced a memorable new character, actually had a story(and a damn good one) and didn't feel like a tacky as fuck 1.5 version with more levels slapped together.
high five!
lol
unmotivated

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Maelstrom

I'm with Oli on this one.
In addition, you had to look pretty hard to get stars for the locks before the boss of each world. I never had that happen in Galaxy 1

Latios212

I won't pick one over the other; Galaxy definitely has a better story (and the Comet Observatory!), but Galaxy 2 has SO MANY GREEN STARS
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

fingerz

I haven't played much of SMG1 at all, but I've watched my friend play quite a large portion of it. Plus, he kept getting me to try all of the hardest levels 'cause he knows how much I hate the control scheme for those games. :P

I have played up to World 4 so far in SMG2 and I must say it's not the most pleasant experience. A lot of the levels are rather tricky to find things in and are awfully narrow, making for someone as derpy as me to constantly lose lives... And the fact that all your lives reset when you end the game shits me.

ANYWAYS, it's got an annoyingly difficult edge to it that's not in the slightest bit remorseful. I keep hearing these damn Lumas say "PLAY WITH SOMEONE ELSE, IT'S FUN." and my response to that is "IT'S THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN PLAY WITHOUT RAGE-QUITTING, YOU ASSHOLES!"  >:(

So yeah, I don't have a very high opinion of the Galaxy series due to that. But, as I will point out, it's literally based around SMG2. What I've seen/played of SMG1 is MUCH nicer than anything from number 2. I'd probably enjoy playing that one... If I felt like playing one of those games again. Maybe at some point down the track.
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

KefkaticFanatic

How was SMG1 not linear?  I haven't played 2, but 1 was always a single path with maybe an inconsequential second one that was just as hand-held as the other one.  Sure they gave it enough variety to not completely feel like you were walking down a long pathway to the end, but it would be silly to say it wasn't linear.

me irl
[close]

mikey

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on April 14, 2015, 02:51:37 AMHow was SMG1 not linear?  I haven't played 2, but 1 was always a single path with maybe an inconsequential second one that was just as hand-held as the other one.  Sure they gave it enough variety to not completely feel like you were walking down a long pathway to the end, but it would be silly to say it wasn't linear.
we never said it wasn't but SMG2 literally WAS walking down a long pathway to the end, at least SMG was more checklist based, do it in any order you want
unmotivated

Sebastian

The only thing I don't like about Galaxy 2 is the music. Galaxy 1 has better music.....
But I like everything else about 2

Maelstrom

Simply, the mechanics felt fresh in galaxy 1. They felt stale in 2. It just didn't do anything that felt quite as original or epic as 1.

MaestroUGC

Haven't not played Galaxy 2 yet, I can say the Galaxy 1 isn't as great as previous Mario titles. Sure it's neat and looks pretty, but it was a huge step back from the open, explore-able worlds of 64 and Sunshine. Galaxy actually railroads you pretty hard to do the set objective compared to 64 and as such a lot of the challenge element from the series was stripped because of it. Galaxy came across more as an old-school Mario platformer with a new candy wrapper.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

Actually if there's one thing I don't understand it's the hate on SMG2's soundtrack... it's pretty objectively better than the first's.

After playing Super Mario 64 again though I do understand why everyone is clamoring for an open world experience. That game almost feels like Zelda with the amount of puzzling and exploring you have to do within the game's world. It was lovely actually. The newer titles are far more accessible to the average player though so I can understand why they've been making linear games since Galaxy (yes Nocturne, Galaxy is incredibly linear even if it's disguised as an open world game).
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

No one here made the comment that super Mario Galaxy was NOT linear. We were comparing the two, and said that smg2 was MORE linear than the first one.

And I don't understand how you came to that conclusion when you formed your opinion about the music. All of smg music sounds essentially like smg1 music; they simply reused their formula for creating the pieces. The ost consisted of more remixes, and even reused some smg1 music.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Olimar12345 on April 14, 2015, 08:48:54 AMAnd I don't understand how you came to that conclusion when you formed your opinion about the music. All of smg music sounds essentially like smg1 music; they simply reused their formula for creating the pieces. The ost consisted of more remixes, and even reused some smg1 music.
Basically this. It didn't differentiate itself enough.

I understand why you don't like the linearity of Galaxy, but, imo, it felt fresh and unique. While you couldn't explore environments like SM64, there were so many more, and each felt totally unique, with a few exceptions. Galaxy 2 took away some of the absolute wonder the first game gave me, and decided to make up for it with a boring world map and Lubba. I still hate that guy.