News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

The Deku Trombonist's Arrangements

Started by The Deku Trombonist, August 28, 2009, 11:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Deku Trombonist

Thanks for the welcome Kefka :P

[NES] Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
  • Credits - Mus | Midi - (Replacement)
  • House - Mus | Midi - (Replacement)
  • Overworld - Mus | Midi - (Replacement)

Urgh. I almost can't be bothered updating this thread anymore. It's just become a giant conglomeration of crap.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

The Deku Trombonist

Nah, I was referring to the giant collection of links also known as the opening post.

Sekter77

So does that mean you're going to re-do your old sheets or scrap all the ones you don't like?
And maybe starting a new, clean thread would have an opening post free from crap so you can feel better updating it.

EDIT: As another question, are you just going to focus on reformatting and updating sheets instead of new arrangements? Or is the new workload just going to put you on hiatus for a while while you help clean up the site? It's great that there's another hand around to keep the site running, so good luck with your new job!
Guitar and video games.

The Deku Trombonist

I don't think I'll go on hiatus but fixing other people's stuff does take time.

Sekter77

You can still keep us updated by posting your fixes as replacements, unless that's too much to post in here. Either way, thanks for cleaning things up.
Guitar and video games.

The Deku Trombonist

[GCN] The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
  • Dampe's Cabin - Mus | Midi - (Replacement)
  • Lake Hylia - Mus | Midi - (Replacement)

Got nothin' to say.

Korados

Ah, Four Swords Adventures, wonderful music, horrible game. imo. Your arrangements are superb as always, Deku, just two things:

Are you sure that Dampe's Cabin is in C major or is that just the chromatism that looks so messy? and concerning Lake Hylia: I'm pretty sure it's G major up to m. 21, then it's C major and then it changes back to G major in m. 29, if I'm right. ;D

The Deku Trombonist

I don't think I really ever played the game that much, although I seem to remember hating the controls.

Dampe's Cabin: Chromaticism gone wrong. It kinda very loosely hangs around C minor (or perhaps G minor) but trying to put a key on this is more trouble than it's worth.

Laky Hylia: I'm pretty sure you're right, thanks ;)

WiiMan96

Got some comments for two sheets you posted a while ago. :P

Puzzle Plank Galaxy is awesome on every level. Really good job with this. Only two minor problems I can find with it:
  • The chord leading into the melody in measure 8 is fairly awkward to play in terms of fingering. Perhaps try moving the bottom note of the chord into the bass?
  • I'm fairly certain that the piece is written in D. (The I IV V chord progression in the middle suggests this.) The only C# is in the form of an A chord in said chord progression but I'm sure it's enough to warrant a fix to the key.

Petalburg is one of my most favourite pieces from PM:TTYD, and you've done it great justice; it actually sounds better on Finale than the original thing, would you believe. :P However, there is one thing really bugging me about it:
  • When the main melody repeats for a second time in the original, it's played by another instrument an octave lower than the first time around. I believe the change in tonal colour is a really important aspect of the piece, and lowering that octave would cause huge problems in incorporating the counter melody, and the left hand without clashing... perhaps raise the first play of the melody an octave?I guess this one's more about taste than anything else, and I know you tried to remedy a similar problem by removing the staccato the second time, so I'll leave you to decide what to do with it. :)
  • Also, the left hand does go fairly high above the stave in many cases, often more than it is in the bass range... yet another case of "your decision", but I'm thinking changing the left hand to a treble clef also?

Seriously great arranging, Deku. Hope I helped. :D

The Deku Trombonist

Puzzle Plank Galaxy:
Actually... I wrote the chord in measure 8 on the wrong beat :P But I'm not sure if moving it onto the corrct beat has made it more awkward. But I moved the bottom note to the left
hand anyway. Key signature, fixed. Other small things, fixed.

Petalburg:
I don't really think it needs a clef change seeing as the highest it goes most of the time is G, 3 ledger lines up. But if I was to put into treble then the lowest it would generally go is Eb, which is 3 ledger lines down. Not much difference in my opinion. But I did add a couple of 8va's for the few high Bb's and C's. As for the melody, as you said, I guess the best idea I could think of at the time was removing the staccatos. I raised the melody up an octave, I think it sounds alright there.

Just give me a couple of minutes to update the links. I'll put them here when I'm done.

[GCN] Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  • Petalburg - Mus | Midi - (Replacement)

[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy 2

WiiMan96

Perfect! Clef-changing reasoning makes sense. Thanks for all this.

Forgot to mention before, but the reason I'm able to give help in these areas is because I've printed off and started learning both of them. Great job once again.  ;D

Nana1Popo2

I have to say Puzzle Plank Galaxy is really exceptional! I love that song and was thinking about how an arrangement would sound, but you really surpassed my expectations!! haha :D great job, love it!

too bad i cant open the mus. in Finale 2009, however... >.<
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

The Deku Trombonist

Nana1Popo2

yeah, i probably will, because there are other songs, too, that id like to listen to but cant >_<
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16