What are you playing right now?

Started by ALPRAS, July 14, 2009, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

mikey

I've heard good things about it
unmotivated

blueflower999

Quote from: TheDreamingHawk on May 24, 2015, 06:36:52 PMLately I've been playing Mega Man Battle Network 2 On my Wii U lately. Pretty good so far, and I'm really enjoying the series. (I beat the first game on VC a while ago so I'm doing as much of the series as I can on Wii U.) After 2 I'll go for BN 3 White, then Battle Chip Challenge, and then BN4 Blue Moon.

I'm playing through the first one and it's challenging and confusing but fun. The music is pretty great and I like the homages to the classic series.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Echo

Playing through the Mass Effect series again. Forgot how long those games are though, so probably gonna take me a while.

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 20, 2015, 10:06:15 AMAnyway, I was bored so I put together a list of games I need to beat/play over the summer:
Fire Emblem Awakening (Hard Mode) Radiant Hero

Just get a Sorcerer, then equip Nosferatu and Vantage. >_>

QuoteFire Emblem 7

I dunno if you care about full story completion and stuff, but if you do, definitely get a guide for the side-quest requirements and stuff. A couple of the requirements are pretty vague, like "have 'X' character be at least a certain level by 'Y' chapter, then do 'Z' in a side-quest to unlock another side-quest," etc. You'll need to do at least a couple of playthroughs to see everything, but all the story content was worth it to me, and it's still my favourite of the localized games.

Quote from: TheDreamingHawk on May 24, 2015, 06:36:52 PMLately I've been playing Mega Man Battle Network 2 On my Wii U lately. Pretty good so far, and I'm really enjoying the series. (I beat the first game on VC a while ago so I'm doing as much of the series as I can on Wii U.) After 2 I'll go for BN 3 White, then Battle Chip Challenge, and then BN4 Blue Moon.

Nice! Battle Network's one of my favourite series ever. Sucks that you can't do multiplayer on the VC releases, but I like that they let you get the event only chips at least. I don't really recommend Battle Chip Challenge though, since it doesn't really add anything story-wise, and the "gameplay" isn't that fun.

Quote from: blueflower999 on May 24, 2015, 08:44:41 PMI'm playing through the first one and it's challenging and confusing but fun. The music is pretty great and I like the homages to the classic series.

Yeah, I think the first one was probably the hardest in terms of puzzles and bosses and stuff. The second and third games are also great and add a lot of new features, so I definitely recommend them if you like the first one.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Echo on May 25, 2015, 07:10:15 PMJust get a Sorcerer, then equip Nosferatu and Vantage. >_>
Easier said than done. I just need to make sure my taguel and manaketes are NOT on the same sides as the wyrmslayers and beastbanes.
Seriously, that's one of very few things that could do more than 3 damage to Tiki.

Quote from: Echo on May 25, 2015, 07:10:15 PMI dunno if you care about full story completion and stuff, but if you do, definitely get a guide for the side-quest requirements and stuff. A couple of the requirements are pretty vague, like "have 'X' character be at least a certain level by 'Y' chapter, then do 'Z' in a side-quest to unlock another side-quest," etc. You'll need to do at least a couple of playthroughs to see everything, but all the story content was worth it to me, and it's still my favourite of the localized games.
I have been doing that. I'm on Ch26x right now. Leveling up Nino is going to be such a pain..... I just wish there wasn't a support limit (if I actually got support conversations, that is..)
What's a great non-localized one? I'm thinking about playing one of those soon, but idk where to start.

Echo

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 25, 2015, 07:35:40 PMWhat's a great non-localized one? I'm thinking about playing one of those soon, but idk where to start.

FE6 (Binding Blade) and FE12 (New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow). Both have alright stories (FE6 feels like an homage/parody to Marth's games, FE12 will feel like Shadow Dragon but better in like every way), but where they really shine is in the challenge they give. Plus they're sequels to games you've already played anyways (well, once you're done FE7).

If you just want a good story though, then definitely FE4 (Holy War). The patch isn't as good if I recall though. You can try FE5 after FE4, but again, the patch isn't as good.

FE2 also has a good patch, but the game itself is old and pretty different from the rest.

FE1 and FE3 are pretty much obsolete with the DS remakes.

So yeah, FE6/FE12 or FE4 are my recommendations.

Maelstrom

When you say patch, you are referring to the fan translation, correct?

How much better is 12 than Shadow Dragon? I absolutely hated SD. Just gave up halfway through and haven't regretted it since. And it was right after finishing Sacred Stones, so I guess you can see why I was disappointed.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 25, 2015, 09:10:38 PMI absolutely hated SD. Just gave up halfway through and haven't regretted it since. And it was right after finishing Sacred Stones, so I guess you can see why I was disappointed.
My experience is literally the opposite. :P
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Maelstrom

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on May 25, 2015, 09:13:45 PMMy experience is literally the opposite. :P
Well, I hated the combat animations, the removal of weapon weight, and the fact that all the characters were less than one dimensional. Not to mention the lack of any support conversations whatsoever. All the features introduced in SS were missing (because it was a remake). I now properly appreciate the lack of a world map (I didn't then), but branching class paths are just that awesome. I felt like I was cheated. (young me, at least) There's a reason it's one of the cheapest FE games out there.

Maelstrom

KefkaticFanatic

So, those are all total no-name indies, are any of them actually good...?  Every time I've dived into one of those Humble Bundles usually 90% of them are total shit while 1 is "ok"

me irl
[close]

TheDreamingHawk

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on May 26, 2015, 12:27:49 PMSo, those are all total no-name indies, are any of them actually good...?  Every time I've dived into one of those Humble Bundles usually 90% of them are total shit while 1 is "ok"

In my honest opinion Guacamelee is a FANTASTIC game and is definitely worth your time, especially if you like 2D Metroid games. I can't recommend that game enough. Woah Dave is a decent arcade-style game, if high scores are your thing, and Mighty Switch Force is an OK 3DS Puzzle Platformer game.

As for the more expensive games, I honestly haven't played any of those outside of Steamworld Dig which I found addicting but rather short. But Guacamelee is a MUST in my opinion. You won't regret it

My Video Game review website: http://www.seafoamgaming.com

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

Nebbles

Started playing FE12 this weekend and I'm really enjoying it.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

K-NiGhT

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on May 26, 2015, 12:27:49 PMSo, those are all total no-name indies, are any of them actually good...?  Every time I've dived into one of those Humble Bundles usually 90% of them are total shit while 1 is "ok"
I've heard good things about Guacamelee and mixed reports on OlliOlli, but haven't heard anything about any of the rest of these games.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Maelstrom

Wouldn't call them all terrible. Woah Dave is the only one with generally bad metacritic scores. (And The Fall, but that's mostly criticized for being the first in a trilogy and there has been no word of the follow-ups)
Imo, Guacamelee and Steamworld Dig are excellent and well worth your time, but are the only two on the list that I have played.
Mighty Switch Force was developed by Wayforward (Shantae) and Olimar has an arrangement from it on his page.
I've heard pretty good things about Olliolli as a series, and Stealth Inc. 2. (Metroidvania sequel to a level based stealth multiplat indie that was pretty well received)
And Moon Chronicles is a port of a DS game of the same name made by Renegade Kid, maker of Mutant Mudds (I hate that game, but people seem to like it) and some other stuff.
And, a Nicalis game or two might show up next week to warrant a purchase.

Is it weird that I know all of this?