News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

The Random Facts Topic

Started by SuperFireKirby, August 10, 2009, 12:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobraroll

In Norwegian, the word with the most subesequent vowels is "Saueøyeøyaeier", with 12 (In Norwegian, Y is always a vowel). It means "Owner of sheep's eye island". The reason why it can be put into one word, is because one doesn't split "double-words" in Norwegian, making writing "flowerpot" perfectly legal, for example. Thus, words can in theory be infinitely long.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

SuperFireKirby

In medieval times, one of the many revolting cures for the black plague was drinking dog's blood, when in reality, the plague could have been stopped with soap and water.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Jamaha

Quote from: Cobraroll on August 17, 2009, 11:17:50 PMIn Norwegian, the word with the most subesequent vowels is "Saueøyeøyaeier", with 12 (In Norwegian, Y is always a vowel). It means "Owner of sheep's eye island". The reason why it can be put into one word, is because one doesn't split "double-words" in Norwegian, making writing "flowerpot" perfectly legal, for example. Thus, words can in theory be infinitely long.

Finnish: hääyöaie (= wedding night intention)

GreekGeek

^ Dutch: longest word containing of vowels only: oei :P (meaning "woh")
With most subsequent vowels: eeuw/eieren (meaning "age"/"eggs")

Greek: longest word containing of vowels only: αιει aiei (meaning "always")
With most subsequent vowels: δακρÏ...οεισα dakruoeisa (meaning "shedding tears")

Nana1Popo2

The longest word in the English language containing the least amount of vowels is: strengths
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

SuperFireKirby

The place with the longest name that's still in use is a New Zealand hill called Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwenuakitnatahu

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SuperFireKirby

Almonds are members of the peach family.

GreekGeek

Homosexuality has been spotted by over 1.500 animal species.

Seeker

Just to clarify, that's "one thousand five hundred," not "one and 1/2," right?
This is a signature.

GreekGeek

Sorry, we Dutch guys use the comma and dot the other way round. So 1,500 is "one and a half" here.

I meant 1,500 species.

SirIngusBingus

Heh, I forgot that . and , are switched in Europe.

GreekGeek

It's very annoying, but luckily this time it was clear it wasn't one animal and half an animal.

Sir Awesomesauce

Did you know that Snapple has been promoting false random facts for years? Seriously. Popular ones include: Goldfish have a memory span of 3 seconds, the average American swallows about 6 insect legs in their life while sleeping.

THEY ARE OUT OF CONTROL.
You should read my post, it's probably above this.

Seeker

It was a 16 year old in Australia, I believe, who debunked the goldfish thing.
This is a signature.

Dude

Reimu is a bitch
    â—¦Highly Responsive to Prayers: Reimu goes on a homicidal rampage.
    â—¦Story of Eastern Wonderland: Reimu seeks revenge for Mima's revenge for Reimu's previous rampage.
    â—¦Phantasmagoria of Dim.Dream: Reimu interferes with academia and scientific progress.
    â—¦Lotus Land Story: Reimu kills a youkai who tried to help her.
    â—¦Mystic Square: Reimu orphans Alice and destroys an entire world for it's creator's belief in the free market.
    â—¦The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil: Reimu places a little girl who wanted to go flower gazing under house arrest.
        â– Also, she beats up retarded kids, violates private property, and picks a fight with an asthmatic person. TWICE.
    â—¦Perfect Cherry Blossom: Reimu prevents an innocent girl from being revived.
    â—¦Immaterial and Missing Power: Reimu breaks up parties.
    â—¦Imperishable Night: Reimu strips Gensokyo of it's defences against a Lunar invasion.
    â—¦Phantasmagoria of Flower View: Reimu attacks people for no good reason.
    â—¦Mountain of Faith: Reimu oppresses other religions.
    â—¦Scarlet Weather Rhapsody: Reimu endorses slave labor.
    â—¦Subterranean Animism: Reimu cuts back funding for alternative energy sources.
    â—¦Undefined Fantastic Object: Reimu illegally seizes a merchant ship's cargo, then beats up Jesus.