News:

change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nakah

Quote from: FierceDeity on June 30, 2014, 06:52:33 PMWell, it seems like you're already doing one thing wrong, and that's thinking about what to say XD

The reason a lot of people hate small talk is because it seems pointless, aimless, and superficial. That's because a lot of the things people say just end up being more of rehearsed formalities, repeated points of interest, etc. But if you come at it with a genuine interest in how the other person's doing, I've found it can be a lot more interesting. Don't worry about what specific things you say, because then it ends up being less interaction, more "waiting for your turn to talk". Just open up asking somebody how things are going, and go from there. If they provide a substantial response, talk about that. If they don't, and just return some similarly generic response ("Not much, what's up with you?"), don't be afraid to talk about yourself. But after that, just remember to ask about them. If you were talking about your job, ask them about theirs. Schoolwork, same thing. Some new show you're watching/game you're playing...well, you get the idea. My point is, ask genuine questions, and answer questions genuinely. If you actually end up talking about something substantial that you can talk freely about, that's great. My best friends are the ones where that happens automatically. But you're not always going to be talking to your best friends, or even people you have much common ground with. But, either way, you're both people, you both have days/lives that have been going some way or another, so there's always something to talk about.

Best description I've read in a while. Usually the initial formalities are just a way to break the ice. Although it's fun to throw people off by going into a conversation as if you already understand where they're coming from, and that can  be quite useful for getting others to open up about their actual lives.

SlowPokemon

Small talk is my least favorite thing in the universe.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Ruto

My professor met up with dahans in Austria and described him as "smart, but flakey." I guess internet perceptions are pretty accurate.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

K-NiGhT

Got my new phone yesterday! I got a Galaxy S4 :3
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

SlowPokemon

Quote from: mariolegofan on July 02, 2014, 07:18:14 AMSkyward Sword or Twilight Princess?

From everything I've heard, Twilight Princess.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 02, 2014, 10:18:04 AMFrom everything I've heard, Twilight Princess.
Ditto. 'Cept I say it from experience.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Zunawe

Twilight Princess is the better game. Skyward Sword is more fun if you've played a lot of Zelda games.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

KefkaticFanatic

Skyward Sword is enjoyable for the lore and it has some interesting dungeons, but overall lacks the expansive exploration that you have with Twilight Princess.  It does at least attempt to experiment with the motion plus controls to varying degrees of success, but overall I personally find TP to be a superior game, even with the waggle-palooza on Wii.

me irl
[close]

mikey

Skyward Sword if you like the dungeon/storyline part of zelda
TP has pretty cool hidden dungeons and sidequests though
unmotivated

FierceDeity

I loved both, but I preferred Skyward Sword for the score. A lot of people didn't like either art style, but I liked both for different reasons. Twilight Princess's just made everything seem so ominous and desperate, and that made me super invested in it when I was a kid. Skyward Sword's is, obviously, a lot lighter, so I feel like it was a better adaptation of the series's older aesthetics to newer graphics. Nothing about the gameplay of either particularly stands out to me from the rest of the Zelda series, but I do like Skyward Sword's combat more because, you know, less shitty motion controls. It may have gotten a bit arbitrary at times ("Ok, now you need to attack this guy from the one direction that he isn't guarding with his swords!"), but it still beats the wiimote flailing/button mashing prevalent in pretty much every other 3D Zelda game.

As for exploration, I definitely did like the more expansive world of TP (it felt like Shadow of the Colossus at times, tbh). But I also liked that you revisit each area so much in Skyward Sword; it adds a level of autonomous existence to each zone ("You mean this area exists for a reason other than for me to get to this one temple to acquire this one item? MADNESS!"). I remember one of my friends was complaining how it has "less zones than ocarina of time" and uhhhhh nopety nope nope. Sure, there's no "shadowy area" or "spiritual area" or "light area" (which was really just the Temple of Time but meh), but each of the other three elements (except Nayru's now all about electricity for some reason) is covered in soooo much more depth. Also, if anybody actually counts the Kakariko Graveyard as its own "elemental zone", then I don't even know what to think anymore.

But seriously though, THE SCORE, MY GOD. It's the first fully orchestrated game in the series, and everything just sounds so fucking majestic. Like, yeah, Twilight Princess had a really good score too, but...holy shit.

mikey

Quote from: FierceDeity on July 02, 2014, 04:18:51 PMI loved both, but I preferred Skyward Sword for the score. A lot of people didn't like either art style, but I liked both for different reasons. Twilight Princess's just made everything seem so ominous and desperate, and that made me super invested in it when I was a kid. Skyward Sword's is, obviously, a lot lighter, so I feel like it was a better adaptation of the series's older aesthetics to newer graphics. Nothing about the gameplay of either particularly stands out to me from the rest of the Zelda series, but I do like Skyward Sword's combat more because, you know, less shitty motion controls. It may have gotten a bit arbitrary at times ("Ok, now you need to attack this guy from the one direction that he isn't guarding with his swords!"), but it still beats the wiimote flailing/button mashing prevalent in pretty much every other 3D Zelda game.

As for exploration, I definitely did like the more expansive world of TP (it felt like Shadow of the Colossus at times, tbh). But I also liked that you revisit each area so much in Skyward Sword; it adds a level of autonomous existence to each zone ("You mean this area exists for a reason other than for me to get to this one temple to acquire this one item? MADNESS!"). I remember one of my friends was complaining how it has "less zones than ocarina of time" and uhhhhh nopety nope nope. Sure, there's no "shadowy area" or "spiritual area" or "light area" (which was really just the Temple of Time but meh), but each of the other three elements (except Nayru's now all about electricity for some reason) is covered in soooo much more depth. Also, if anybody actually counts the Kakariko Graveyard as its own "elemental zone", then I don't even know what to think anymore.

But seriously though, THE SCORE, MY GOD. It's the first fully orchestrated game in the series, and everything just sounds so fucking majestic. Like, yeah, Twilight Princess had a really good score too, but...holy shit.
I thought it was only mostly orchestrated
unmotivated

Bubbles

For some reason, when I remember Twilight Princess I remember it as a perfect amazing game and probably my favorite in the series, but whenever I try to replay it I get past the first dungeon and think "meh". I actually prefer TP's soundtrack to SS (full orchestration doesn't really mean anything to me, go ahead and kill me now). My favorite characters came from TP, and the Twilight Realm was probably my favorite place/concept of all the Zelda games. I still really liked SS though, and I would definitely replay it five times before TP once.

The real question is, why are you comparing them? They're both on the top of the list when it comes to Zelda games, but one just has fancier technology than the other (Wind Waker is up there personally for me too but that's just because I have a weakness for cute things)

FierceDeity

Quote from: Bubbles on July 02, 2014, 04:28:40 PMThe real question is, why are you comparing them?

Because MLF asked us to, hahahaha

And I mean, they're both definitely up at the top for me...but not for a lot of people. A lot of people passionately hate both games, and I've yet to truly understand why :/ literally every time I ask somebody who says they do, they're just like "Ugh Twilight Princess's art is just too DARK, and Skyward Sword's is just MEH". And that is the extent of their critique. Oh, also: "WIND WAKAR SUPERIAR BEECASS CELL SHAEDING AHMGZZZZ"
...Like, don't get me wrong, I also like Wind Waker. But most (not all) of the people who champion it tend to insult my favorite games in the process, as well as having no actual compliments to give WW other than "cell shading" and "OMG EXPLORATION. SO MANY ISLANDS. WOW"