Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Maelstrom

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 20, 2014, 06:58:10 AMI've become such a spastic saver because of shit like this. Now I press Ctrl+s so often that sometimes I haven't even made changes to save.
I haven't had finale crash, but whenever I unplug my midi keyboard without "safely removing hardware," my computer slows down and freezes.

Jompa

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 20, 2014, 06:58:10 AMI've become such a spastic saver because of shit like this. Now I press Ctrl+s so often that sometimes I haven't even made changes to save.
Me too, but it's been a while since I last had a crash, so I've been letting my guard down lately.
But it fucking crashed while I was saving - I'm pretty sure it was because I was saving as well, so I totally blame Finale this time...
Birdo for Smash

Zunawe

I haven't had finale crash yet, but it breaks pretty frequently. Shapes, accents, and expressions will default to one thing and I have to restart it.

Two things made me an excessive saver. Skyrim and my no detections run of Dishonored. I'll safe files immediately that only had the font size changed.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Jompa on May 20, 2014, 06:20:07 AMWhy the fuck does Finale crash from SAVING!?!!?!?!?!?!?!? That's so bullshit!!! GRAAAAAAAAAH!!!! Four hours of work is just gone!!!!!!GODDAMMIT!!!!!
I feel really sorry for the next person I see, because they'll get this anger taken out on them...
Once, I had a Paint file corrupt from saving it. It was a really neat Pokémon Sprite Fusion.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

braix

We should have a "What are you eating right now thread" thread.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: zoroark1264 on May 21, 2014, 01:53:25 PMWe should have a "What are you eating right now thread" thread.
I thought there was already a food thread (something related to pictures of food?)?
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

braix

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on May 21, 2014, 02:30:23 PMI thought there was already a food thread (something related to pictures of food?)?
Found it. xD
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

fingerz

Quote from: Jompa on May 20, 2014, 06:20:07 AMWhy the fuck does Finale crash from SAVING!?!!?!?!?!?!?!? That's so bullshit!!! GRAAAAAAAAAH!!!! Four hours of work is just gone!!!!!!GODDAMMIT!!!!!
I feel really sorry for the next person I see, because they'll get this anger taken out on them...
Mine does that if I use the PDF or XML file exporter if it's a huge file. XD
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Bubbles

Does anyone know of any good websites or books that have jazz sheet music? I've been trying to find decent sheets for about a month now and idk if I'm looking wrong or what but I can't find any.

And no, this isn't completely because of Sakamichi no Apollon, it just reawakened my love for jazz

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bubbles

Thanks, but it doesn't look like there's piano sheets there though. I probably should've said that I only play piano oops

Jompa

I usually go here for jazz standards (though they are lacking some of my favorites):
http://www.guitarcats.com/realbook-jazz-standards/A

The phone app "iRealB" is AMAZING for this kinda stuff!!!!! though they don't provide the melody...

Quote from: Bubbles on May 23, 2014, 01:21:12 PMThanks, but it doesn't look like there's piano sheets there though. I probably should've said that I only play piano oops
Bubbles, the gem of jazz is improvisation. You only need the lead melody and the chord progression, and then you, the musical performer, make this "jazz-standard" (which I define as "any song you can jazz up") into your own thing more or less. That's what this kind of jazz means.
I think what you're looking for is written down arrangements, but it's very limited to how much good of that you'll find, and not to be rude to anyone or anything, but "only playing of the sheet" is extremely conflicting towards what "being a jazz-musician" means.
To put it this way:
The jazz standard arrangements from Sakamichi no Apollon didn't have every note written out for them in advance, and they most likely only practiced with lead sheets and chord progressions. They just decided on the form and jammed to it. It's not like you need any more than that. That's how "this kind of" jazz works.
Birdo for Smash

Olimar12345

Most jazz stuff you find will be in leadsheet format, since instrumentation isn't set and improvisation is kind of what it's all about. Early piano studies might have transcribed jazz-like stuff. You could also look into ragtime and stride piano, as those are written out.

Ninja'd

Edit: Though, Bubbles, if you would like to be able to read leadsheets, I have an essay from the great pianist and composer, Joe LoCascio about reading leadsheets, comping, chord voicings, and other stuff that helps for beginners. Shoot me a pm if you want a copy :J
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bubbles

Yeah I know jazz is supposed to be mostly improv and that kind of stuff, but since I have zero background in anything remotely related to that I was hoping to have a few written down ones so I could practice and get the feel for what I'm supposed to be doing. I could listen to a song and transcribe my own lead sheet, but adding anything else besides the main melody is where I hit a wall (and it's a very thick wall)